Good afternoon from the Isle of Man. (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
My first post. My name is Mark, I used to stay in lodgings in the Manchester area while working but realised how expensive it was and as I work late shifts and often don’t get back till 3am from the airport, was not pleasant staying in someone’s house. So I bought a compact and personal home for one- a Transit Custom L1H1. My aims were to stealth wild camp and just not stand out to much, and build a camper with lots of nice touches I could move on later and not lose too much.

I can only build outside my drive in winter, so left a few items to professionals. I started with the usual mistake of thinking the bulkhead, plastic floor and tie downs were worth more than £5… soon figured that out.

Next mistake was using additional standard Ford AGM batteries. So my inverter never did work. Water pump fitted into homebuilt furniture- can’t access it to plumb or wire up. So no water.

Best one was heater fitted by cowboys. Cheapo Chinese Eberspracker copy sold to me as a genuine one.😡 fitted with inlet external. First night the cooldown froze me half to death! Doh.

I survived one Summer without any comforts at all. I do commute home so it’s only runs of 4 or 5 nights.

Stripped it all out this Winter and designed and had Convertavan in Keighley CNC route the new panels for me. Still a lot of work but far better. Moved electrics to back. Lithium so inverter now works. Water tank fitted, pump plumbed and working. Access doors to it as well! Large full wardrobe and smaller middle cupboard just big enough for potty and microwave. May even get an induction Hob fitted. It was a pop top, and a pair of awning rails one on each side. No awning yet.

Waiting since September for Airride to supply a full 3H Airlift kit for my van as I need to drop it under 2.0m height barriers this coming summer. Still working hard to finish it in time for late April.

IMG_3059.jpeg

IMG_3063.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

IMG_3161.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

image005.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_4242.jpeg

9DFDE023-3355-494D-9C58-FAEA6ABC15CE.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4431.jpeg

IMG_4500.jpeg

OP
OP
M
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Thanks Folks. If I can reassemble the Mobiframe seat later this month I’ll be happy!

OP
OP
M
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Final Spec:
2021 Transit Custom L1H1 2.0 EcoBlue 130bhp manual. Dual battery upgraded
Genuine reverse camera installed
Dual F/R dash cam with reverse full view on rear mirror, ( who can see enough between a seat, barn doors and top locker!)

Eperspracher 2KW plumbed Diesel heater with easy start controller.

RENOGY: 50A DC/DC charger.
200W roof solar panel.
2x RENOGY 100AH Lithium battery.
RENOGY 2KW inverter.
Inverter remote panel.
DC/DC remote panel.
2BT Bluetooth unit
RENOGY com hub ( arrives in April).

Airlift 3H full kit. Rear leaf springs convert to trailing arms. On board tank/compressor and valve to permit tyre inflation.

SCA124 pop top with upper sprung bed unit.
Mobiframe SAF11 1200mm seat with three belts /Isofix. Converts to 1200m x 1950m bed.

750w microwave. Dometic 50l compressor fridge. Sterling 2 ring induction cooker ( if it fit!) SMEV small sink with cold only feed.
60L fresh water, 25L waste combined. Custom water tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Where does the Isle of Man fit into this? You don't have Manx plates and you don't seem to live/work here?

Welcome anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Where does the Isle of Man fit into this? You don't have Manx plates and you don't seem to live/work here?

Welcome anyway
I’m in Orry’s Close, Governor’s Hill. Lived here since I joined Manx Airlines in 1997. I have to work across and commute now as Open Skies has kind of ruined the industry here. I live in the van across in Summer. Kept it on UK plates as it was cheaper but now swapped. I’m now a 737 man…… you’ll figure that out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back