Hab check on 2 year old Globecar Campscout (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our Campscout will be 2 years old in 4 weeks time and will be due for its second hab check. I am quite capable of doing this myself as I have a damp meter and a manometer.
All my other vans were coach built with seams and wooden floors so I had the checks done every year and books stamped.
Seeing as our van is a PVC I’m wondering whether or not to get it dealer checked or not.
What do other PVC owners do?

John.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good question
Ask the Globecar expert @Minxy Girl , she will defo know.
Les

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have a PVC and only had the hab check done initially to maintain the warranty. I now just arrange a gas check every 2/3 years - which reminds me it is due!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The Globecar has a 2-year hab warranty so my tendency would be to get the dealer to conduct the 2nd hab check within the last few days of the warranty period to ensure that if any faults had developed in the 2nd year then they would be officially recorded and covered.

I may be wrong with the warranty T&Cs John but I'm assuming that if a problem is officially discovered in any part of the 2-year period then the warranty will still be honoured even if the actual work itself is done outside of the warranty timeline.

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've never had a hab check done on any van, normally not required on German vans for the warranty. I always have the damp check done but that is questionable if it's worth while on a PVC. It would protect you from the risk of furniture damage from leaking rooflight/window seals etc., but thats about all. Also depends on what silly money that want out of you, we pay £60 for a damp check on our A Clas, we get it done in Belgium UK prices are just a rip off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good question
Ask the Globecar expert @Minxy Girl , she will defo know.
Les
Thanks for your confidence but I'm no expert, just a 'user' of them with some knowledge! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Neckender - our camper is coming up to it's 1st birthday in a month's time and we've been pondering what to do ourselves as PVC's don't suffer the same fate as some coachbuilts do with water ingress from 'seams' on roof, body panels etc (leaky skylight etc accepted as a possible risk factor) so the water ingress warranty doesn't particularly bother us. However, our's has just developed a fault with the control panel which will be covered under warranty at the present time but obviously if it hadn't happened now and we hadn't had the hab check done it wouldn't be covered by Globecar but 'might' be by the company who made it, Schaudt I believe.

I'm going to get in touch with our dealer (250 miles away) to see if the panel can be sent to me to fit and at the same time ask about having the hab check done locally by an independent chap who we've used many times without a problem and see if the dealer will then accept this and enter the info on the Globecar system. This may well make our minds up whether to have a check done or not.

With our previous Globecar we had the first one done by Ash (£90 all in) at Peterborouth show as Dethleffs were part of the AWS then, but they're not now. As for the second year ... we didn't bother but then we had the 'shower tray' issue (remember that!) but as it was a 'fault' which was there from the start due it it not having the sub-frame support fitted they eventually replaced it ... after a battle.

At the end of the second year, if you're content that everything is okay and working as it should, there's little to be gained by having it done unless you want to 'keep' the water ingress warranty and then you'll be in the situation of having this discussion with yourself every year!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
However, our's has just developed a fault with the control panel which will be covered under warranty at the present time but obviously if it hadn't happened now and we hadn't had the hab check done it wouldn't be covered by Globecar but 'might' be by the company who made it, Schaudt I believe.
Normally German vans don't require a hab check to keep the warranty but a lot of UK dealers will try to tell you otherwise.
When we bought our first Hymer I asked our dealer about hab check his answer was "Why, don't worry about it. If you want have one done at 5 years".

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Problem with Globecar though Lenny is that if you try to ask them direct they just refer you back to their UK agent, aka SMC ... so you can never get an 'aus dem mund des pferdes' answer.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A gas safety check is highly advisable, joints can start to leak over time.
I had SMC do my habitation service just before my warranty expired and they did a good job

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Problem with Globecar though Lenny is that if you try to ask them direct they just refer you back to their UK agent, aka SMC ... so you can never get an 'aus dem mund des pferdes' answer.

@Minxy Girl Would that be from the horses mouth then Mel.

John.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve booked a hab service with SMC and they’re that busy that I’ve got to wait 7 weeks before they can do it.
This will deffinatly be the last time as the warranty will have run out and as I’ve said I’m quite capable of doing it myself.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... and how much are they charging for it now John?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i didn't bother in the end.
I am working on the premise that a PVC is inherently more watertight than a Coachbuilt / A class, so damp is much less likely to be an issue, except around roof lights, which i can check.
I have the contact details of a mobile MH service ghap who does gas checks, so i will get him out to check the gas appliances out and i'll buy a damp meter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back