Google ban staff from listening to private conversations, shocking privacy failure. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I had to laugh when I read this story, it turns out that Google etc have had to ban their staff from listening to private conversations.
These conversations were overheard after key "wake" words were used, so lets face it, a great many people have these gadgets which includes mobile phones
& have a think about your conversations or actions over the last year or so, remember this includes love making, indeed any private moment!

If Hazel & I were overheard, all they'd hear is moaning & groaning due to aches & pains but, that wasn't always the case, we used to make sweet music, now we're like a worn out trombone!

Apple and Google are temporarily stopping workers listening to voice recordings captured by smart speakers and virtual assistants.
It follows a Guardian report that third-party contractors used by Apple had heard people having sex and discussing private medical information.
Siri and other services can activate in error after wrongly picking up sounds they mishear as their "wake" words.
Apple said the move would affect users worldwide.
Google suspended the practice across the EU on 10 July but has only just confirmed the fact in public.
Amazon - which also uses staff to transcribe some recordings - is continuing to do so.
Technology companies use staff to "grade" voice recordings to improve their virtual assistants' accuracy rates in handling requests - and take steps to anonymise the source.
Google, for example, distorts the recording before it is listened to in order to disguise the user's voice.
However, many members of the public were unaware of the practice until theBloomberg news agency reported the fact earlier this year.
"We are committed to delivering a great Siri experience while protecting user privacy,” Apple said in a statement.
“While we conduct a thorough review, we are suspending Siri grading globally."
The company added in the future users' voice recordings would not be included in the grading process unless they had chosen to opt in.
Germany's data protection commissioner in Hamburg has also launched an investigation into Google over the practice, with which the search company is cooperating.

Speech-recognising assistants were "highly risky" from a privacy point of view, the regulator said in a press release.
"The use of speech assistance systems must be transparent so that informed consent can be obtained from users," added the commissioner, Johannes Caspar.
Google said it had already stopped transcribing voice recordings and would continue to do so for at least three months.
A spokeswoman for the company said Google was "in touch" with the Hamburg data protection commissioner.
"We don’t associate audio clips with user accounts during the review process, and only perform reviews for around 0.2% of all clips," she added.
BBC News also asked Amazon whether it plans to suspend speech monitoring.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've heard the same for amazon alexa. We have a couple including one in the bedroom, not very worried about it. I'm too old to plan roberies any more. :LOL: :LOL: :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you consider that people went to jail for dialling into peoples mobile answer machines. Yet Apple, Google and Amazon listen to much more sensitive stuff, on the basis that their vague terms give them the right to do so. :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back