Go box? (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Hi
Currently sitting at lake bled Slovenia , driven through Austria ,got a go box as 3700 kgs . So all legal .
But what if I didn’t get box and just carried on my merry way and didn’t get pulled over.
UK reg van from Scotland, would they chase you up, and if they did what would /could they do to enforce same.
Just wondering, realise it’s the right thing to do obey the rules etc , but just wondering if any of you have been through this.
Cheers

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've certainly been directed off with others >3.5t to go through a gantry.
Green light and back on autobahn.
Some politzei in lay-by and after on autobahn.
It's not a matter of a letter back in UK, it's Hanz with a glock

So you gotta ask yourself - do you feel lucky?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
pps :cool:
IMG_5213.jpeg

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
p.s. you need a different box (DarSgo) for Slovenia.
Yep got the ticket for Slovenia from garage as I crossed the border
Not a box though the girl in the garage was unsure so I pointed to the van and she gave me the top option of the 3 available!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Blade runner
Cheers for that it’s currently peeing down I could be in Arbroath !!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always use the non toll roads now but in the past when we had a 3.5t van I used the Autobahn coming back through Austria the Police close the Autobahn and everyone had to go through the rest area where they checked everyone, saw loads of Dutch getting pulled.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
I used non toll roads coming here but even the Google maps I use with avoid toll setting still took me on A10 which is a toll ?and the non toll roads were a long slog coming from innsbruck

I have the box and will be heading home on toll roads but would like to come back as Austria is very nice but it’s a bit of a faff, might just stick to Germany 🤔

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Off to Austria at back end of next week.
Wont be going on tolls. MIght do the Glossglockner on the way back, and I will lie to the pleasant young lady at the counter at tell her I am under 3500 kgs to get the cheaper option (NB this is not part of the toll system but an extra payment)

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Off to Austria at back end of next week.
Wont be going on tolls. MIght do the Glossglockner on the way back, and I will lie to the pleasant young lady at the counter at tell her I am under 3500 kgs to get the cheaper option (NB this is not part of the toll system but an extra payment)
Would there ever be a situation where they look at your V5? We have uprated to 3,650 although doubt we're close to the maximum. But presumably it's the rated weight not actual weight that determines what's needed right?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If found not using the Go Box in Austria, they hunt you down and being in Scotland is no hiding place. When they find you, they request extradition from said country whereby you will be sent to a prison camp doing a day for every mile you used the road without paying.

Now,

I don't know if thats true or not, but it's what Mrs H told me when I said "balls to a go box lets go for it". I subsequently took her advice as women are always right. ;)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Would there ever be a situation where they look at your V5? We have uprated to 3,650 although doubt we're close to the maximum. But presumably it's the rated weight not actual weight that determines what's needed right?
The difference to what I would do is I am not going to pay for the Go Box but I am not going to use the roads that a Go Box would entitle you to use. They will check your V5 so you have to have been a bit naughty and have your original one before you uprated it and claimed to have lost it when telling the DVLA, but only a nefarious person of limited moral standing but great foresight would do this ;)

The Glossglockner is a separate entity. You have Greta at a gate and she politely requests are you under 3500 kgs and I think we are but my weight plate says 4100 kgs so I give her the answer that I am, she then tells me the lower price and I gleefully accept. Now, she could ask to see my V5 which I would either show her the aforementioned previous V5 (obviously if I had it) or I could show her the engine plate which doesnt have the uprated weight on it, but I doubt very much she would do that, she would just think "Tight fisted lieing Roast Beef" for the umpteenth time that day as she accepted my credit card and I get to spend the difference I saved on an apple strudel

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
The difference to what I would do is I am not going to pay for the Go Box but I am not going to use the roads that a Go Box would entitle you to use. They will check your V5 so you have to have been a bit naughty and have your original one before you uprated it and claimed to have lost it when telling the DVLA, but only a nefarious person of limited moral standing but great foresight would do this ;)

The Glossglockner is a separate entity. You have Greta at a gate and she politely requests are you under 3500 kgs and I think we are but my weight plate says 4100 kgs so I give her the answer that I am, she then tells me the lower price and I gleefully accept. Now, she could ask to see my V5 which I would either show her the aforementioned previous V5 (obviously if I had it) or I could show her the engine plate which doesnt have the uprated weight on it, but I doubt very much she would do that, she would just think "Tight fisted lieing Roast Beef" for the umpteenth time that day as she accepted my credit card and I get to spend the difference I saved on an apple strudel
Sadly we were uprated prior to taking delivery of the van brand new so only have the V5 showing 3,650 kg's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back