LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting discussion on the Carthago Facebook page.

1st post.
Hi gang! We are just about to board the ferry at Plymouth and just thinking to myself, if I switch the inverter on, would the fridge work off the leisure battery?

A reply.
Would need to be wired to run off mains. But could be 15A an hour.

Then.

Screenshot_20240325_042718_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240325_042916_Facebook.jpg

Thoughts?

We always store little in the fridge, but we do freeze bottles of water to keep the fridge cold..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Against maritime regulations to have an open flame on a car deck. Only an idiot would do it.
I really think ferry operators should be more diligent about vehicles with gas appliances.
Apart from the tunnel Newhaven is the only port I been to that checks.
Anyone who runs there fridge on gas on a ferry should be banned for life from ferries.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Some severe ignorance there.đź‘Žđź‘Žđź‘Ž
Yes absolutely.... But unfortunately others,just as ignorant will read it and think, well he obviously knows what he talking about.... I will leave gas on as well!!🥵🥵

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I bet there's quite a few that don't even realise that they have left the fridge running. After 15 mins many AES fridges will try to fire up the gas even if it's turned off at the bottles. There may not be a naked flame but the spark will keep trying to ignite it anyway which is just as dangerous. How many people actually know how to turn off their moho fridge?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I must confess...

Our USRV did not have 12v option on the fridge, (most USRVs do not ) and ran on gas while travelling .. as it's designed to do .. but I forgot to switch off before boarding a ferry,,

No excuses.. the LPG should have been isolated

On other occasions I've seen a crew member feeling fridge gas vents to no doubt see if they are on gas or not

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Against maritime regulations to have an open flame on a car deck. Only an idiot would do it.
I really think ferry operators should be more diligent about vehicles with gas appliances.
Apart from the tunnel Newhaven is the only port I been to that checks.
Anyone who runs there fridge on gas on a ferry should be banned for life from ferries.
Deck Crew should go around checking 30 mins after loading.

An ear or a hand to a Motorhome, camper, caravan fridge vent is an easy way of telling.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just a thought but I don't ever recall there being a fire on a cross channel ferry car deck.

Partially right. However, Ferries ply all over the World.

May I direct you to a search; MS Norman Atlantic
Nuff said.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thoughts?
Yes Bryan Chalice & Norman Rogers should be shot with a bolt gun
We haven't used a ferry for years, we take the tunnel because of our dogs. This is another reason to avoid a ferry.
& what is the difference on the tunnel? Nothing if the ****s leave it on on a ferry the same they would do on the train & just as dangerous.
& the tunnel & then shot.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We are just about to board the ferry at Plymouth and just thinking to myself, if I switch the inverter on, would the fridge work off the leisure battery?
It certainly could in theory, I always run our fridge from the inverter on a ferry. However most inverters are wired so that the fridge is not powered from the inverter.

The problem is that as you say it takes a lot of power. About 15A, so it would use about 15Ah every hour. That's a bit pessimistic, because it's on a thermostat so would switch off for a lot of the time. Especially if it was already very cold and the door wasn't opened. You could turn the thermostat up so the fridge was keeping a higher temperature, it would take marginally less power.

Before I got the inverter and 600Ah of lithium, I ran the fridge off 12V, from 4 x 100Ah 12V lead-acids, and it just about lasted to Santander.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
what is the difference on the tunnel? Nothing if the ****s leave it on on a ferry the same they would do on the train & just as dangerous.
A fire in the tunnel is less dangerous than on a ferry. Each compartment can be sealed and the fire contained, if that fails there is an escape tunnel next to the main tunnel

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just a thought but I don't ever recall there being a fire on a cross channel ferry car deck.

Now let me see, 🤔 that might just be because application of the existing regulations prevents it! However, a risk remains because of those who think that they know better.

If only ships had gas dropout vents in the bottom of their hulls then we could all leave our gas fridges on.đź‘Ť

Ian

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
A fire in the tunnel is less dangerous than on a ferry. Each compartment can be sealed and the fire contained, if that fails there is an escape tunnel next to the main tunnel
They usually physically check your gas is off when using the tunnel.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
We crossed from UK to Santander 8 weeks ago. The guy on the port of departure said turn off your gas. I said of course. But he didn't believe me. He said, I must see you do it before you get any closer to the ship. I had to show him the closed valve before he would let me move. This was good and responsible.
I have a few further observations on this debate:
Why do people think they need to keep their freezers/fridges on for short crossings? Goods will not spoil for a few hours if you keep appliances closed and off.
For longer crossings, why not travel empty and stock up when you get to France, Spain etc?. Their supermarket choices are superb and cheap. Why not enjoy the local choices from the get-go? There is no need to take UK chilled/frozen foodstuffs with you. You will run out at some point in your holiday and will need to use the local choices.
I do accept that there may be medical reasons for constant refrigeration of goods in some cases. These cases require bespoke solutions. Leaving unsupervised gas appliances running in a dangerous environment is probably not the best option.
I pose these questions for reasons of passenger safety and protection from accidental ignition of explosive emissions on international transit vehicles.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We crossed from UK to Santander 8 weeks ago. The guy on the port of departure said turn off your gas. I said of course. But he didn't believe me. He said, I must see you do it before you get any closer to the ship. I had to show him the closed valve before he would let me move. This was good and responsible.
I have a few further observations on this debate:
Why do people think they need to keep their freezers/fridges on for short crossings? Goods will not spoil for a few hours if you keep appliances closed and off.
For longer crossings, why not travel empty and stock up when you get to France, Spain etc?. Their supermarket choices are superb and cheap. Why not enjoy the local choices from the get-go? There is no need to take UK chilled/frozen foodstuffs with you. You will run out at some point in your holiday and will need to use the local choices.
I do accept that there may be medical reasons for constant refrigeration of goods in some cases. These cases require bespoke solutions. Leaving unsupervised gas appliances running in a dangerous environment is probably not the best option.
I pose these questions for reasons of passenger safety and protection from accidental ignition of explosive emissions on international transit vehicles.
Things don't spoil on long crossings providing fridge was cold before it was switched off.My beer is still cold after 30 hrs on Spanish crossing. BUSBY.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
It certainly could in theory, I always run our fridge from the inverter on a ferry. However most inverters are wired so that the fridge is not powered from the inverter.

The problem is that as you say it takes a lot of power. About 15A, so it would use about 15Ah every hour. That's a bit pessimistic, because it's on a thermostat so would switch off for a lot of the time. Especially if it was already very cold and the door wasn't opened. You could turn the thermostat up so the fridge was keeping a higher temperature, it would take marginally less power.

Before I got the inverter and 600Ah of lithium, I ran the fridge off 12V, from 4 x 100Ah 12V lead-acids, and it just about lasted to Santander.
What's the benefit of running through the inverter if it will run on 12v? Surely it will use the same power, but just incur inverter losses?
We put ours on 12v on ferries on the basis that any power taken from the battery will be replenished from the drive when we get there.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
What's the benefit of running through the inverter if it will run on 12v? Surely it will use the same power, but just incur inverter losses?
We put ours on 12v on ferries on the basis that any power taken from the battery will be replenished from the drive when we get there.
But, does your fridge only run on 12v hab battery when the engine is running?

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Things don't spoil on long crossings providing fridge was cold before it was switched off.My beer is still cold after 30 hrs on Spanish crossing. BUSBY.
Chuck a couple of supermarket ice bags on top of the beers in the bottom of your fridge before you leave, keep the door shut, and you will have complete satisfaction on your arrival no matter how hot it is :cool:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thought it ran on power from alternator when engine is running..not leisure battery. BUSBY
Maybe you are right, but if it is wired to the hab battery that won’t last long running a fridge, unless serious mah.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back