Gaslow filling, is this normal! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Its only the second time I have filled up, but this puts the shits up me! You can see the panic, but is this normal or am I doing something wrong! Its about the gas escape at release.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
There is always some escape of gas as you disconnect but the amount of gas escaping seems excessive. Have you got a non return valve in the filler point.?
DP

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We did not like filling at Petrol stations so googled Auto Gas and found a local gas place just go there they fill it up no problems or worries. Try Mr Google.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You always get a quick puff of liquid gas vaporising when you disconnect but I've never seen it that bad.
Always advisable to wear heavy gloves when filling.

New fillers they have been fitting over the last year have lot better hand protection.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that looks like the non return valve in the filler is not working, but the one on the cylinder is. it always gives a loud pshhh for 1-2 seconds as you de-couple but that is excessive

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Better quality nozzles have a shroud to protect the trigger hand
Yup, the nozzle at my local filling station has just been upgraded with one. It has a shield a bit like the plastic cone things that a vet puts over a dog's head.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, I don't think I'd be that close with a mobile phone to flammable gas..
Have you tried filling up at another place and compare the amount of release when disconnected.
As it happens, my local place fills for you although when I have filled myself, nowhere near the amount of vapour release. The operator doesn't wear gloves either..
If you tried another place and it was the same, I'd look to having my system checked. If less vapour then it appears to be that particular place,
You also appeared to struggle releasing the filler and I've never had that difficulty or seen it

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is done too quickly, release the trigger and it will vent the excess, then when it has stopped release the fitting, that was released too soon after the trigger was released and the vehicle valve was open a bit allowing the extra to vent . You SHOULD always wear gloves as the freeze burn is deep and serious. The latent heat of the evaporation of the liquid to gas will draw all the body heat from you arms and hands it touches. The shield on the handle is a requirement to divert the direst stream from the hands. There was not one on that handle.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine blasts in a shot when I release the latch. Pretty much hard enough to push the gun off. But immediately stops.

Where is the non-return valve? If it's in the tanks and you've got an external fill point, there's probably a fair amount of gas in the lines to the fill point?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The shield on the handle is a requirement to divert the direst stream from the hands. There was not one on that handle.
I'm sure the one in the video is legal. I don't think there's any actual requirements for shield other than what's in place.
Gas companies along with petrol stations are acutely aware of regulations

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
There is always some escape of gas as you disconnect but the amount of gas escaping seems excessive. Have you got a non return valve in the filler point.?
DP
Don't know. It was fitted by vanbitz in taunton but they seem to have left the site. I thought the name was @eddyvanbitz but this no longer comes up in the search.

Anyone know what happened to them so i can direct them to the video?

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Imho the German connectors are by far the best. Securely screw on and have little vents to disperse the residual gas once pumping completed. No more freezer burned knuckles!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That looked normal to me. Usually it is a quick, violent, blast of vapour. That one seemed slow & therefore took longer. Simply wait until the hissing stops before trying to remove the filler. What is released is liquid trapped between the filler nozzle trigger valve and the one-way valve of the vehicle filler connection. It is a small amount of liquid that produces a very decent puff of vapour as it is released. The apparent panic is more dangerous than the release of vapour :) .

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Didn't look right to me and I would also have a concern if that were me - yes a small psst but not like your video. Might be worth getting it checked out as there are different views here.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looked about normal to me, however might have been more because of the clumsy way it was disconnected. Wear suitable gloves, I bought some cryo ones from amazon solely for this purpose.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looked normal to me the delay in removing the nozzle causes the pressure release to be elongated slow and steady

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
To me it did look a bit excessive.I get a short burst when you release,which is normal. No need to rush as the pump has stopped when it reached 80%.
I would get some longer rubber btw?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Looking at it again, I think that's probably the same amount I get, just I get it all in one thud of pressure when I release the latch. That looks like it's releasing it more slowly.

As others have mentioned, release the latch then move your hands away. Wait a couple of seconds and then extract the nozzle, being careful not to grab anything that might give you freeze burns.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
eddievanbitz

Whats your opinion?

That blast won't stop until I take off the nozzle. That's why its really difficult to remove.
If this is the case then it's a faulty filler nozzle at the station and nothing to do with your vehicle....
BUT
As others have said once the pump auto cuts off ( @80%) then simply un click the catch on the filling nozzle THEN WAIT for the gas to escape which should take max 3 secs
Then and only then unscrew the nozzle and remove the filler from the vehicle.
If the gas does not stop within a few seconds after you release the trigger I would not fill up there again and try somewhere else.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Removing the gun/nozzle wouldn't affect the non return valve, the proof of this pudding is screwing a continental adapter in, prior to connecting the nozzle doesn't allow gas to escape

Hard to be 100% definitive looking at the video, but I would say that its normal.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If a blowback wasn't normal they wouldn't fit shields to the nozzles.
Just an idle thought but would the ambient temp into which the gas escapes affect the external appearance/intensity/spread of the vapour?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If a blowback wasn't normal they wouldn't fit shields to the nozzles.
Just an idle thought but would the ambient temp into which the gas escapes affect the external appearance/intensity/spread of the vapour?
Suspect not. It boils at -40degC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back