Government to ban old tyres on heavy vehicles. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Should really apply to all vehicles a tyre is the only thing that keeps you connected with the ground once micro cracks appear or the tyre starts to harden, they are degrading, I always change my tyres one set in one of my vehicles which is not used much had 6mm tread depth and about 7 years old. It just makes sense to keep your tyres on good condition whatever vehicle it is.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Be interesting to see if a corresponding ban on sales of tyres 'out of date' is proposed, bet its not!
Retailers should however 'step up' and start quoting the 'change by' date of any tyre sold to enable us to understand the stock age.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Be interesting to see if a corresponding ban on sales of tyres 'out of date' is proposed, bet its not!
Retailers should however 'step up' and start quoting the 'change by' date of any tyre sold to enable us to understand the stock age.

The month and year of manufacture is embossed on the tyre wall, so one can work out the stock age to date of purchase.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Does anyone know how this affects foreign trucks?

Do other countries have age-of-tyre rules?
Does a truck have to conform to "country of origin" rules or "country of use" rules?
Given that we are able to use our vehicles in EU under UK rules until 2021, is the situation likely to change next year?

TIA - Gordon

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Early 60's Mr Dennis P. would NOT allow " Retreads" on the front axle...and at the time he had a cash flow problem,but after the first of the month New tyres on the front where needed. He was a Proper man,there was a strike/whatever going on and the work dried up,as long as you turned up at the garage and put in 8hrs,you got paid. I have sanded down vehicles for the paint shop (Johnny A ),assisted fitters in the bays and climbed about in the roof,cleaning off the dust of ages collected in the rafters.... But he kept us busy and money in our pockets.
Tea Bag.
Ps, Tyre men.. Was it a " Michelin Re-Mix " That would outlast the new ones in those days ? Some of the early " Far eastern tyres were made out of " Bakelite " ( Seemed so when you braked in the wet.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:🚛:rolleyes:)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
The month and year of manufacture is embossed on the tyre wall, so one can work out the stock age to date of purchase.
Geoff
Quite true but do you get to inspect that before fitting?
I have never had the offer of inspection and given the H&S aspects of customers in workshops I'm not sure many tyre fitters would be happy to promote that!

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Quite true but do you get to inspect that before fitting?
I have never had the offer of inspection and given the H&S aspects of customers in workshops I'm not sure many tyre fitters would be happy to promote that!
But you could insist that they will only get a sale if the tyres are within a certain date.

Deleted User
I don't think age is a problem with most commercial trucks, the legislation is for tyres more than 10 years old, and then only on the steered axle, and I doubt that there are many commercially used trucks that would be on the same set of tyres for 10 years.

Coaches and show trucks are a different matter and it was an accident with a coach and subsequent lobbying that has brought about this new legislation.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I don't think age is a problem with most commercial trucks, the legislation is for tyres more than 10 years old, and then only on the steered axle, and I doubt that there are many commercially used trucks that would be on the same set of tyres for 10 years.

Coaches and show trucks are a different matter and it was an accident with a coach and subsequent lobbying that has brought about this new legislation.

Out of interest, why would commercial coaches be any different to commercial trucks ?
In both cases you would expect the Transport Manager to be responsible for routine maintenance.

As we know it was the fatality caused by a 20 year old spare tyre on a coach that caused the new rules, but there was also a recent case where the brakes failed on a tipper truck, where it was known that the brakes were faulty
Tipper Truck Crash

It's all down to having a decent Transport Manager in place with the ability to pull vehicles out of the fleet that can not be over ruled by the boss or commercial considerations.

Unfortunately in many cases the Boss / Commercial considerations overrules the safety aspect.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The way I read it was trucks would do more miles not that they was different. Most firms have tyres on contract and in that are given a tyres report every X amount of weeks. A transport manager is never going to go out and check motors, that’s delegated down

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Just changed three perfectly good 7 year old tyres. But were they actually perfectly good? Broke my heart (nearly).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It says in the link that retread must be date stamped at the date of recutting..... WHY?
The tyres original date should over-ride any future dates regardless.
The only way that would apply is if the recut had a pre-determined expiry date (say 4 years) within, and over-riding, the tyres original date

Deleted User
Out of interest, why would commercial coaches be any different to commercial trucks ?
In both cases you would expect the Transport Manager to be responsible for routine maintenance.

As we know it was the fatality caused by a 20 year old spare tyre on a coach that caused the new rules, but there was also a recent case where the brakes failed on a tipper truck, where it was known that the brakes were faulty
Tipper Truck Crash

It's all down to having a decent Transport Manager in place with the ability to pull vehicles out of the fleet that can not be over ruled by the boss or commercial considerations.

Unfortunately in many cases the Boss / Commercial considerations overrules the safety aspect.

I agree with the maintenance rules for commercial vehicles, including coaches, being adhered to but as in all walks of life some will try and flout the rules.

I have no experience of operating coaches but have operated trucks for 35 years, my truck has a six weekly safety inspection carried out at an agreed and approved DVSA workshop plus annual tests and roadside spot checks.

In the case of the coach crash the tyres either had no visible defects or the safety checks were not carried out properly, the tipper crash has no bearing on the issue of tyres.

Most commercially operated trucks do relatively high mileages and tyres are replaced regularly because of wear, many coaches do not do high mileages due to the intermittent and often seasonal nature of the business thus tyres do not wear out at the same rate but are still subject to the ageing process.

There should be no difference to the standard of maintenance for any commercial vehicle, I hope that the explanation above about the difference in use between trucks and coaches explains why ageing tyres are more likely to be a problem on coaches than trucks.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A bit like the tankers that deliver central heating oil. If you go past the yard at chaterris they are all parked up and boxed in tight in the yard for the summer. Only come out for 6 months and they advertise for the drivers on a 6 month contract for the winter. Their tyres must last ages.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
from the way I read it no relevance to motorcaravans . HGVs , buses(coaches) and minibuses

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
This could apply to heaver motorhomes as they are taxed as "Private HGV". They consider anything over 3.5T as HGV. On the other hand I think it is a sensible idea and would not like to be using older tires anywhere.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
What about the tyres on a plane does the flight engineer /pilot check them or are they done on an age basis ?.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What about the tyres on a plane does the flight engineer /pilot check them or are they done on an age basis ?.
I would think it’s like hgv , they might do a visual but a more in depth check would be done by the tyre guys. Then they sign them off and they have some one to blame. Like on hgv the check is done and signed and the transport manager puts it on file in case anything happens and covers his backside.

Ukeman

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Medway Delta
Funster No
MH
Pilote C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Seven year old tyre off my 2013 Pilote. Plenty of meat but not to be trusted ......can you see the cracked wall ?

Replacing immediately. Al

Attachments

• 961349C3-BA7C-4686-A021-28BA91AB7BEA.jpeg
    961349C3-BA7C-4686-A021-28BA91AB7BEA.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 7B8F4F73-3E8A-418F-A016-CE0C20AA7A3B.jpeg
    7B8F4F73-3E8A-418F-A016-CE0C20AA7A3B.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 42
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It says in the link that retread must be date stamped at the date of recutting..... WHY?
The tyres original date should over-ride any future dates regardless.
The only way that would apply is if the recut had a pre-determined expiry date (say 4 years) within, and over-riding, the tyres original date
Like most legislation the government manage to f#*k it up. The in house lawyers like a lot of unnecessary detail, it creates work for the legal profession.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My 7500kg RV had just 38000miles on the clock.
Running on 19.5" truck tyres. Very little wear and no visible damage...... They were as old as the RV..... 19 years old.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think the tyres on a plane wear out very quickly, the forces they deal with are excessive

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Does anyone know how this affects foreign trucks?

Do other countries have age-of-tyre rules?
Does a truck have to conform to "country of origin" rules or "country of use" rules?
Given that we are able to use our vehicles in EU under UK rules until 2021, is the situation likely to change next year?

TIA - Gordon
Maybe not but then again the penalty should be punitive if an accident happens.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Running on 19.5" truck tyres. Very little wear and no visible damage...... They were as old as the RV..... 19 years old.
I replaced all 5 tyres on the moho at 10 years old as recommended on the Continental website. They look like new, bit I knew the were not,and I value my life over £500

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
................Those RV tyres are not immune from degradation it would be wise to change them ( in my opinion )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back