Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
hi all

can the collective wisdom tell me if this seems a good price for this van ?

I also have just realised this possibly could have been a hire van ? looking at millage and the sticker on the cooker plus the no smoking sticker. Is this a clue to a past life..? The millage doesnt put me off but I wouldnt entertain an ex hire van.

ta all

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My educated guess.
I dont give any thought to the sign, just wasnt removed from new.
If it were an ex rental (and i get where you are coming from) would someone leave their charger wires in a prominent position ? would they also not have their 12 volt plug thingies in the right place?
Can you see the log book to see the previous owner (if a name then and only one previous owner then you could be onto a winner)

I have to temper this with i have been known to be wrong previously, so the wife tells me.

Looks like a good van to me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
yep, I will certainly ask the question to the seller and check logbooks etc. I just thought if these clues, high millage, and stickers point to hire I wont even contact them.

i bought a brand new van a couple or so years ago and it didnt come with any stickers . maybe some manufacturers do sticker them up though ?
Any fiat owners chip in ?
:)

EDIT: i dont think the seller is the one renting it out. maybe prior to his ownership

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I doubt if a hire van came with leather interior, they are usually a basic spec. The miles seem high so it’s certainly been used, Price seems very keen, I would go and see the guy and investigate the history carefully, it should have a decent service record at that age and he should be able to tell you a straight tale with paper trail evidence as to it’s pedigree. As always if in doubt ,walk away.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I have a x250 this is a facelifted x290 but 54k is nothing on these if correct service. Check the cam belt renewal miles/date.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Why should it put you off. If it ticks all your boxes, has history, then why not. You could keep it for a few years, enjoy it, and sell it for approximately what you payed for it.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think it's ex hire.

I googled the reg and it comes up with this (has the reg in the pdf upload title) and is from a hire company.

which would explain the cooker notice, the no smoking sign and the caution hot water signs, although the mileage is a bit different 54000 as opposed to 58000 and it's obviously not the same photo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think it's ex hire.

I googled the reg and it comes up with this (has the reg in the pdf upload title) and is from a hire company.

which would explain the cooker notice, the no smoking sign and the caution hot water signs

which are a motorhome hire company. If the price is right it still wouldn't put me off. But I would be careful and the money would need to be right.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Mileage looks about right for an ex hire vehicle (its not too far off our's, but our's is a 2014). But why wouldn't you buy an ex hire MH if the price and condition is right? We did, and we have no regrets.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Landcruise based in Chichester, West Sussex.
We've hired from them, nowhere near as nice spec as shown.
They advertise vans for sale on their own website usually

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Date tested 11 February 2019
Pass
Mileage 54,089 miles
MOT test number 8543 3124 4437
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 10 February 2020

Date tested 5 March 2018
Pass
Mileage 41,665 miles
MOT test number 4668 1938 5826
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 13 March 2019

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
There's a recorded mileage issue here . . . sold by Landcruise in 2018 with 58000 on the clock . . . & now advertised with a M.O.T. just 2 days ago showing 54089 miles ? ?

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don’t understand a private moho with a no smoking sign and a danger hot water sign.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
MHs bought specifically for hiring out usually have basic spec, no extras. These things can cost a lot to add on, if it is possible to add them on. More cost effective to buy a good well specified used MH.

Hirers of such vans do not usually take the same care as an owner would so some collateral damage could be expected.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
It comes across from this thread that ex hire Van's are not good to buy. If so why
I don't know why so many people are prejudiced against ex hire MHs - certainly you need to do your homework, but if the price and condition are right then they can make a sensible buy: we paid around 25% less for our ex-hire MH compared to "normal" secondhand one of the same age sold by a dealer.

Generally ex hire MHs will have higher mileage - but as already mentioned, that isn't a problem as commercial van engines go on forever. And on the plus side they'll most likely have been regularly serviced and won't have sat around for month's on end not being used.

In terms of interior condition 2 berths will probably be in better than family-sized motorhomes because they'll have normally been more gently used. But like any secondhand MH some will have been looked after better than others - I don't think you can really make generalisations. I've seen lots of secondhand MHs on dealer forecourts that were in a much worse condition than our ex-hire MH. But I've also seen hired out motorhomes in pretty bad condition inside too.

Ours came with a bike rack, partial leather interior, an extra set of (brand new) carpets and was already set up for refillable gas (though they'd removed the actual bottles). A private secondhand MH may have solar panel and awning - but whether those are worth paying extra for will depend on your point of view.

One thing to watch out for is that ex-hire MHs generally have a much shorter manufacturer's warranty. Though as you're presumably on a budget then your other options could well be out of warranty too so its possibly a moot point.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don't know why so many people are prejudiced against ex hire MHs - certainly you need to do your homework, but if the price and condition are right then they can make a sensible buy: we paid around 25% less for our ex-hire MH compared to "normal" secondhand one of the same age sold by a dealer.

Generally ex hire MHs will have higher mileage - but as already mentioned, that isn't a problem as commercial van engines go on forever. And on the plus side they'll most likely have been regularly serviced and won't have sat around for month's on end not being used.

In terms of interior condition 2 berths will probably be in better than family-sized motorhomes because they'll have normally been more gently used. But like any secondhand MH some will have been looked after better than others - I don't think you can really make generalisations. I've seen lots of secondhand MHs on dealer forecourts that were in a much worse condition than our ex-hire MH. But I've also seen hired out motorhomes in pretty bad condition inside too.

Ours came with a bike rack, partial leather interior, an extra set of (brand new) carpets and was already set up for refillable gas (though they'd removed the actual bottles). A private secondhand MH may have solar panel and awning - but whether those are worth paying extra for will depend on your point of view.

One thing to watch out for is that ex-hire MHs generally have a much shorter manufacturer's warranty. Though as you're presumably on a budget then your other options could well be out of warranty too so its possibly a moot point.
Getting it at 25% less than similar others is a really good deal. Well done.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back