Going tubeless (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
So do I but I've seen a few tyres that would not reseat until the a flash pump was used - the mechanics at the LBS I spend a reasonable amount of time use this type: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ntrager-tlr-flash-charger-floor-pump/p/11881/

As a diver I seem to have enough air........ 240bar enough?

This is in my garage.

bp6.jpg

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
240bar will sure be enough:LOL: but it's the volume you need ie a small pressurised vessel but you should have a few of those.

For any TL tyres i've had difficulty seating i found an easy solution was to install a tube, seat the tyre, deflate it and remove the tube (one side only) and then refit and seal.

Of course this all assumes you've correctly sprayed some soapy water on both sides in the first place, probably the best thing you can do to get tyres to seat in the first place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I finally went tubeless across all bikes this year ... definitely the way forward. So much more comfort combined with puncture protection ?

I use Schwalbe tyre booster - saves buying a new track pump, and helps tyres seat properly. Can chuck it in the van if needed too
1589138209542.png

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I finally went tubeless across all bikes this year ... definitely the way forward. So much more comfort combined with puncture protection ?

I use Schwalbe tyre booster - saves buying a new track pump, and helps tyres seat properly. Can chuck it in the van if needed too
View attachment 386921

Ohh no not more things to buy ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You obviously haven't tried using a track pump to put Schwable G ones on Mavic rims!
No but thanks for the tip on an awkward combo. ??
I’m running tubeless with Roval 29 alloy rims with Specialized Purgatory Control tyres.
There’s life in the current tyres but I may switch to Maxxis Minion DHR II or stay with the Spesh ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There’s life in the current tyres but I may switch to Maxxis Minion DHR II or stay with the Spesh

I read somewhere that Maxxis tyres bleed the sealant through the sidewalls a bit.
Along with some pressure drop.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I read somewhere that Maxxis tyres bleed the sealant through the sidewalls a bit.
Along with some pressure drop.
Thanks. I’ll have to check that out before spending the £££

That problem may not be to uncommon though.
You can choose light tubeless tyres that need sealant liquid for air tightness & puncture prevention or heavier tubeless tyres that only need the liquid for puncture prevention.

For example, in the Specialized tyre range, my Ground Control Purgatory tyres are the light version and the similar Ground Control GRID is the heavy version.

On hot summer days (remember those ?) I can see the Stans notube liquid leaching out of the sidewalls ?
And I usually check tyre pressures pre-ride and have to boost the pressure as mentioned. ??
I’ve never returned to my bike and found a flat tyre though. Maybe the pressure drops to an equilibrium ??

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well Father Christmas turned up today.

M M fitted straight on and no issues.

My existing N N would seat up no mater what I did.
So Stans has gone into the tube until a new N N turns up ?

A42EFD19-DB0D-42D1-AF69-6A3A491E87C4.jpeg

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I use schwable muddy mary tyres and the stans fluid never leaks through them and with the way i do it (see post #33) no need for expensive pumps just a normal bike pump will inflate the tubless tyre no problem at all

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I use schwable muddy mary tyres and the stans fluid never leaks through them and with the way i do it (see post #33) no need for expensive pumps just a normal bike pump will inflate the tubless tyre no problem at all
Post #23 ?
I’ve also avoided expensive pumps in my simple setup. Where you’re adding a chunk of inner tube I’ve got extra wide rim tape for blocking any potential air loss sound spokes and the valve.
I went over a year between maintaining the sealant level.
Not too much extra effort.
But YMMV

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Whilst I except it may give you a little better ride, I’ve been on bikes for sixty odd years and I can count the punctures on one hand, I think remembering back. :RollEyes:

So other than a bit of Slime in the tubes, why bother. :gum:

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Whilst I except it may give you a little better ride, I’ve been on bikes for sixty odd years and I can count the punctures on one hand, I think remembering back. :RollEyes:

So other than a bit of Slime in the tubes, why bother. :gum:

Before i went tubeless i was averaging 1 to 2 punctures every ride, mtb riding on bridlewsys and canal towpath so to be expected, since tubeless not had 1 puncture, pulled 4 thorns out the front wheel once and the holes all sealed instantly

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Where you’re adding a chunk of inner tube

I stretch a 24" innertube over my 27.5 inch wheel so it fits like an elastic band, then cut length ways down the centre of the tube all the way around and fold the cut tube over the edges of the rim, this then seals against the tyre when re fitted giving you a nice tight seal between the cut tube and the tyre, the cut tube acts like your rim tape but it is 100% air tight where as rim tape can still leak. Then once inflated trim the inner tube back to within about 5mm of your tyre then pump stans fluid in via the inner tube valve by removing the valve core

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Before i went tubeless i was averaging 1 to 2 punctures every ride, mtb riding on bridlewsys and canal towpath so to be expected, since tubeless not had 1 puncture, pulled 4 thorns out the front wheel once and the holes all sealed instantly
If you punctured every ride then something was definitely wrong. Too little air pressure, too heavy on the drop-offs, wrong tyres, the list goes on. I ride my MTB off-road every week and can't remember the last puncture I had, 2-3 years ago.
Phil

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
If you punctured every ride then something was definitely wrong. Too little air pressure, too heavy on the drop-offs, wrong tyres, the list goes on. I ride my MTB off-road every week and can't remember the last puncture I had, 2-3 years ago.
Phil

Simple answer thorns every one i had was a decent thorn half inch plus like bloody nails, magic mary tyres with decent tread just unlucky i think. Most were from canal towpaths bloody nightmare they are

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Simple answer thorns every one i had was a decent thorn half inch plus like bloody nails, magic mary tyres with decent tread just unlucky i think. Most were from canal towpaths bloody nightmare they are
That's a shame as canal towpaths are great for recovery rides, you can still get distance without the hills.
Phil

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I stretch a 24" innertube over my 27.5 inch wheel so it fits like an elastic band, then cut length ways down the centre of the tube all the way around and fold the cut tube over the edges of the rim, this then seals against the tyre when re fitted giving you a nice tight seal between the cut tube and the tyre, the cut tube acts like your rim tape but it is 100% air tight where as rim tape can still leak. Then once inflated trim the inner tube back to within about 5mm of your tyre then pump stans fluid in via the inner tube valve by removing the valve core
My rim tape is fine - tubeless rim tape that’s a match for the rims ??
And we're putting Stans in the same way ??
Same thing but different

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
hi apparently you can get the goo to go into innertubes which is what I intend to do I don't know exactly what its called but the bike shop I use supplies it. I only know this as I got a puncture on my MTB the other week.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
hi apparently you can get the goo to go into innertubes which is what I intend to do I don't know exactly what its called but the bike shop I use supplies it. I only know this as I got a puncture on my MTB the other week.

Yeah I put some in my spare tube I carry just I case it all goes Pete Tonk ?

You need to have removable valves to get it into tubes ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just buy slime tubes. They come with the goo already inside them, and they work. You don’t realise how many punctures you’ve had until you remove the inner tube. Schwalbe anti puncture tyres, and slime inner tubes solved my almost one flat tyre per ride problem that I was having. I never had a flat tyre since.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just buy slime tubes. They come with the goo already inside them, and they work. You don’t realise how many punctures you’ve had until you remove the inner tube. Schwalbe anti puncture tyres, and slime inner tubes solved my almost one flat tyre per ride problem that I was having. I never had a flat tyre since.

Do you not have to top up the tubes after so long.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you not have to top up the tubes after so long.
Maybe as a DIY job but they're sold as a one time use - is my understanding.
edit: You mean the puncture protection liquid, right? They’ll still need occasional air pressure checks.

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
I don't know if it's the tyers which are schwalbes nobbly nicks or just bad luck but I have had five punctures in a year. My last bike I had for about 18 years and only had about five in the all that time and never had to buy a new a tyer. I am on to my second tyer in a year.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Maybe as a DIY job but they're sold as a one time use - is my understanding.
edit: You mean the puncture protection liquid, right? They’ll still need occasional air pressure checks.

Yeah I meant topping up the slime.

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post but I knew what I meant ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I haven’t topped them up and don’t think I could being Presta valves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back