Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Here's my jacking n tools mod. The wheel jack and tools all came in a giant plastic container from the original van and had nowhere to fit, so I rolled them all up in some bubble-wrap, rested them on a rubber coated bit of wood (the hole/indent stops the jack slipping out) and strapped them into the gas locker.

This is it in place, some velcro straps would be neater to secure the roll but it's nicely in there

Then the SMC welcome hamper is exactly the right size for some miscellaneous junk which lives in there too like the electric hookup (that 10m reel is about £8 at some plastic home store, I just added a 16A plug).

This also illustrates how my plan to only have one refillable bottle works. because I can refill it at any time - even when only a bit empty - I thought I'd take advantage of the extra space.

I do realise a 2nd smaller jack may be useful too as sometimes the wheel won't clear the ground, but it's baby steps here. I'm also considering Puncturesafe for those awkward nail moments..

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We have always found it a bit dark when sitting in the drivers / passenger seat at night so have added a strip light to match all of the others under the storage cupboard. It was dead easy to hide the cables and run them back to the Elektroblock but it took me ages to work out which spare outlets to use! We also swapped the spot light over the table for a strip light at the same time.
8000AB56-CA93-4453-B274-A99CC51099C8.jpeg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, I'd like to put a 12v socket there too, can I ask where you have routed the wires for it?

Steve, I've now changed it for a single 12v & aerial socket since that pic was taken. The TV aerial is mounted above the rear twin CCTV pod and then is threaded via the rear door pillars, over the water tank and through the wooden partition and into the mini wardrobe.

The 12v power supply is connected to a 3rd standalone hab battery which is not part of the integral van 12v system. The battery (my spare AGM LA95) is located in the compartment just over the left rear wheel. The 12v power line goes from the place in your picture to the bottom left of the wardrobe, through the wood partition and into the apperture just below the fridge, then under the wardrobe housing, and back under the metal kickplate in the walkway to the other wardrobe, and then up through the gas valve apperture to the battery.

I can charge the battery from the CBE controller under the seat and I have connected a set of wires accordingly.

The 3rd hab battery supplies the power to the TV and the puddle light but I may also slave a second USB point from the battery too.

Alternatively you'll be able to cut into the wires which provide 12v power to the standard 12v factory fitted outlet which is mounted in the wall panel above the fridge.

You will need to remove the drawer below the fridge and with a bit of careful fiddling then you should be able to access the integral 12v connection.

If you need me to send you some pics then drop me a note.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just taken a few pics to help Steve.

1. This is the integral 12v socket which I referred to previously:
20190801_181557.jpg

2. Access the drawer under the fridge. You will need to feel the underside of the drawer for the runners and then find a depression switch on the internal side of each runner. Depress both to break the drawer from the runner set. My top tip is to practice on the top kitchen draw first as they are the same and you can see what you are doing from an underside angle if you wish.
20190801_181629.jpg

3. This is a pic of my empty drawer apperture. Yours will not look like this as mine is insulated. You can see the large black wire which leads to the battery and the 12v socket, via the metal walkway, while the small wire goes through the floor and outside to my puddle light:
20190801_181812.jpg

4. This pic is taken at the back of the drawer apperture looking directly upwards behind the fridge. You can see the integral van wires that supply the 240v and 12v sockets. Not easy to access though. Note: You can see the metal fridge back on the right of the pic, then the fridge partition in the Center and then on the left is the shell of the van but in my case it has been insulated:
20190801_182028.jpg

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Blue Knight Thanks, Andrew, that’s brilliant. One question - how does one remove the chromed plastic surrounds to the switches and sockets without damaging anything?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Blue Knight Thanks, Andrew, that’s brilliant. One question - how does one remove the chromed plastic surrounds to the switches and sockets without damaging anything?

In theory they just prise off Steve leaving screws showing in each of the corners. Take them out and the unit will be movable.

The only problem with the silver Globecar surrounds is that they're quite brittle so ideally you need a couple of points of leverage using a hard plastic implement.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No the organizer by the door
Do you mean the little plastic box? :unsure:

Or the tea-towel looking thing on the side of the kitchen unit which I assume has pockets in?

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is fun, is that a baby dinosaur in the cage? ?
Stick-on pockets or other fastening?
I wondered that to, but thought it looked more like a rather pasty looking chameleon! :D

I think it's a bit of tree branch of some sort for the parrot!

Chameleon.png

I think this is the organiser thingy:

pocket organiser.png

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I wondered that to, but thought it looked more like a rather pasty looking chameleon! :D
Great minds !
Leaping hopefully towards the fencing... Underfed or extraordinarily energetic as dinosaurs go (sez me, being a leading expert on missing the point and twisty twigs) ?? Lol

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've done everything possible to seal the seat bases from cold drafts but I found on our recent Shetland trip that a gentle cool breeze was coming through the back of the drivers seat albeit I've sealed everything so wasn't sure why.

....so today I've just blocked it up completely using my 'new' roll of thermal insulation.

Yep, I've got 10 more meters to use up now :D

20191003_133355.jpg

20191003_133553.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
........and I replaced some of the crappy screws which hold certain bits together with something a bit bigger.

Silver out, gold in.

I've also doubled the number of screw retainers which keep the drawer runners in place as I didn't think the originals were up to the job.

20191003_124621.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes, what's happened there?

The dealer thinks that the sealant which holds the roof mount in place has split - this will be down to bad workmanship in the factory.

We also have a second leak on the outer Dometic toilet hatch but that is fully sealed now by sealing tape.

There's also the warping double floor but I won't mention much more about that.

.....and a few other bits.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I take it the leak is from a roof opening, hopefully nothing to serious and you get it sorted
Thanks Gerry, the fault was reported a few months ago (within warranty) but we think the head lining may have to be removed.

...........we've also had the entire power steering rack, pump and pipes replaced 'twice' in November and December respectively. The fault still exists on the steering system so we are now hoping for a Fiat Engineer to visit in the next few weeks to get it examined. I'm just waiting on a call from Italy to say when the guy will be available.

All the best

Andrew

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow Andrew that is poor for a newish van, both on the Fiat and Globecar side of things.

What do you mean by the roof mount?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Wow Andrew that is poor for a newish van, both on the Fiat and Globecar side of things.

What do you mean by the roof mount?

According to the dealer Paul there is a plastic mount which fits between the flat side of the skylight housing and the rippled metal roof of the PVC. I've got a feeling that someone failed to pump enough sealent between the two when it was installed.

The stain looks horrible while the damp reading is about 22-25.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Right, I kow what you are referring to now, its fitted so the skylight can get a good seal and make fitting of the skylight supposedly straightforward.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Right, I kow what you are referring to now, its fitted so the skylight can get a good seal and make fitting of the skylight supposedly straightforward.
Yes, that's the one Paul. You explained it better than me though.

What a pain in the arse though.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks Gerry, the fault was reported a few months ago (within warranty) but we think the head lining may have to be removed.

...........we've also had the entire power steering rack, pump and pipes replaced 'twice' in November and December respectively. The fault still exists on the steering system so we are now hoping for a Fiat Engineer to visit in the next few weeks to get it examined. I'm just waiting on a call from Italy to say when the guy will be available.

All the best

Andrew
Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Eek! The occasional FIAT failure is to be expected but what happened to German quality and engineering excellence. And our new Campscout is coming later this month....
Good luck with the dealer. Is he in Lancashire, Nottingshire or Somerset?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The poor state of the rear cameras and the Necvox aerial has been bugging me for many months now but since we've got the van back I decided to refurbish the rear twin CCTV cameras and the Necvox aerial which had all oxidised/rusted through.

Now bear in mind that the dealer charged me £700 for the camera system when new; I was not impressed to find that the cameras only came with a 1 year warranty and, as usual, they started to perish just after the warranty expired. If I recall correctly John Neckender had the same issue with his camera too.

This is before:

Screenshot_20210624-205031_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210624-205002_Gallery.jpg

.....and after, including a full restrip and repaint of the cameras, camera mount and aerial:

Screenshot_20210624-171924_Gallery.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back