Markb20

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
Total newbie
Hi I want to buy a small portable generator to charge my motorhome every couple of weeks it’s a swift motorhome. I started looking at generators and it’s a complete mine field any advice would be appreciated

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Probably the best choices are the Honda Suitcase ones ... like the 1kW EU10i. They do a 2Kw one as well. Nice and quiet, compared to some of the other ones I've seen (and heard!) ... no doubt someone will say they have an Aldi special at 1/3rd of the price .... :LOL:

If you just want to keep the battery charged, I'd have fitted a solar panel. You could also keep the leisure and vehicle batteries charged if you get battery to battery unit (about £50 or so installed) - if your motorhome does not do it already ...

You should get enough power to keep charged in Winter if you have modest sized solar panel .. it would also work if you were on the road, and be cheaper than a generator.

Just a thought, there may be another reason that you want a generator!
Cheers

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is it because it’s in storage in a compound that he need power

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Something as simple as this may suffice for your requirements.

4 stroke, economic and quiet when running.

I have one for a different application, but I have plugged a van into it to power the onboard battery charger.

They do them in bigger sizes too.

Nassboards Instant Power Portable Suitcase Inverter Petrol Generator 4 Stroke 2.6HP 800W 12V 230V Amazon product ASIN B07XZMFV5H

Screwfix do a very similar looking one, with different branding.

The Hyundai P1 range appear quite popular too, I’ve not used one but have seen quite a few about.

If you look for a Honda Eu10i.....get it from a reputable source as there are hundreds of fake replicas out there 😱

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you're looking at cheaper ones look on amazon for the user reviews, I always find them very useful.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
What is the best way to use a generator to charge the batteries? Plug into the motorhome and use the onboard charger or use a more powerful stand alone charger ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Probably need more information

Is the van in storage ?

How often do you intend visiting the van to top up the generator?
If it’s at home buy a trickle charger

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What is the best way to use a generator to charge the batteries? Plug into the motorhome and use the onboard charger or use a more powerful stand alone charger ?
First work out the largest current the batteries will take. Add up the total Amp-hours of the batteries and divide by 5. For example, for 200Ah of battery, the max current is 200/5 = 40 amps.

Then see what current the on-board charger will supply. Typically between 15 and 20 amps. If it's a lot smaller than the max current then it might be worth getting a bigger charger, it will reduce the generator run time.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I have a 1.6KW yellow Loncin 4 stroke genny. Does the job.
Try and buy something reasonable in weight to lift and store and allow for the weight of the fuel as well.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Something as simple as this may suffice for your requirements.

4 stroke, economic and quiet when running.

I have one for a different application, but I have plugged a van into it to power the onboard battery charger.

They do them in bigger sizes too.

Nassboards Instant Power Portable Suitcase Inverter Petrol Generator 4 Stroke 2.6HP 800W 12V 230V Amazon product ASIN B07XZMFV5H

Screwfix do a very similar looking one, with different branding.

The Hyundai P1 range appear quite popular too, I’ve not used one but have seen quite a few about.

If you look for a Honda Eu10i.....get it from a reputable source as there are hundreds of fake replicas out there 😱

I have had the Clarke equivalent (the IG 950) of the Screwfix Impax one posted above (Wolfe also do a version - same gennie, different colour side panels)

It's been perfect for charging my leisure battery when at various events where hook up is not available - it was 180 quid delivered about 4 years ago

Not too noisy, used sensibly and with consideration to others is a great asset for very little dosh

OP
OP
M

Markb20

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks for your advice My motorhome is in storage I keep a eye on the batteries and over 2 weeks they both go down to about 11.7 I have a sola panel which trickle charges both batteries but they still start losing power. I bring it home and charge it up and then return to compound. I just thought it would be easier to take a small generator there plug it in have a cuppa while it charges

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I should have mentioned in my previous post, make sure you buy a generator with a pure sine wave output

You can use it on sensitive electrical/electronic items - watch the tele whilst you charge the batteries

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
^^^ This was my idea as well when we bought our first MH at the beginning of the year, I didn't want to invest in a solar panel and ancillaries if we found the lifestyle not for us. I purchased a Honda EU10i with LPG conversion, it seemed to be the quietest around and given the marque would have a reasonable resale value if MHing was not for us. The 2kw version would have given more options off EHU but its said to be noisier and certainly heavier. I've yet to use it in the storage compound, if it's going to sit for more than a couple of weeks (both cab and habitation batteries are in good condition) they are disconnected . My Ducato 2015 doesn't seem to mind, yes you have to input a few settings , the radio etc has no code, and yes it takes a few minutes. Although the MH has an alarm it's not declared on the insurance therefore unless I'm wrong there's no requirement to use it

If I had discovered a discharged battery in storage, I think it would be a very long cuppa stop before any decent level of charge was accumulated and I would in this instance just take the battery home.

Since we're really enjoying the lifestyle, I'm now considering whether now is the time to invest in solar panels B2B etc to give us off grid capabilities and hopefully keep the batteries topped up in storage.. Then what happens to the generator- I guess I don't need it, it does have some uses for gardening but a longer extension would of course be much cheaper or do I keep it for off grid in the UK in winter.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How big is the solar panel? Do you know that it is actually working? It should keep a battery topped up even in winter.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If you take the batteries home to charge them why not keep them there till you need them ?

OP
OP
M

Markb20

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
Total newbie
There seems to be a constant 0.3 amps draw on either the leisure battery or the engine battery I know the tracking device takes power I’m not sure what else as this is all new to me this year but learning slowly I have just checked my app 0.3amps being drawn and my solar panel charging vehicle battery 0.3a but later on when there is no sola charge this is when my batteries slowly over a couple of weeks start losing there power

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
How big is the solar panel? Do you know that it is actually working? It should keep a battery topped up even in winter.
We have two 130 panels and they can't give enough juice to keep our batteries charged up in winter.
It is probably not the fault of the panels because they Moho has to be parked right next to the house on the north side so the panels are in the shade of the house for most of the day.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There seems to be a constant 0.3 amps draw on either the leisure battery or the engine battery I know the tracking device takes power I’m not sure what else as this is all new to me this year but learning slowly I have just checked my app 0.3amps being drawn and my solar panel charging vehicle battery 0.3a but later on when there is no sola charge this is when my batteries slowly over a couple of weeks start losing there power

Our tracker uses between 0.035a and 0.080a depending on whether it's transmitting it's location, which it does briefly every 5 minutes. Other than that when the main switch is off the drain is just 4ma.
If I were you I'd be finding out what's using the power continously.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Our tracker uses between 0.035a and 0.080a depending on whether it's transmitting it's location, which it does briefly every 5 minutes. Other than that when the main switch is off the drain is just 4ma.
If I were you I'd be finding out what's using the power continously.
Probably cheaper to buy a generator then to pay an auto electrician to work on the van.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do the maths. A constant 0.3amps is 0.3 x 24 = 7.2 amp-hours over 24 hours, and over a week that's 7.2 x 7 = 50.4 amp-hours. With 2 x 100Ah batteries, they will be down to 50% in two weeks.

You'll need a big solar panel to yield 7.2 Ah per day in the winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back