Autotrail Habitation Door lever (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh no, our inside door lever has stopped working so now I have to open the door window so I can get out. The lever itself is showing no sign of damage so I'm guessing its the same cable fault I read about on FB. There is no tension at all on it.

Has anyone done a home remedy fix or will I just have to pay over £100 for a new lock?
door lock.jpg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Can't comment on whats on facebook but you need to access the mechanism,not too bad a job as our handle broke so I had to fix it!

Remove bin
Remove the grey handle.
If you pull the silver handle there is a small screw behind it holding the black plastic backing ,remove this and the black plastic.
Round the edge of the door where the plastic moulding meets the edge of the door there is black? rubber gasket,if you find the join it can be pulled out to release the moulding.
The last bit is the tricky bit because the moulding is stuck with a releasable
glue round the window and takes some getting off!

Would take some photos but not got AT anymore!

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Oh no, our inside door lever has stopped working so now I have to open the door window so I can get out. The lever itself is showing no sign of damage so I'm guessing its the same cable fault I read about on FB. There is no tension at all on it.

Has anyone done a home remedy fix or will I just have to pay over £100 for a new lock?
View attachment 92792
I've had similar problems with the hab door. You can strip them, but they are a mare and quite fiddly.

First take off the bin. Then there's a ring of screws around the outside of the door (covered by the rubber seal). These will need to all come out. There's also a screw behind the inside lever. This is perticulaly fiddly.

The doors also held on by a glued seal, so will need to be prised off and the seal broken. There's no need to strip the locking catches on the side of the door. Once the cover is released, it'll need to be manipulated and moved from them. You'll also need to drop the upper leaver through the gap (once the screws removed).

The cover will then need to be supported as the electrical cable runs through (you can see it in the picture).

It's not an easy job, but is possible, depending on the competency of whomever does the job.

Once inside, you can see what the problem is. Chances are that a clip has come free and will need to be clipped back again.

Done mine twice, as the cab door locks aren't the best.

Hope it helps :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
@rb62 @PP Bear Did you fix it or replace it? It seems to be a common fault.
I've stripped and repaired it twice, but for different problems. Never had a problem with the inside lever, but once the inner of the door is removed, you have clear access to all parts.

Good luck :)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The actual lock handle get stiffer and stiffer to operate because they are assembled by Hartal? and shipped to AT as a unit without any lubrication.What broke on ours was the main bracket that holds the pivot pins for the handle, I fabricated a new one!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@rb62 do you have any photos of the part you fabricated? I might be able to get it made from a local engineering company I deal with.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Unfortunatly not,
If your handle doesn't feel loose I should think it's more likley to be a problem with the linkage rather than the bracket ,steel pins and monkey metal levers don't go together well !

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thinking about it if you take the black plastic off behind the interior handle you might be able to see whats broken,didn't you have a camera on a stalk when you were looking for your missing insulation?
I'm sure the lads at John Cross put something about this on here but can't find it.!
Just be thankful you can still open it at all!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good idea Richard. Yes can have a look with endoscope and take photos tonight if I can get the black bit off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back