Gas Pipe Age (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
So I’ve had the van in to have BBQ point added.

Before any one says, I know full well it shouldn’t be installed in a door with rubber hose. I’m fumming about the work that’s been done on it.

More worryingly and I hope I’m wrong. Is that pipe dated February 2002?

Not only this, after testing a few bits they left the van full of water and let it freeze soild.

Attachments

• 79DC65FC-5E73-4C17-968B-B84FB7983A50.jpeg
    79DC65FC-5E73-4C17-968B-B84FB7983A50.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
NorthenMotorhome
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
Doing a little research, replacement of the house is recommended every 10 years or replaced immediately if inspection reveals any defect like rodent attack or loosening fittings etc.
Agreed, even at 5 years in some places. That’s why I’m so horrified if that’s been installed this week as part of a new installation.

Assuming that’s what the 02 / 02 means

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I will admit I would have thought it was a manufacturing date. If correct below there is not an expiry date.
It may be worth looking up the standard or contacting the people who did your installation.
Screenshot_20221214-145139.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NorthenMotorhome
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
I will admit I would have thought it was a manufacturing date. If correct below there is not an expiry date.
It may be worth looking up the standard or contacting the people who did your installation.
View attachment 697226
I did think it looked like a manufacture date, even then at best 2012 would be when it was "past its best", I went back to the installers this week on the van not being drained issue, I was told it was "my problem" despite me asking three times to drain it down after the work was done as there was a cold snap coming.

So I don't think going back to them is going achieve much. More annoyingly its where I keep the van in storage. I've got it on the drive at the minute and I'm seriously considering not taking it back. Problem is I'm paid up for 6 months.

I do most my practical work myself, house etc, just decided because of time constraints to have a couple of bits of work done, my experience so far of Motorhome "professionals" has been awful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I might get shot down in flames here.......

I've always thought that any 'fixed' gas piping in a MH, ie to fridge, cooker, heating etc had to be in rigid tubing, copper, steel etc.

When I put my Bullfinch in, I did it in 8mm dia copper tube, tee'd off the metal feed from the bulkhead regulator to the gas manifold.
Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps the Bullfinch point isn't viewed as a fixed installation?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NorthenMotorhome
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
I might get shot down in flames here.......

I've always thought that any 'fixed' gas piping in a MH, ie to fridge, cooker, heating etc had to be in rigid tubing, copper, steel etc.

When I put my Bullfinch in, I did it in 8mm dia copper tube, tee'd off the metal feed from the bulkhead regulator to the gas manifold.
Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps the Bullfinch point isn't viewed as a fixed installation?
I totally agree with you, It should have been done in copper - its a fixed install.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
So I’ve had the van in to have BBQ point added.

Before any one says, I know full well it shouldn’t be installed in a door with rubber hose. I’m fumming about the work that’s been done on it.

More worryingly and I hope I’m wrong. Is that pipe dated February 2002?

Not only this, after testing a few bits they left the van full of water and let it freeze soild.
Please tell me that wasn’t done by a professional company ?
Your Gaslow cylinder also looks like it was modified ? ( handle / collar cut off ? ? )
If it’s been modified it was scrap the day it was fitted ⚠️
Yes that hose manufacture date is 02 / 2002 .
10 year replacement is the recommended, are you saying a professional installer did this ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Think the pipe life is 5 years in Germany? Either way a 20 year old hose doesn't seem right. I suppose they could argue that technically its a 'new' hose, had no gas through it etc. but I think I'd be straight back for a replacement.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The name of the company might also stop others from having a similar experience.
That appears to be a complete cowboy installation.

(Also, in the picture, the sharpness of the bend to the changeover valve, is tighter than I would like, or is that just the angle of the picture?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Your Gaslow cylinder also looks like it was modified ? ( handle / collar cut off ? ? )
10 year replacement is the recommended, are you saying a professional installer did this ?

The visible low pressure hose from the cylinder to the regulator could do with an extra few inches adding to it as well!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NorthenMotorhome
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
Thanks for the reponse.

Long sorry. The gaslow was installed by the dealer, A system that had just come out of another van, on reflection, not my best idea, it seems everything’s there it’s just be of the older style Gaslow tanks. Agree on the shortness of the hoses.

Anyway being fairly sensible, I thought, as the place where I store it also does work on MH’s I’d get it gas safety checked, and as I wanted a BBQ point adding I’d have it all done at once.

I’m fully aware that the gas point should be connected in copper and not in the locker door.

I’m absolutely fumming about it and just trying to gather all the facts before I go back. Like I say this place has also left the van full of water and let it freeze and told me It’s my problem (which it would be if I had just left it like that but they had been working on the water system and it needed water in it)

The drain valves been connected in some scraps of pipe as well.

I already know full well they will be disinterested in sorting it out. They have 6 months upfront storage, and the works paid for. (Again my fault but I hate living life not trusting people, it makes people miserable)

I’m actually pretty upset. It was meant to be a treat to myself to have someone do some Labour on something for me.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Think the pipe life is 5 years in Germany? Either way a 20 year old hose doesn't seem right. I suppose they could argue that technically it’s a 'new' hose, had no gas through it etc. but I think I'd be straight back for a replacement.
if you have an invoice from them i would be asking gas safe to do an inspection any one working with gas for gain has to be gas safe registered
You don’t have to be gas safe registered to work on privately owned leisure vehicles, in fact most Caravan / Motorhome dealers and workshops will only have a limited scope code of practice NCC approved gas qualification if they even have that .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NorthenMotorhome
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6 2010
Exp
I'm New!
Regarding gas safe, I know they aren’t but they had a gas safe engineer into do the checks, I’m waiting for the certificate……

I’m guessing the Gas safe engineer would look at “as installed in front of them” and is it safe. But even then, 20 year old pipe????

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Regarding gas safe, I know they aren’t but they had a gas safe engineer into do the checks, I’m waiting for the certificate……

I’m guessing the Gas safe engineer would look at “as installed in front of them” and is it safe. But even then, 20 year old pipe????
When I come across this as part of DSEAR assessments always recommend regular documented inspections checks and hoses replaced at intervals no greater than 5 years. Provided all has been ok within the 5 years.
At the ending the day the hose material perishes over time.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back