Grey waste containers (1 Viewer)

sarahj237bren

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
elddis 155
Hi all.

We bought a waste hog to help us empty our motorhome grey waste without moving the vehicle.

We used it this weekend and it was awful. Problems listed below:

Far too heavy when full so large to store and can only fill half way.

Wheels kept falling off.

When emptying, I had to pull it up a small ramp (fine) then try to pull it into the disposal area so that the water went down the drain. I undid the top screw cap to release pressure (or so I thought) then undid the bottom one. Water gushed everywhere but down the drain including all over my feet. On the second attempt I didn’t fully open the bottom cap and it did dribble out but then I opened some more and another gush of manky water all over my feet. It was so difficult to aim into the drain too.

There was no problem with the site facilities, the slope was gentle and not long so I think this was probably the easiest it’s going to get

Also the caps kept threading and leaking.
Does anyone have a better solution / product
/ tactic that they can recommend please?

Many thanks.
Sarah

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome 👍🏻
We use the waste master . It’s best to unscrew the bottom cap first and then the top one to increase the flow . You could use a collapsible bucket but obviously this will take along time and lots of trips to empty a full waste tank .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sarahj237bren

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
elddis 155
Hello and welcome 👍🏻
We use the waste master . It’s best to unscrew the bottom cap first and then the top one to increase the flow . You could use a collapsible bucket but obviously this will take along time and lots of trips to empty a full waste tank .
Does this not cover you with waste water? I tried just undoing the bottom cap and it gushed out and then both but still awful.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you. I wanted to avoid multiple trips with a bucket 😩
Then stick with it . Consider changing to a Wastemaster as these are lower profile and fit under the van better , the hog is quite a bulky unit . Sounds like you had a particularly difficult grey water emptying point as well . Other alternative is to use the on-site facilities for showers 👍🏻

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a Wastemaster... but I've only used it a handful of times for it's proper purpose. It's very sturdy, it mostly got used as a ride-on toy by my nieces. We tend to move a lot, so we use drive-over points most of the time. It doesn't even fit in the new van, so we're going to have to get rid at some point.

I think the disadvantage of the Wastemaster is that due to its shape, it's quite hard to get the quoted capacity out of it.

OP
OP
S

sarahj237bren

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
elddis 155
If the one you have is to heavy then you are going to have to fill it less and make more trips 🤔
Yes, I was resigned to that but the gushing grotty water needs resolving too 😩

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I don't get that problem I try to avoid sites.
Understood . I was trying to help the OP who appears to be new to this . I agree a motorhome service point is easier but not all sites have them and it’s not always convenient for some people once they have set up camp for a few days . 👍🏻Just different styles of motorhome holiday 👍🏻

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I thought you always carried an extension pipe for those occasions?
Good idea and a practical one 👍🏻. The only problem is the wardens wouldn’t allow it as you will be “ blocking the road while you park” . Although I am sure it could be done before they spotted you 👍🏻. We have the collapz waste pipes that we use on serviced pitches so could use those if required .

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I know a lot of people tend to use the site facilities for showers and doing the dishes. I guess if you do that, bucket'ing the grey doesn't seem too bad as you're not generating much. We tend to use our own facilities, so I'd need to make quite a lot of bucket runs per day.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I know a lot of people tend to use the site facilities for showers and doing the dishes. I guess if you do that, bucket'ing the grey doesn't seem too bad as you're not generating much. We tend to use our own facilities, so I'd need to make quite a lot of bucket runs per day.
Absolutely. It’s not practical to be making 10 trips to and from the waste point if you are holidaying with a large family and using the onboard facilities. Much the same as it isn’t practical to be driving the van back and forth to the motorhome service point on a daily basis when you have a full camp set up . Not everyone travels as a couple and moves sites every 1-2 days 👍🏻

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We have a waste hog and understand the issue.
To empty we lay it flat and then take off the bottom cap.
Then lift with the handle and water comes out. Unscrew the top cap slowly to allow air in to stop the gluggling at the bottom. Don’t take the top cap right off because then you have no control and the water just pours out in one gush.
Eventually the water flow will slow and you can tip the hog vertical.
Remember - practise helps, the more times you do it the easier it becomes.
HTH.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are going to insist on punishing yourself rather than driving to the dump point get yourself a Wastemaster, far superior to the crappy Waste Hog.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Presumably, although the OP doesn't want to have make lots of trips to empty the grey water they still have to make almost as many trips to fill the fresh water tank unless they drive to a service point, in which case they could empty the onboard tank at the same time?
They might have an Aquaroll and use that for freshwater fill up👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back