Getting Over to Mainland Europe (1 Viewer)

Baldymark

Free Member
Feb 9, 2021
Gosport, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks! Newbie here!

Currently in the process of searching for my first motorhome, which I plan to live in for a while (I have sold my house). I am looking to get over to Eastern Europe ASAP, with a view to settling there one day (my long-term girlfriend is in Kiev at the moment, and she has her our heart set on living in Romania), although am in no rush for that yet, and will use the opportunity of living in the motorhome to do as much traveling around as possible. I am lucky enough to have both a British and an Irish passport. My question is, is it possible to take a motorhome over the Chanel at the moment? And if so, what, if any, are the rules/restrictions. Has anyone here tried it recently, and how did they get on? I know we are all waiting for the lockdowns to end, but if my motorhome is my home, then I do not see why I shouldn’t be able to move around, so long as I follow the rules of staying within the vehicle? Not looking for moral guidance, just practical help.

Cheers!

Baldymark

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Tin hat time :LOL:
Hi folks! Newbie here!

Currently in the process of searching for my first motorhome, which I plan to live in for a while (I have sold my house). I am looking to get over to Eastern Europe ASAP, with a view to settling there one day (my long-term girlfriend is in Kiev at the moment, and she has her our heart set on living in Romania), although am in no rush for that yet, and will use the opportunity of living in the motorhome to do as much traveling around as possible. I am lucky enough to have both a British and an Irish passport. My question is, is it possible to take a motorhome over the Chanel at the moment? And if so, what, if any, are the rules/restrictions. Has anyone here tried it recently, and how did they get on? I know we are all waiting for the lockdowns to end, but if my motorhome is my home, then I do not see why I shouldn’t be able to move around, so long as I follow the rules of staying within the vehicle? Not looking for moral guidance, just practical help.

Cheers!

Baldymark

This bloke seems to be on holiday, cannot see anything about essential travel only here

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Hello Baldymark, sounds like a nice plan but you cant go anywhere yet. Yourl soon find out when you can cause it will be all over the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I havent looked into this too deeply mainly because it doesnt affect me but ...............

If your GF lives in Kiev, and you are moving over there to be with her and have some form of documentation such as shed loads of texts and emails over the course of time and her address and phone numbers so she can contacted then as you arrive at the port that intend to escape from you would certainly be questioned as to your intent to leave as you would need to pass the essential travel, and being in a motorhome puts a huge red flag on you

So if you have a canoe on top with a windsurfer, and youre wearing hawaian shirt with sunglasses then your questions as to your intent of going abroad will be questioned far more thoroughly than if you were obviously moving. If you had Kiev set in your sat nav, a few roubles for cash when you got there that would add to the border officials confidence in allowing you to travel.

If you also happened to know the rules of the countries you intended to go through rather than the temperature of the sea near St Tropez that would probably help as well.

An email to the border agency with your intent and some evidence of your plan would probably help as well

Upvote 1
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If you plan to move to Romania, I strongly recommend to not have a U.K. registered Motorhome, unless you sell it once settled. GB plates can not be registered in Ro anymore. I have looked into it myself, they passed a law that states UK right hand drive can not pass RAR testing and no registrations. On the other hand, you can register a IRE plate as they are in EU.

Upvote 2

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I havent looked into this too deeply mainly because it doesnt affect me but ...............

So if you have a canoe on top with a windsurfer, and youre wearing hawaian shirt with sunglasses then your questions as to your intent of going abroad will be questioned far more thoroughly than if you were obviously moving.
suavecarve Sorry for 'carving'??? up your post but if the OP turned up dressed like that THIS WEEK he'd stand a chance of getting detained under the Mental Health Act

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It missed a generation with me but reappeared when our youngest appeared on, and won on 'Pointless'

He wore a Hawaiian shirt both times.
Can you give me a direction to where he lives ?

I need to pray in that direction every morning.

You dragged up a superstar (y)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This explains the state of play entering France. It looks like a non-starter and there aren't many other options for crossing the Channel.

There's a link at the bottom of the first box which goes to other countries and you could have a look at entering say Belgium and see what the rules are. Then find a ferry. :)

Brittany Ferries are still sailing to Spain from Portsmouth. You could check their entry requirements too.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This explains the state of play entering France. It looks like a non-starter and there aren't many other options for crossing the Channel.

There's a link at the bottom of the first box which goes to other countries and you could have a look at entering say Belgium and see what the rules are. Then find a ferry. :)
My understanding (though limited) is that should the OP be looking to set up home then transit of France for him would (if he satisfied the border officials of both UK and France) be allowed.

For the likes of thee and me, we are better off doing the pools this weekend !

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can you give me a direction to where he lives ?

I need to pray in that direction every morning.

You dragged up a superstar (y)

Roughly NNW. Bottom side of the Lake District scouring the Highways and Byways, looking for water leaks (on nights:cold:)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is from today's Times and is a summary of restrictions in place in a number of countries.

Belgium seems to be the only European countries which has more or less closed its borders. Spain seems one of the easiest to enter with a test before travel and one on arrival. France has banned non-EU travellers, which means us now though I suspect we would still be excluded as happened at the end of last year.

Whether you should travel just because you can is a different matter.

Screenshot_20210210-075911_The Times & Sunday Times.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baldymark

Baldymark

Free Member
Feb 9, 2021
Gosport, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brilliant stuff! Lots to ponder and evaluate there. Many thanks! I think Spain could be the answer. Now to buy a motorhome!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Brilliant stuff! Lots to ponder and evaluate there. Many thanks! I think Spain could be the answer. Now to buy a motorhome!
Getting from Spain to romania though may be hard ...the french are taking no prisoners it would seem ...you are only allowed 24 hours to transit through at present

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you plan to move to Romania, I strongly recommend to not have a U.K. registered Motorhome, unless you sell it once settled. GB plates can not be registered in Ro anymore. I have looked into it myself, they passed a law that states UK right hand drive can not pass RAR testing and no registrations. On the other hand, you can register a IRE plate as they are in EU.

Same problem here in Poland, but I doubt that an IRE plate would help here, as there is still a law that one must re-register and RHD is forbidden.

In my case watch this space.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baldymark

Baldymark

Free Member
Feb 9, 2021
Gosport, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Getting from Spain to romania though may be hard ...the french are taking no prisoners it would seem ...you are only allowed 24 hours to transit through at present
That is doable I suppose. How are they policing that? Are they checking every vechicle that crosses the border?

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Any transit in EU if I understood correctly, is based on 24hr from entry to exit. This was the case last year, when I crossed Austria, Hungary and Germany. In Germany I was offered a test I denied. Most transits are 24hr, unless you have special status like lorry driver or other type of worker that’s exempt. In Austria we got to sign a declaration that we will transit within 24hrs, otherwise provide details where to quarantine.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Once this Covid crap is over, your Irish passport will be the one to use. You should have no problem travelling around the EU countries with that....theoretically.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baldymark

Baldymark

Free Member
Feb 9, 2021
Gosport, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I agree. I can't see this mess ending any time soon, and while some restrictions may be lifted in the short term, long-term I have feeling things will only get worse, hence my eagerness to get away ASAP. I hope and prey for all ofus that I am wrong of course!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back