Giving up ‘photography’........ (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
........well, more specifically, giving up carrying camera bodies and lenses around! I’ve enjoyed photography as a hobby for many years, starting with Canon (Ftb), then Olympus (OM1s, 2s and 4s) and, finally, Nikon (D200s, D3200s). ATM I have a couple of D3200 bodies and a variety of lenses, both fixed and zoom, with ring flash, flash guns, tripods, monopods, remote releases and so on........but I haven’t used any of them for the last 18 months or so. All the photos I’ve taken recently have been via my smart phone (iPhone SE), and I am more than happy with the results!

The old adage that the ‘best camera is the one you carry with you’ seems very apt, so I have decided to bite the bullet and pare back my kit to just the ‘phone, which is (generally) always in my pocket. No doubt there may be times when I wish that I had a little extra ‘reach’ on the lens or whatever, but with smartphone optics improving as they are, I don’t see that happening too often! Also, it’s much less of a faff carrying a ‘phone than it is a bag of photo gear (especially when trying to control four dogs - they are always out with us!). Who knows, I may even take more photos, especially when I don’t have to think about putting on the ‘right’ lens or filter before taking them! ;)

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I understand where your coming from. I just have a Nikon bridge camera with a long reach now days, does everything I want it to. Good luck with the sale.👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I have a very nice SONY Cybershot camera with an amazing long reach lens, but I rarely use it now. The Samsung J6+ camera has largely replaced it for all but the serious, planned shots. I just wouldn't have got this shot from a Florida beach chair in the time takes to get the SONY out of the bag, the cap removed and the right mode selected!

20191013_193146.jpg

Last edited:

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
I don't know what else I'd do if I gave up photography. I must agree though that carrying all the gear around can be a pain.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Sore subject, I have a D800 and a collection of lenses, my hobby is motorsport photography.

Bugger all chance of that this year

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
........well, more specifically, giving up carrying camera bodies and lenses around! I’ve enjoyed photography as a hobby for many years, starting with Canon (Ftb), then Olympus (OM1s, 2s and 4s) and, finally, Nikon (D200s, D3200s). ATM I have a couple of D3200 bodies and a variety of lenses, both fixed and zoom, with ring flash, flash guns, tripods, monopods, remote releases and so on........but I haven’t used any of them for the last 18 months or so. All the photos I’ve taken recently have been via my smart phone (iPhone SE), and I am more than happy with the results!

The old adage that the ‘best camera is the one you carry with you’ seems very apt, so I have decided to bite the bullet and pare back my kit to just the ‘phone, which is (generally) always in my pocket. No doubt there may be times when I wish that I had a little extra ‘reach’ on the lens or whatever, but with smartphone optics improving as they are, I don’t see that happening too often! Also, it’s much less of a faff carrying a ‘phone than it is a bag of photo gear (especially when trying to control four dogs - they are always out with us!). Who knows, I may even take more photos, especially when I don’t have to think about putting on the ‘right’ lens or filter before taking them! ;)
Try the iPhone 11 Pro - brillllliant resuIts. expect the 12 would be even better. Offers for my Nikon 7000 actually it looks quite neat on the shelf as a memento!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Last time I was at an air show with my old Canon 350 and a zoom lens there were very few other people with a DSLR .
I really want to update to something simpler and smaller but don’t want to use an I phone. I don’t need all the other things in a phone other than phone calls and text.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I find that I'm more inclined to take photos with my camera than my phone. If I've gone to the effort of taking it out with me, I'll use it. My camera phone is always with me and regularly used for snaps but less often for serious photos. I have, however, had my phone camera's photos published in magazines so the quality seems to be acceptable.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back