Germany - Emissions Sticker? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Embarrassed to say, having been through Germany and the Black Forest last month I didn’t think we needed any kind of emissions sticker unless going into major towns?

Just read a post elsewhere and the are saying they bought a sticker whilst passing through Freiburg in Breisgau?

Any one know if this is the case, is it necessary for general travel in Germany? Hoping to do most of the towns on the Romantic Road.

TIA

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We’re heading for the Black Forest at the moment (currently just past Trier) and picked up an emissions sticker from a TUV station in Bitburg yesterday morning (cost €6.80). The following link shows you where the low emissions zones are:

https://www.germanemissionssticker.com/zones/

You can buy the stickers at any TUV or DEKRA station - they just need to see your V5.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Stayed at the Stellplatz at Freiburg GPS 48.58088, 8.04556. 20 min walk to town hall, main building is locked but next to it on the right is a smaller entrance between the town hall and the tourist information office went in with log book and CoC only looked at log book 4.90 Euro Cash Only, done there and then. The town hall is about twenty mins walk from the Aire,
Aire was 9 Euro Cash Only for 7.5 mtr motorhome without electric or services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We failed to obtain an Umwelt sticker several years ago, as our engine (Merc 2.7l 2002) is too old. The TUV man said "just take a risk: that is what life is about"!

2y ago we drove through Freiburg on a busy Sunday morning, having come down the motorway from Colmar en route to Titisee. I never saw any warning sign but suddenly discovered the "you are entering an Umwelt Zone" and I had no choice but to do so. :oops:

Fortunately we got through without being stopped and that is the joy: no ANPR cameras nor other automated devices. IF you get pulled, pay the fine and weep (a little bit). Very different from London!
We also got through Aachen, which we'd approached on minor roads and, again, didn't see any warnings. [Perhaps I need to go to Barnard Castle?].

I have now utilised info on Environmental Zones and placed large green dots on relevant parts of my road atlas: at least I will know in advance where problems may arise. Why satnavs can't have that sort of info built in and updated appropriately I don't know.

Enjoy - Gordon

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
One potential issue is the type of motorhome; not all TUV stations will issue Umweltplaketten for private HGV classes. Had that issue when we lived in Cologne, typical German admin obsession, got the car sorted at a station 5 minutes away in Marsdorf but when taking the motorhome was told they were not able to do it and referred me to the nearest goods vehicle testing site in Weidenpesch which is the opposite side of the city, could understand it if they needed to look at the vehicle but they just generate a sticker based upon the V5C emissions data. It takes 5 mins with a member of staff on a computer. The online system is convenient but slightly more expensive. A simple process and no appointment needed at the TUV stations. Make sure you stick it on the screen in the right place as it doesn't come off if the make a mistake!

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Happily I'm in Germany at the moment. Be traveling to lake titisee today via back roads so shouldn't hit any towns with restrictions. I'll stop at a TUV station on the way if I see one.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have read the explanation on the Berlin website, but I have a further unanswered question about this table

How are foreign vehicles assigned to the emission groups?
The certificate for foreign-registered cars and thus the assignment of a sticker is governed by Article 6 of the Marking Ordinance (35. BImSchV – 35th Ordinance for the implementation of the Federal Immission Protection Act).

If the exhaust emission standard of a foreign-registered vehicle can be clearly identified from the vehicle documents, classification can be effected in accordance with Annexe 2 of the Marking Ordinance. Otherwise the assignment will be effected based on the year that the vehicle was first registered.

The following table provides an overview classification of foreign-registered vehicles based on the date of initial registration (there may be variances in individual cases).

Euro norm
Emission
group
First registration - car​
First registration - truck​
Sticker
Diesel
Euro 1 or older
1​
before 1 Jan. 1997before 1 Oct. 1996
None​
Euro 2
2​
between 1 Jan. 1997
and 31 Dec. 2000
between 1 Oct. 1997
and 30 Sep. 2000
Red​
Euro 3
3​
between 1 Jan. 2001
and 31 Dec. 2005
between 1 Oct. 1997
and 30 Sep. 2000
Yellow​
Euro 4 and better
4​
from 1 Jan. 2006from 1 Oct. 2006
Green​
Petrol
before Euro 1
(without 3-way cat)
1​
before 1 Jan. 1993
None​
Euro 1 and better
4​
from 1 Jan. 1993
Green​

Electric vehicles without combustion engine belong to emission group 4.

My exhaust emission standard is not stated. So I hav to go to the dates table.

My question is whether a 3850kg motorhome is classed as a 'car' or a 'truck' for these purposes?

If the answer is a 'truck' then the info is contradictory in that the dates of 'between 1 Oct 1997 and 30 Sep 2000' occur in both Red and Yellow categories.

Any definitive answer welcomed.

Geoff

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you're not already there, order online from Berlin. Much less hassle and arrives quickly. Had no trouble getting my '4' sticker, despite being over 3500kg.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm in a similar situation. The V5 for my March 1995 diesel VW T4 (2775kg) based m/h doesn't show anything in the Emissions part.
The table above shows that there is no sticker issued (required?) so presumably that means I can't enter any restricted emission zones......:unsure:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm in a similar situation. The V5 for my March 1995 diesel VW T4 (2775kg) based m/h doesn't show anything in the Emissions part.
The table above shows that there is no sticker issued (required?) so presumably that means I can't enter any restricted emission zones......:unsure:

Yes, your vehicle is officially a high polluting vehicle and not allowed in any low emissions zones. You need a Euro 4, which is about a decade newer. There used to be lower numbers, but there is only one zone left that will even take a '3' sticker (Neu-Ulm), so even that is pretty pointless.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yes, your vehicle is officially a high polluting vehicle and not allowed in any low emissions zones. You need a Euro 4, which is about a decade newer. There used to be lower numbers, but there is only one zone left that will even take a '3' sticker (Neu-Ulm), so even that is pretty pointless.
Oh dear. I had planned to do the Romantic route this year and was hoping for next year. If I have to change to a Euro 4 it'll be the most expensive romantic adventure since my two marriages.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Oh dear. I had planned to do the Romantic route this year and was hoping for next year. If I have to change to a Euro 4 it'll be the most expensive romantic adventure since my two marriages.

As far I know, only Augsburg has a low emissions zone at the moment. It covers only the city centre. You can easily get within walking distance of the sights whilst remaining parked outside.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Simple if you are still at home wishing to get the sticker for a future visit, look here https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.85047.php

Be aware that as with most things these days there are sites that will offer the same service at inflated costs!

Thanks for the link .I have just ordered one for the van.

Cheaper to pay the 40€ fine if you entered a prohibited area & actually got stopped . Far cheaper than changing:giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

If you are sure of that I will abandon my application as at best I can only get a 3 - yellow.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back