Habitation door lock broken ... argh! (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We are hundreds of miles from home and my dear wife put the key in the door and it only went in half way, so now we can't lock the door properly as the button inside seems stuck too. We finally managed to get the inner button to press so it is currently locked, and we are now have to scramble over the driver's seat to get in and out. Not good.

Anyone got any genius ideas, tips or suggestions?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh dear!
Same thing happened to us a couple of months ago. The remote locking had failed (since repaired/loose wire),and I tried to open the hab door from the inside at the same time as the duchess tried it with the key from the outside.
Now it doesn’t open at all from the outside, but can use manual handle from inside.
Booked in to be repaired at vast cost in a couple of weeks time,as I’m not going to tackle it myself. The cost of the lock from Rapido in France is a bit naughty,I don’t have the figure with me at the mo,but it’s about £210 from memory.
I hope you have better luck with yours.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are hundreds of miles from home and my dear wife put the key in the door and it only went in half way, so now we can't lock the door properly as the button inside seems stuck too. We finally managed to get the inner button to press so it is currently locked, and we are now have to scramble over the driver's seat to get in and out. Not good.

Anyone got any genius ideas, tips or suggestions?

We had similar problem when touring(we only have hab door) and we just got one of those external locking arms fitted, which swing across the door. It formed extra security after the lock was repaired.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If it’s Autotrail, take off the inner panel then you can see all the mechanism.
Otherwise look on the “Motorhome specific”section on here in case there is a solution.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had the solenoid go on mine I think the repair was getting on for ÂŁ300. It would unlock from the inside, but we had to go in through the front door and walk through to open it until we could get it fixed.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had similar problem when touring(we only have hab door) and we just got one of those external locking arms fitted, which swing across the door. It formed extra security after the lock was repaired.

Geoff

An external locking arm? I've not seen those. I shall have to check into it. Thanks Nichol.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Oh dear!
Same thing happened to us a couple of months ago. The remote locking had failed (since repaired/loose wire),and I tried to open the hab door from the inside at the same time as the duchess tried it with the key from the outside.
Now it doesn’t open at all from the outside, but can use manual handle from inside.
Booked in to be repaired at vast cost in a couple of weeks time,as I’m not going to tackle it myself. The cost of the lock from Rapido in France is a bit naughty,I don’t have the figure with me at the mo,but it’s about £210 from memory.
I hope you have better luck with yours.

Gosh! Sorry to hear that Podney Why is everything on motorhomes always so crazy expensive?

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Head for home maybe🤷‍♀️🤔

Might have no option. We're a bit perplexed now as to what to do anyway, due to the lockdown. Reality is, we've been pretty much self isolating whilst traveling. Don't know if locking down in a motorhome is allowed.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I should have rung a locksmith today shouldn't I? We were too busy enjoying out last day of freedom. I wonder if they'll come out during lockdown.

I would think a locksmith is an essential service, you can't secure your van, can you!?

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would think a locksmith is an essential service, you can't secure your van, can you!?

My dear wife somehow managed to get the button inside to lock it (after I'd been trying unsuccessfully for ten minutes) so at least the van is safe when we're out, but we dare not unlock it just in case, so we're having to wiggle in through the driver or passenger seat. The dog keeps going to the main door and looking at us like we're weird and wondering what we're doing.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
My dear wife somehow managed to get the button inside to lock it (after I'd been trying unsuccessfully for ten minutes) so at least the van is safe when we're out, but we dare not unlock it just in case, so we're having to wiggle in through the driver or passenger seat. The dog keeps going to the main door and looking at us like we're weird and wondering what we're doing.

Ah, not too bad then, I'd still ring a auto locksmith and tell them you are having trouble with the lock, you might not get far because they probably won't know hab door locks but it's worth a few phone calls.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ah, not too bad then, I'd still ring a auto locksmith and tell them you are having trouble with the lock, you might not get far because they probably won't know hab door locks but it's worth a few phone calls.

Yes. I'll make sure to do that just in case. At least it happened towards the end of our last trip of the year, so that's a positive.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you are in Hastings there is an excellent motorhome dealer and service centre close by. John’s Cross have a good reputation and are right on the A21 between Hastings and Robertsbridge.
They might be able to help.
Best of luck

Richard.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
An external locking arm? I've not seen those. I shall have to check into it. Thanks Nichol.
Fiamma Safe Door Frame White Security Lock Caravan Motorhome 08022-01-
This is on Ebay ÂŁ45 ish we have them on our hab door and both garage doors (but the older versions)

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fiamma Safe Door Frame White Security Lock Caravan Motorhome 08022-01-
This is on Ebay ÂŁ45 ish we have them on our hab door and both garage doors (but the older versions)

Just had a look and they look as though they'd be a useful addition any way, and possibly for the garage doors too. I'll show it to the wife and see if I can get a requisition order drafted for ebay :)

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you are in Hastings there is an excellent motorhome dealer and service centre close by. John’s Cross have a good reputation and are right on the A21 between Hastings and Robertsbridge.
They might be able to help.
Best of luck

Richard.

That would be awesome. I wonder if they'll be open when lockdown kicks in tomorrow.

I will give them a call first thing in the morning. Thanks Clarky.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
When you have taken the cover off a photo would help. We had a small spring break in ours , if yours is same I have a good contact for a cheap replacement, in the UK!

colyboy

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Just along the coast from you are jc leisure in rye 01797227337 they are in the port

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When you have taken the cover off a photo would help. We had a small spring break in ours , if yours is same I have a good contact for a cheap replacement, in the UK!

colyboy

I dare not take the cover off. My record of DIY would mean we'd have to drive home with the door hanging off or something similar. Ever since I set fire to my wife's car when I put in a new audio system I've been banned from meddling. I'm amazed she still married me after that fiasco.

I did manage to take these photos in the lovely sunshine this morning though. Are they of any help.

Attachments

• lock4.jpg
    lock4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 57
  • lock3.jpg
    lock3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 59
  • lock2.jpg
    lock2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 59
  • lock1.jpg
    lock1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 58
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
The Milenco Inside and Outside Operating Security Door Lock 4178 is good because as well as closing it when you leave the van, you can close it from inside once you are snugged up for the night!

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Similar problem with our Hymer hab door. A part sheared off inside, it’s locked but I too have to use the front door.

Having tried and failed to source a replacement part I ended up ordering the entire inner side fitting from Travelworld. I just hope it matches the bit on the outside. Three weeks to wait and ÂŁ150 when all I need is a small part...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back