Gaslow installation costs (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Going to approach a couple of local certified dealers to explore gaslow system installation probably a 6kg and 11kg with an external filler cap. I know costs across the country may vary significantly but can anyone give me a ballpark figure before I approach the installers to judge if they are being reasonable? DIY beyond my skills. Ta.

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi, this might help, the full kit quotes in 2016 for two 11kg bottles and hoses were circa £450, plus a further £110 – £140 for installation by a professional. Fitted by Autogas 2000 in Thirsk.
P.S. I bought my refillable bottles from a Funster, just 3 months old and then had it fitted professionally including the filler cap positioned in the bodywork at Autogas 2000.
I didn't want the filler cap in the locker door as we were heading off in to Europe.

Regards
Dave

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I realise you don't want to do it yourself but a cost guide may be that I fitted mine from scratch in under an hour.
For you a mobile caravan/motorhome engineer might be more competitive/convenient.
Mine comprises one 6kg Gaslow refillable and one 6kg exchangeable Calor cylinder (belt 'n braces) that I already had. I've never needed to use the Calor which is merely a 'reserve'. All of my trips of more than 48hrs have been abroad.
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 004.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I realise you don't want to do it yourself but a cost guide may be that I fitted mine from scratch in under an hour.
For you a mobile caravan/motorhome engineer might be more competitive/convenient.
Mine comprises one 6kg Gaslow refillable and one 6kg exchangeable Calor cylinder (belt 'n braces) that I already had. I've never needed to use the Calor which is merely a 'reserve'. All of my trips of more than 48hrs have been abroad.
View attachment 436745

View attachment 436746
I'm considering doing something similar with a Gasit/Calor combination. The Gasit system seems very straightforward to install and is cheaper than gaslow buying from sailandrail.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I'm considering doing something similar with a Gasit/Calor combination. The Gasit system seems very straightforward to install and is cheaper than gaslow buying from sailandrail.
Yes, apart from cutting the hole for the filler unit it was as easy to install as changing a gas bottle.
The price wasn't relevant to me but I liked the fact that the Gaslow hoses were braided s/steel protected whereas I believe the Gasit ones are 'bare' rubber.
Brilliant techy advice and customer service from Gaslow. (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Yes, apart from cutting the hole for the filler unit it was as easy to install as changing a gas bottle.
The price wasn't relevant to me but I liked the fact that the Gaslow hoses were braided s/steel protected whereas I believe the Gasit ones are 'bare' rubber.
Brilliant techy advice and customer service from Gaslow. (y)
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that and will factor that into my final decision! I'm tempted to just have the 1 x 6kg and do away with the calor to be honest because none of my trips are going to exceed 2 weeks (by much anyway) due to me still working full time.:(

Upvote 0
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I paid around £90-£100 cash for the fitting and leak test of 1x 11kg Gaslow with external fill point earlier this year, interestingly the dealer/fitter was also Gas safe registered for the job. Yes I could of done it myself (except the leak test)having watched the install , however when I factor in the cost of purchasing the required hole saw etc it seemed money well spent.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that and will factor that into my final decision! I'm tempted to just have the 1 x 6kg and do away with the calor to be honest because none of my trips are going to exceed 2 weeks (by much anyway) due to me still working full time.:(
I already had the two 6kg Calor so the only extra cost was the connector pigtail to feed gas from the retained Calor cylinder to the Gaslow regulator. With only one cylinder, when you've run out you've run out, and it always happens when you're in the process of using gas. (Obviously!).
LPG stations in some areas of the U.K. appear to be becoming fewer as Shell (or is it Esso?) are withdrawing them from forecourts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Seen these on F/book
Not sure about value but you could buy them and get somebody to fit for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
All very informative, thanks. Like the idea of calor cylinder and LPG option. Will discuss with installers next week, now better informed. Republic of Ireland LPG outlets quite sparse, here in Northern Ireland better so that is a factor but so is touring Europe when that comes fully back on stream. Will post costs when spoken to local installers.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I fitted my twin 11KG Gasit and it’s very easy I used a small filler cap so only needed I think 22/25mm hole and fitted in the skirt so easy to get at and no hole in main body.😊

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I fitted my twin 11KG Gasit and it’s very easy I used a small filler cap so only needed I think 22/25mm hole and fitted in the skirt so easy to get at and no hole in main body.😊
Thanks!
I wouldn't want to drill through the body either. Is there any issue with the internal filler option?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I had one on our auto trail tracker the only issue is that some garages might not let you fill, with the outside fitting you can’t tell if it’s cylinders or bulk tank.😊 have to say never had a problem with either installation👍

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I had one on our auto trail tracker the only issue is that some garages might not let you fill, with the outside fitting you can’t tell if it’s cylinders or bulk tank.😊 have to say never had a problem with either installation👍
I haven't really got anywhere to mount one that isn't directly on the body so I think internal is the way to go for me. Thanks

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Size of bottle is determined by how big your gas locker is. I'd go for the biggest bottle I could get in but unfortunately my Swift will only take 2x6kg refillables or 2x7kg Calor. Personally I wouldn't have a a Calor alongside a refillable, seems to take away the point of a refillable even if you rarely use the Calor - which wouldn't be the case with me unfortunately.
In the almost 10 years it's been fitted never had a problem finding a gas refill anywhere in Europe. Occasionally I've had to "plan" my route to include a supplier as there are a couple of countries where cover is sparse.
As regards refusal to refill I have had a couple of occasions, even though I've got an external filler - no worries just move on to the next!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I haven't really got anywhere to mount one that isn't directly on the body so I think internal is the way to go for me. Thanks
If I ever remove or transfer my Gaslow filler unit I'll just put a white plastic ventilation grille over the hole that remains in the gas locker door. No one will ever know the difference.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Personally, I'd just fit one, and use the savings on a radar level gauge to let you know when you're getting low. Unlike a Calor style system, you can fill whenever you like, so you don't have to ensure you're completely empty before refilling. By only having one bottle, you save weight and have a convenient extra bit of storage.

I guess if you have a gas fridge and use gas heating, you might not think the volume enough, though. Mine is electric fridge and diesel heating, so 25 litres should last me ages with just cooking and water heating by gas.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back