Gas outlet fitting details please gas experts please (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Hi I have ordered a bullfinch bbq external point. Can any experts advise what fittings I need to get to fit it to the regulator a t piece or other ways. I’m hopeless at this stuff if I get the easy way and the proper bits I’ll give it a go. Thanks in advance

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi I have ordered a bullfinch bbq external point. Can any experts advise what fittings I need to get to fit it to the regulator a t piece or other ways. I’m hopeless at this stuff if I get the easy way and the proper bits I’ll give it a go. Thanks in advance
It needs to be piped to a T fitting in an existing low pressure gas supply. As it involves compression fittings and knowledge about how tight to set them if you have no experience take it to someone who has.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi you can purchase gas firings and the pipe from online accessorie shops and there are loads of you tube videos of people fitting these and gas installs on motorhomes yes you can do it yourself as long as you are careful and test each joint for leaks it is feasible to do it yourself as I say just leak test each joint , if you do find a leak tighten the joint and test each one again ,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am a huge DIY fan, I do my own gas in the motorhome too.

Fitting the connector is a doddle if you know what you are doing, however if you have to ask what you need, probably best to pay someone else.

As a minimum you will need elbows, a T piece and isolation tap. Then a way to pressure test the system, minimum order of 10mm pipe is usually 10 metres, then you will need a pipe cutter.

Your call, I just stupidly replaced the wrong sensor on my van. Cost me £120 I didn’t need to spend. The same as what would have cost me to take to Fiat and they would have told me the correct one with less swearing. 😂

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I am a huge DIY fan, I do my own gas in the motorhome too.

Fitting the connector is a doddle if you know what you are doing, however if you have to ask what you need, probably best to pay someone else.

As a minimum you will need elbows, a T piece and isolation tap. Then a way to pressure test the system, minimum order of 10mm pipe is usually 10 metres, then you will need a pipe cutter.

Your call, I just stupidly replaced the wrong sensor on my van. Cost me £120 I didn’t need to spend. The same as what would have cost me to take to Fiat and they would have told me the correct one with less swearing. 😂
10 metres of pipe, are you talking copper or Flexi?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Flexi coil.

I needed about 10cm a few weeks back, thankfully I found some in my plumbing box.

Can you get less than a 10m coil?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I gave in and I’m getting a proper caravan /motorhome engineer to do it. Getting piped up next week I cut the hole needed (my skill level 🤓)
I am a retired professional engineer, I am also having an external Bullfinch outlet fitted, I have no qualms about using compression fittings etc and have fitted many over the years but as the pipe work will be in the habitation area it’s booked in for a professional to do the job later this week he will also do a leak and pressure test supplying a certificate. Peace of mind.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
don't forget to ensure there is a drop out vent below the joints inside the van

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Finger tight, Then one and a quarter turns is usually suggested for compression type fittings

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am a retired professional engineer, I am also having an external Bullfinch outlet fitted, I have no qualms about using compression fittings etc and have fitted many over the years but as the pipe work will be in the habitation area it’s booked in for a professional to do the job later this week he will also do a leak and pressure test supplying a certificate. Peace of mind.
I'm always amazed that anyone would trust someone else to perform a task that, if any mistake is made, could have serious consequences for themselves or their family. Certificates simply shift the blame to someone else if the job fails. Learning how to do an adequate leak test should take all of 15 minutes and acquiring adequate kit cost under £5. Then you understand what's being done on your behalf and can either do it yourself or check it later. Gas engineers like to make it sound complex but their kit is so the job can be completed quickly. Not many years ago they would use what I'm suggesting would cost less than a fiver.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Check the pipe sizes, the bullfinch I bought but haven't fitted yet takes 8mm pipe, my reg plumbing is 10mm.
So if like mine you may need an unequal Tee or a 10>8mm reducer as well. They also do a 10>8mm isolating tap so may use one of those instead

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I'm always amazed that anyone would trust someone else to perform a task that, if any mistake is made, could have serious consequences for themselves or their family. Certificates simply shift the blame to someone else if the job fails. Learning how to do an adequate leak test should take all of 15 minutes and acquiring adequate kit cost under £5. Then you understand what's being done on your behalf and can either do it yourself or check it later. Gas engineers like to make it sound complex but their kit is so the job can be completed quickly. Not many years ago they would use what I'm suggesting would cost less than a fiver.
Job was done last week very pleased with the instal and I am very fussy, 20 minute static pressure test 10 mins of which I witnessed, total cost £138 which I think is very reasonable. It couldn’t be tee’d off a bend which would have been the easiest and preferred method as existing pipe work is steel so was taken off the manifold. He also matched height and distance from fridge vent so balancing it with the ehu socket flap.
With regard to your comment re leak testing I have done this on fridge, Halon, AC and CO2 systems on numerous occasions during my professional career and trained others in the procedures so know the score however being lpg and in the hab area this was my preferred option, each to their own.
9F60580B-E342-463F-8112-2FE2AC20B492.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Job was done last week very pleased with the instal and I am very fussy, 20 minute static pressure test 10 mins of which I witnessed, total cost £138 which I think is very reasonable. It couldn’t be tee’d off a bend which would have been the easiest and preferred method as existing pipe work is steel so was taken off the manifold. He also matched height and distance from fridge vent so balancing it with the ehu socket flap.
With regard to your comment re leak testing I have done this on fridge, Halon, AC and CO2 systems on numerous occasions during my professional career and trained others in the procedures so know the score however being lpg and in the hab area this was my preferred option, each to their own.View attachment 406287
Nice install. Always good behind the fridge with existing gas drop and often a convenient T point. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back