Habitation Check moisture readings (1 Viewer)

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Have just had our annual Hab. check and the schematic drawings of our Chasson Flash 626 (2014) had numbers around all the relevant points where moisture readings were taken. Has anyone any idea what they refer to as they read as follows: 11, 10, 9 etc.

They reported only one point by a garage door hinge that was higher but as I have since learnt they are a gang of "rip-off" merchants have no intention of letting them touch it. They even managed to flood the floor when changing the bathroom tap cylinder which seems to have left it discoloured in places.!
Cheers

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Any reading under about 12 is normal as I understand it. I tend to look at previous readings and note any increase and of there is, investigate further.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Any reading under about 12 is normal as I understand it. I tend to look at previous readings and note any increase and of there is, investigate further.
Cheers,
Any idea what the numbers may refer to?
Saltings

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Cheers,
Any idea what the numbers may refer to?
Saltings
I think they are just a % moisture figure and will vary slightly with atmospheric moisture levels, if you are doing your own checks you can leave a piece of plywood or hardboard in the van and then test this along with the structure of the van and it will give you a baseline atmospheric moisture level which should not be very different to the van structure.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another important thing if you plan on doing it yourself is to keep records of where you test and the readings in each spot and ensure you always test in the same places. You're looking for consistent readings in every place every time.

As a rough rule of thumb over 20 generally indicates water is getting in but if a particular place is always 10 then creeps up to 12, 14, 16 over a period of time that should ring alarm bells. Don't wait until it gets to 20 before you start to worry about it, if water is getting in the sooner you spot it and investigate it the less damage it will do.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Nick
Thanks for the comments. Having had dry/wet rot in a house we have been through the nightmare of finding rot and what had to be done to eradicate it. In our case (with house) water ingress around windows was the culprit so all 13 windows are now replaced and wood two meters either side taken away as a safeguard! As you rightly say it is to keep an eye and an accurate record of the all readings and to take them in the same places every time. Good tip to keep a "control" just to ensure the meter remains accurate.
Do you use any particular meter?
Cheers
Saltings

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Thanks for the help.

One basic question which I would like views on - for those having a hab. check done by an agent do members find that those carrying them out use a NON-OBTRUSIVE or an OBTRUSIVE moisture metre. Obviously the first doen't leave a mark whilst the second leaves two rather obvious holes in the interior walls.

Reason for asking is we suddenly found we had holes in the interior walls of our motor home that have been made by those carrying out the moisture check. This was done without evewr mentioning anything to us prior or after the check.

Would like to get views prior to approaching the agent - yet again!
Saltings

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Have just had our annual Hab. check and the schematic drawings of our Chasson Flash 626 (2014) had numbers around all the relevant points where moisture readings were taken. Has anyone any idea what they refer to as they read as follows: 11, 10, 9 etc.

They reported only one point by a garage door hinge that was higher but as I have since learnt they are a gang of "rip-off" merchants have no intention of letting them touch it. They even managed to flood the floor when changing the bathroom tap cylinder which seems to have left it discoloured in places.!
Cheers
These are the "rip-off" merchants (Elite Motorhomes, Banbury), mentioned earlier. So have since learnt that both Brownhills and Marquis (both sizeable dealers) only use non-obtrusive meters unless in an area that is hidden and needs further investigation.

The killing part is we paid them virtually £1K to service the engine, carry out a hab. check, do a small repair and ehat did we get: one flat battery that burnt out, and holes in the internal walls that can be seen from the opposite side - 3 ms. away!! :sick::sick:

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Every check I have had done is with an non obtrusive meter, either numbers or a traffic light system. The meters with prongs I use for logs at home. The walls of a motorhome will be damaged as you have found out to your cost. One of my readings in the garage was 20, but recommended waiting for 3 months then it was below 10. Could have been just a false reading. 1k for an engine service and small jobs. Wow

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Guidelines taken from A.W.S damp report

Readings between 0 - 15% no cause for concern
Readings between 16% - 20% require further investigation . Compare with the average reading. Consider asking to recheck the area in three months.
Readings above 21% will identify areas possibly needing remedial work. There may be signs of water ingress or evidence of moisture. Again it may be worth considering a recheck after 3 months.
Readings above 30% structural damage may be occurring and deterioration is inevitable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back