On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
don't have c remote ,

but do have the Gaslow auto changeover head at £57 .. d
That's only a changeover don't you still need a regulator.
Last 2 vans we have coughed up for the Hymer option which includes the C-Remote and regulator heater €300 but convenient.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's only a changeover don't you still need a regulator.
Last 2 vans we have coughed up for the Hymer option which includes the C-Remote and regulator heater €300 but convenient.

I fitted the Clesse regulator and the auto changeover head .. but to be frank..regret fitting it, prefer to change over manually then you know that one bottle has run out.. so I now keep one bottle isolated until the gas runs out in the other .. then refill as soon as convenient. On auto I run the risk of emptying both bottles, that would be an inconvenience I don't need.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Ive not checked to be honest so this may be rubbish :D
But when i was looking into it i think the dispensing pressure was something in the reigon of 100psi above tank vapour pressure...which can vary quite a bit depending on temperature...
Again i dont know or remember the max pressure for my regulator but taking yours as an eg ie 230psi then i suppose on a hot day with a tank temperature of around 27degrees C that figure could be reached...
And of course the advice is to shut the cylinders... its just i have never bothered....
Im sure my regulator was around £40 and i thought that was pricey :(
Andy.
100 psi is roughly 7bar. My Cavagna regulator can withstand an input of 20bar so should be ok. Please check my calculations. Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
100 bar is roughly 7bar. My Cavagna regulator can withstand an input of 20bar so should be ok. Please check my calculations. Mike

Hi mike.. yea ive still not really looked into it since fitting my system, but have never shut my tank outlet when refilling ... from memory it was not likely to damage the regulator but i accept best practice says you should isolate the regulator from filling pressure...
With the best intentions a lot of folk will forget to anyway...
Dont know if you have time to edit but your 100 is obviously psi and not bar...
Andy..

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Clesse regulator from Gaslow is £36.50 ..

I asked Gaslow about closing bottle valves when filling..

Hi James

Thank you for your enquiry, you should always turn of the outlet from the cylinders when refilling, otherwise the pressure on the regulator increases and can damage it while filling. Also if its not turned off, you can risk getting liquid gas into the regulator.

Regards

Jacquie
Well I never, have had gaslow about eight years now and never realised it should be turned off when refilling, I have two large bottles and always have them both turned on, better change my ways.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well I never, have had gaslow about eight years now and never realised it should be turned off when refilling, I have two large bottles and always have them both turned on, better change my ways.

why the sarcasm..?

The OP asked for filling advice, the safe filling advice is from Gaslow, who know a thing or two about refilling bottles..

Gasit also give the same advice.. http://www.gasit.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=3

Untitled.png

Attachments

• File-1440512781.pdf
    434.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Interesting: on the one hand we are encouraged to fit the Gaslow filling nozzle on the outside of the van so we don't have to open the locker door when refilling (and thus be forbidden from filling by the service station); on the other hand we are told we have to open the gas locker door to turn off the bottles in order to fill (and thus run the risk of being forbidden from filling by the service station).

Alternatively, we could could stop before the filling station, open the locker, turn off the bottles, drive to the station, fill without opening the locker door, drive round the corner, stop, open the locker, turn on the bottles and continue with the journey.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting: on the one hand we are encouraged to fit the Gaslow filling nozzle on the outside of the van so we don't have to open the locker door when refilling (and thus be forbidden from filling by the service station); on the other hand we are told we have to open the gas locker door to turn off the bottles in order to fill (and thus run the risk of being forbidden from filling by the service station).

Alternatively, we could could stop before the filling station, open the locker, turn off the bottles, drive to the station, fill without opening the locker door, drive round the corner, stop, open the locker, turn on the bottles and continue with the journey.

Or as I wrote previously

'We drive with our bottles off, so they are already off when we reach the pump.'

Also saves a lot of discussion on forums:D

Geoff

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
but it is possible to use the heating while on the move these days, certainly with the diesel heating and im assuming same with the gas as well... ill bet that a lot of folk just drive in and fill without even remembering to shut their tank or cylinders.... I know I did:D and now I never give it a thought... but then im been honest..:LOL::LOL:...
Andy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
but it is possible to use the heating while on the move these days, certainly with the diesel heating and im assuming same with the gas as well... ill bet that a lot of folk just drive in and fill without even remembering to shut their tank or cylinders.... I know I did:D and now I never give it a thought... but then im been honest..:LOL::LOL:...
Andy

yes, when required I drive with Truma heating on, and yes have also forgotten to do a lot of things I know aren't right.. like not turning off bottles before filling, and when we had the RV the fridge only had 240v or Gas no 12v option, .. so it was on all the time and I often forgot to turn it off when refuelling.. even left it on by mistake on a ferry.. still here to tell the tale. ..

A bit like pushing wires into sockets when no plug to fit ... we get away with it but doesn't make it right or safe.. nor would you advise anyone else to do that.. what we preach and what we practice are often quite different.. :whistle:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Pulled into garage in alps recently with both bottles on ( running heating whilst driving at -5 deg, and fridge on gas (. Forgot to switch to 12v when moved off) )
Plugged in gas filler but pressed red button not green so:gas stopped :whistle:
Then remembered bottles turned in, heating on, fridge on !!
Promptly woke up turned everything off an filled with gas and wondered what would ha happened if had chosen green bottom over red?!:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've just bought a device from the US to accurately show bottle contents. I know this is the Holy Grail of the bottled gas users world but I really think this thing might have cracked it. It's basically a weighing scale with a remote readout that also transmits using Bluetooth to a smartphone app. The scale sits under the bottle and the remote can be positioned (within the limits of its cable) wherever you choose. It shows % of gas left. If two bottles are teed it only needs to be under one of them to remain accurate. It has arrived here but I haven't as yet had time to install it. I'll report back when I know how accurate (or not) it is. It's called a GasWatch.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've just bought a device from the US to accurately show bottle contents. I know this is the Holy Grail of the bottled gas users world but I really think this thing might have cracked it. It's basically a weighing scale with a remote readout that also transmits using Bluetooth to a smartphone app. The scale sits under the bottle and the remote can be positioned (within the limits of its cable) wherever you choose. It shows % of gas left. If two bottles are teed it only needs to be under one of them to remain accurate. It has arrived here but I haven't as yet had time to install it. I'll report back when I know how accurate (or not) it is. It's called a GasWatch.

It is suitable for Tare Weight (Empty Tank Weight) - 16.6lb, 17.0lb, 17.6lb, 18.0lb, and 19.0lb.

Looks interesting but I wonder how well it would sit, and register, on our bottles especially when they're well strapped in.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Nothing I say is intended to lessen the severity of this or any other similar event but I would be interested to know the exact circumstances. What system was in use, was it an external filler, was it a loose cylinder that should not have been refilled and how knowledgeable was the man doing the filling.
I think it is reasonable to say that we all have an obligation to carry out these procedures in the safest way possible for our own safety as well as that of all others. I am aware that we should shut off the valves before filling and it can be a nuisance and yes the figures quoted in other posts suggest there is nothing to worry about but we should follow the advice of all the manufacturers. By the way, I am no Angel I have in the past failed to follow this advice.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I have an on board gas tank mounted on the outside behind passenger seat. Obviously it has a remote filler but you have to open the small door that shows the level gauge to turn on the valve to allow gas to fill the tank. Whilst doing that I turn off the outlet from tank to inside. When full of gas I then shut the inlet & open the outlet.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Would only work with a 14kg Alugas cylinder, 11kg & 6kg would be too light.
There will be a margin of error with different tare weights but the error will be constant. So far it's the best device I've seen. And funnily enough I'm running Alugas cylinders :). Cylinders held by fabric straps should be OK but if not they can be eased a little - fabric straps tight or slack will have little effect in an accident anyway.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wouldn't want auto changeover without the remote indicator, with it, it works a treat.
Depends on your routine. If you travel with bottles switched off, you'll visit the locker regularly enough top know when you've switched to reserve.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Depends on your routine. If you travel with bottles switched off, you'll visit the locker regularly enough top know when you've switched to reserve.
Since have long a Secumotion regulators & anti rupture hoses only turn the gas off for ferries.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We have refilled our Gas Low three times @ shell garage in Vera AP7 this winter and found our grill was taking 60 seconds to ignite until this morning and now it is igniting in 10 seconds , is it quality of gas as the temperature has been pretty constant ??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Spain can be up to 65% butane cold mornings could affect it if down below 10°. Grill should still light but will take longer to heat the thermocouple to keep it alight.

Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Just put one of these on my van. I have an 11kg GasIt cylinder and a 6kg propane as a back up. The gauge is manual so the propane cylinder is permanently turned off until required.4835A9A0-4501-410F-B4A6-F0DC989C2074.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's an 8 year old thread, those gauges are useless they only tell you when the cylinder is nearly empty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back