Gas tanks (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I currently have 2 x 11kg Gaslight propane tanks on board, we are looking at going to Spain in the future for some winter sun, 3 months should do it, now I presume that our current bottles won't last?

Now I know that I should have fitted a refillable system at the start of ownership 4 plus years ago but I spent all my spare cash with Eddie (vanbitz)

I fancy a fixed tank underneath( Autogas 2000) but I'm married to a Site Accountant and she says no, "we may as well buy Spanish gas bottles as we'll never recover the cost", even though I've said we can remove it when coming to sell van and install on next

we'll be staying on a mix of Aires and sites

Is she right?

Andy

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Refillable is the way to go we have twin 11KG Gasit cylinders which I installed myself it’s very easy to do. We’ve been wintering in Spain & Portugal for years now and they just take the hassle of worrying about gas.(y)(y)(y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What time of the year do you travel? We use the heating a fair bit on the way down through France and occasionally overnight when in Spain.(y)
The 1st two times I went to Spain through France was March, I had two 6kg bottles and a spare inside which I never used. If the OPs using sites as well it may last. Admittedly I do now have 2 × 11kg GasLow. The OP could just get a safefill or replace one of the non refillable with a refillable quite cheaply.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have a big fridge freezer in my Mh and it uses 2 x 11kg bottles in about 1 month with a little hot water use etc but having lpg system it’s so easy to refill up at any lpg gge anywhere in the world. Had mine just over 5 years now and paid for themselves easily but it all about the convenience and not hurting your back lugging bottles in and out !!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The 1st two times I went to Spain through France was March, I had two 6kg bottles and a spare inside which I never used. If the OPs using sites as well it may last. Admittedly I do now have 2 × 11kg GasLow. The OP could just get a safefill or replace one of the non refillable with a refillable quite cheaply.
We travel every year November and rest assured France and Spain can be very cold at night and heating is required we have never got by with only two full 11KG cylinders.(y)(y)(y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have found that the refillable / Spanish gas bottle question is answered by the type of " touring " you do.

We like certain sites in Spain and when travelling to them we stay a few days here, a few days there so we are on the road travelling quite frequently and this is where the Gaslow system comes into its own.

When we get to the sites we like we tend to stay for quite a few weeks in order to get discounted rates and so that is when the Spanish bottle comes into its own as the sites we stay on sell the refills of the Repsol Propane we use.

As the discounted rates quite often don't include an electricity allowance we are totally on gas in the MH and often have the heating on in the evening and so this year the shortest period we got out of a 12 kg bottle was 12 days .If we didn't have the ability to replace the Spanish bottle we would have to take the awning down and set the MH up for travelling in order to go off site and fill up the Gaslow with LPG.

Thus our setup for Spain is 1 x 11 kg Gaslow and 1x 12kg Repsol Propane.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can now get a hose that connects a cylinder externally via your gas filler to supplement your refillables available from Gaslow with different cylinder connectors.(y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@Speve
Thanks for that. I had considered on of those but I have an in-locker filler point so would have to leave the gas locker door open and I'm not a fan of leaving bottles outside the van.
Barry

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Thanks all for replies, so the choice is 1 x Spanish bottle £ cheap? V's £800 underslung tank freeing up locker

Somehow I think I'm on the losing side

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all for replies, so the choice is 1 x Spanish bottle £ cheap? V's £800 underslung tank freeing up locker

Somehow I think I'm on the losing side

That's what we just paid for ours, 55 litre underslung autogas 2000, depends how much storage you have and if the locker is important, its a good sized extra locker but we just imported ours in April 2018 and didn't have any refillable system so for the extra couple hundred decided to get the underslung one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your destination is Spain and you won't spend loads of time getting there, then you could just take 1 x 11kg Calor and get a Spanish bottle when you get there, use the Spanish one once you arrive and keep the Calor as a backup (assuming you haven't used it all up on the way there!), that way you can just replace the Spanish one as/when you need to. The better option, IMV though, would be to have 1 x 11kg refillable only and use a Spanish bottle when there as above especially if you don't intend to move the MH around much to refill, or go the whole hog with 2 x 11kg refillables but you will need to move the MH to top it up when needed.

It really depends on how long you stay in one place etc to determine which is the best option for you but I wouldn't go for an underslung tank as they are not the easiest thing to move from one vehicle to another, unlike the refillable cylinders which are and cheaper too.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have found that the refillable / Spanish gas bottle question is answered by the type of " touring " you do.

We like certain sites in Spain and when travelling to them we stay a few days here, a few days there so we are on the road travelling quite frequently and this is where the Gaslow system comes into its own.

When we get to the sites we like we tend to stay for quite a few weeks in order to get discounted rates and so that is when the Spanish bottle comes into its own as the sites we stay on sell the refills of the Repsol Propane we use.

As the discounted rates quite often don't include an electricity allowance we are totally on gas in the MH and often have the heating on in the evening and so this year the shortest period we got out of a 12 kg bottle was 12 days .If we didn't have the ability to replace the Spanish bottle we would have to take the awning down and set the MH up for travelling in order to go off site and fill up the Gaslow with LPG.

Hope this helps.

Barry
Almost exactly the same for us for the same reasons except we have a 1 x AluGas refillable and 1 x Cepsa Spanish swappable.

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Just had another thought, take both gaslights full, when in Spain bin empty bottle, buy repsol or whatever they are with regulator, do as a few have said by using Spanish gas then I still have 1 backup propane on way home

Cannot believe I've talked myself out of a refillable system!

How does Spanish gas compare pricewise to English rip of's

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014

Repsol Propane
Onsite a 12 kg (24 litre) can cost anything from €14 to €17.50

From a Repsol filling station 2 or 3 euros cheaper.

Factor in about €10 to15 for the empty bottle and about £15 - 20 for the Jumbo Spanish adaptor & hose if bought in UK.

I think LPG in Spain, last time I filled up was about €0.70 a litre. Don't forget also you will need adaptors for the LPG pump.

Is your brain starting to hurt yet?:whistle:

I was lucky enough to buy a 11 kg Gaslow with hoses and filler point for £110 off eBay and fit it myself

Barry

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
I'm thinking the Repsol direction makes the most economical sense for us (god I sound like my wife!)

We currently get through approx 2 x 11kg bottles a year as we both work full time, I would definately get a refillable gas system for another van but as we've had this one for 4 plus yrs I would rather put the money towards other MHing things, unless one crops up at a very good price

A friend fitted an underslung Gasit complete system for £400 but that will still take some grabbing back!

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
It’s the convenience of being able to get gas when required in uk or continent without needing different bottles. And no lifting heavy bottles. Our gaslow s are now in 3rd motorhome and 12 years old. Purchased more for convenience than saving money.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just had another thought, take both gaslights full, when in Spain bin empty bottle, buy repsol or whatever they are with regulator, do as a few have said by using Spanish gas then I still have 1 backup propane on way home

Cannot believe I've talked myself out of a refillable system!

Fit a BBQ point and use a Spanish bottle feeding through a Spanish regulator. Repsol bottle about 15€ I believe.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Think it depends on where you buy. I've just brought two propane for the house we are looking after and they where €12 each. Cheaper than the butane which I paid €15 for last week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back