Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
So I take it not much difference in boilers hence opting for the gaslow :xThumb:

From what I gather Rob they would have had to replace my Truma 6 with a 4E from one of their new vans so the donor van would then need to be sold as a non-UK pack version.

This would incur a loss of some kind to the dealer so it's the price of that loss that I'm getting by way of the Gaslow system.

I think that's how it works :xgrin:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Do you have a close-up of tour set-up John as I may need to use it as a reference guide for the dealer. They just want to go straight through the metal as mentioned.

Cheers(y)

Andrew
I haven’t got pictures of my instal Andrew but if you look at this thread mines similar to Mels but a bit higher up,the position Mel has used is in my thoughts slightly stronger because of the shape of the plastic moulding.

LPG filler point By @Minxy Girl

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I haven’t got pictures of my instal Andrew but if you look at this thread mines similar to Mels but a bit higher up,the position Mel has used is in my thoughts slightly stronger because of the shape of the plastic moulding.

John.

Thanks John, I'll check that out sir.:xThumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

John.
Just to comment on Neckender's thoughts above, the position of my filler is definitely in a strong point in the bumper/corner moulding than the higher position (I had a good shuftie at both areas before fitting it) and having used it several times I can confirm that it is definitely strong enough to hold the filler 'gun' on it's own.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just to comment on Neckender's thoughts above, the position of my filler is definitely in a strong point in the bumper/corner moulding than the higher position (I had a good shuftie at both areas before fitting it) and having used it several times I can confirm that it is definitely strong enough to hold the filler 'gun' on it's own.

Cheers Mel, I was having a look around my van today and the idea of taking the pipe through the floor vent and through the back is a really good one. I'll send some pics of my van, with explanation, to the dealer tomorrow.

:xThumb:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Not exactly a mod but I did the carpet fitting today guys.

I need to give a special thanks to Auto-Sleeper for producing a top quality brochure which I could subsequently rip up and use to form a floor template - it was just the grain size I needed :xgrin:

The carpet was £30 (not £50 as per the pic) and the colour IMO suits the van perfectly.

I hope you like it :xThumb:

Andrew

20181207_111547.jpg

20181207_112410.jpg

20181207_121306.jpg

20181207_121937.jpg

20181207_153534.jpg

20181207_153626.jpg

20181207_153704.jpg

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Today's 2 minute mod.

Added a hook to the rear door for the hose, and one to the other door for the mains cable (hope that one is strong enough!). Used existing screws.
Should make them easily accessible when arriving on site.

Hooks were £1.96 for 2, but took a few weeks to arrive. I went for orange for visibility as they stick out from the door.

Amazon product ASIN B0736HM668
IMG_20181208_124604.jpg

Paul

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That’s nice Andrew ... how did you ‘attach’ it, for lack of a better word. Not sure if we will have a carpet as Yogi is usually disreputable, being a mud seeking dog.
This time tomorrow ............... :xgrin:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That’s nice Andrew ... how did you ‘attach’ it, for lack of a better word. Not sure if we will have a carpet as Yogi is usually disreputable, being a mud seeking dog.
This time tomorrow ............... :xgrin:

Hi Liz,

The carpet fits so well that it doesn't move at all. We used a remnant of woolen carpet from our local supplier and the extra insulation it affords over the standard floor covering is huge.

Now that I have my templates then I'll just replace the carpet as and when it's needed albeit I'm unlikely to get the same colour again :xgrin:

Go on, have a go - Yogi will love it :xThumb:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
But never mind all that nonsense! Who's your adorable helper??

:X3:

He's a lovely rescue Rotti pooch called Roman and as you can see he is guarding his new Globecar van.

I no longer need to buy one of those expensive Growler alarm systems as he comes with a whole load of functions - he growls, barks, bites and devours and all in one action too :xgrin:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Starting to think you have to much time on your hands
Should be spending it planning trips

Nicky doesn't finish her job until July so we are a bit tied until then. I may do some voluntary work to fill my time in :xThumb:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys, back to the mods.

We had our first night out last night. It was fantastic in one sense because we really love the van but on the other hand it was a complete disaster because we ran out of gas and as you know it was bl○○dy cold last night.

I didn't want to replace the calor bottle since we are having the Gaslow system fitted in 36hrs so I thought we had enough gas and, errrrrr, we didn't.:rolleyes:

The result of which is that we found the Globecar to have excellent insulation properties apart from two points: 1. The metalwork at the bottom of the rear doors, and, 2. The open rear light appertures. Pics below.

We've placed a giant sausage draft excluder at the bottom of the doors and it does the job 100%.

I'll come up with a cunning plan for the light appertures but I was wondering what others have done. I honestly thought that plastic covers would be provided.

Thanks All,

Andrew

20181209_181637.jpg

20181209_181644.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
See what you mean Andrew, it looks unfinished as if there is a cover missing, that will be easily sorted, I have a little bit of real sheeps wool insulation if you want some for the 2 light apertures?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
See what you mean Andrew, it looks unfinished as if there is a cover missing, that will be easily sorted, I have a little bit of real sheeps wool insulation if you want some for the 2 light apertures?
Exposed metal shouldn't be there, on most panel vans there is a big area on the inside of the sliding door which gets wet when it cold outside.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Exposed metal shouldn't be there, on most panel vans there is a big area on the inside of the sliding door which gets wet when it cold outside.

I was thinking the same Paul but the appertures are tucked away out of sight so I didn't seem them originally.

For me personally it looks as if the original covers are missing so I was hoping for one of the GC owners to verify if their vans came with covers. I have some real good insulation stuff which I use on my cars but I'm hoping to get an answer before I visit the dealer on Tuesday.

Thanks good mate :xThumb:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The light cluster opening standard on Fiat to access the cluster to change a bulb
You should have a screwdriver in the tool kit with a detachable handle that fits the securing nuts
On some Globecars you need to remove a panel inside the gas box to access the passenger side ones

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Our Summit has the open sections on the back of the lights too but on a Citroen Jumper/Relay.
So far we have found that there are a lot less draughts in the van than in a coachbuilt with the vents for the 3 way fridge & grill - fine in summer but not so good in winter.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our Summit has the open sections on the back of the lights too but on a Citroen Jumper/Relay.
So far we have found that there are a lot less draughts in the van than in a coachbuilt with the vents for the 3 way fridge & grill - fine in summer but not so good in winter.

Thanks Karen, that's good to know:xsmile: I have to agree with you with regard to your comments on windy drafts - the Globecar is incredibly well insulated from what we've experienced so far. Very pleased indeed :xThumb:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm going to keep this one simple with regard to stopping the drafts from the light appertures.

i.e. stick a new wash sponge in each apperture and then cover it with a carpet tunnel that will stretch from the floor to the top of the sponge.

Here are two pics with an old sponge in the apperture and a small piece of carpet being used as a test fit.

The carpet tunnel (on both sides) will also cover up the white insulation lining which I don't like much so it'll be a win-win.

That was easy:xgrin:

20181210_110739.jpg

20181210_110844.jpg

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Lots of modifications to these globecars.
Can't be much good then.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Lots of modifications to these globecars.
Can't be much good then.

These are only basic modifications that we're talking about here, both personal mods and ones to enhance the vehicle in some minor sense.

They are not 'repairs' as what you would find with a British van such as a Swift or Autotrail :xThumb:

It's good to distinguish the two IMO.:xgrin:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
SMC did mine as part of the deal.

John.

Ah, but I know where everything is now John :xThumb: I also know that every little bit that I want covered is done properly.

You'll recall my dealer solar fitment issue which caused the flooding of a previous van so I much prefer to do the hidden bits myself.

All the best,

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I like the sponge mod Andrew and would get some self-adhesive carpet tiles (usually £1 for a pack of 5) and cut one to size for each side so it sticks on the aperture surrond to seal it properly, that way if needs be you can easily pull it off to get at the light cluster, you could also use the remaining tiles on the rest of the exposed metal to reduce condensation bulit-up. Alternatively use longer existing carpet offcuts along with some good double sided tape and stick that on the whole inside of the metal, it would make a neater job too.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I like the sponge mod Andrew and would get some self-adhesive carpet tiles (usually £1 for a pack of 5) and cut one to size for each side so it sticks on the aperture surrond to seal it properly, that way if needs be you can easily pull it off to get at the light cluster, you could also use the remaining tiles on the rest of the exposed metal to reduce condensation bulit-up. Alternatively use longer existing carpet offcuts along with some good double sided tape and stick that on the whole inside of the metal, it would make a neater job too.

Cheers Mel, the carpet is the same as the floor carpet and I can fold and pin it so that doesn't move. I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at the door insulation options but your idea certainly sounds like a good one. :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back