Glen Clova no more... (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
Looks like it's the end of the road for wild camping in Glen Clova - Angus Council have put up 'No Overnight Stays' signs in all the car parks...

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Looks like it's the end of the road for wild camping in Glen Clova - Angus Council have put up 'No Overnight Stays' signs in all the car parks...
Can you get photos, many of these signs are not enforceable

OP
OP
kernewek
Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
Can you get photos, many of these signs are not enforceable
Will do - was whizzing past in the car when I spotted them, but will need to walk along to get a pic - the car parks are lethal just now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
kernewek
Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
We’ll just have to stop going there then and go where we are welcome.
I am stuck in the middle on this one - as a motorhomer, I love wild camping and being away from the madding crowd. However as a resident, it would be fair to say that last summer was hellish. My fear is that a) the council will alienate motorhomers, as mentioned above, which will impact on local businesses, and b) that this is just the tip of the iceberg, that other areas will follow suit in an attempt to prevent the chaos of last year and we will all lose out.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I am stuck in the middle on this one - as a motorhomer, I love wild camping and being away from the madding crowd. However as a resident, it would be fair to say that last summer was hellish. My fear is that a) the council will alienate motorhomers, as mentioned above, which will impact on local businesses, and b) that this is just the tip of the iceberg, that other areas will follow suit in an attempt to prevent the chaos of last year and we will all lose out.
I think we will slowly see the more forward thinking councils start to make provision for motorhomes on the way of Aire type stopovers.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
perhaps as a local you could put that point of view to the local council the mayhem of last year could be avoided if they used the number of visitors as a finacial benifit and provided spaces with if possible a water supply and waste

OP
OP
kernewek
Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
perhaps as a local you could put that point of view to the local council the mayhem of last year could be avoided if they used the number of visitors as a finacial benifit and provided spaces with if possible a water supply and waste
I'm currently encouraging a friend to do this at their business as part of my contribution to CAMpRA. I've emailed the council tonight for clarification, and made other council-related enquiries.

OP
OP
kernewek
Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
So, I have been iin touch with the Council and received a comprehensive reply. The Council lease the car park areas from the local estate. The 'No Overnight Stays' signs have been reinstated at the request of the local estate following an extended stay by a caravan last year, which left a pile of litter (I believe including mattresses) when it left. They have informed me that there is no right of motorised access under the land reform legislation, so are entitled to ask people not to stay overnight in vehicles or caravans, but they have made the carpark available for public use.

Re: provision of water supply and waste, whilst I appreciate that your intentions are good, the area involved here is quite remote. My own water comes directly off the hill, in fact all my neighbours for miles are the same (natural springs or bore holes) and there is no 'sewerage' system - we all have septic tanks.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
When travel restrictions are lifted, it will be interesting in a couple of years to see if the issue of 'waste' at these spots continues to be a blight .......

there is a small area about 1000 yards from where i live that has never had a motorhome or camper parked there overnight, but the amount of rubbish that gets dumped there must cost the LA a fair amount to collect and dispose, so there is a definite longstanding rubbish problem being dumped by people in cars or vans.

which shows it isnt necessarily motorhomers/fulltimers/van dwellers that are the prime cause, but it is easy to blame them !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back