Gas-Low vs Gas-Itt ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
After researching went for an 11kg gas it and kept a 13kg Calor as backup due to scarcity of lpg stations in northern Scotland. Added an automatic changeover valve and kept the crash proof regulator fitted by Pilote. Main reason for choosing gas it was having a registered gas it engineer very close to home. His rate was very reasonable in my opinion.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Well Gas It clearly state that this and other pressure side hoses are built to EN 10380 and should be changed after 20 years.

Just been on the Gaslow website and guess what. The filler kits including the hose don't quote any built to specification, but search for stainless steel hoses alone and they quote EN 10380.

All very confusing. Are there any experts here able to shed some light on this?
If you are having a problem with gaslows statements and believe gasit why not email or ring gaslow and speak to someone, it might help you sleep a bit better. Obviously something is bugging you about the suitability of the stainless hoses.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
If you are having a problem with gaslows statements and believe gasit why not email or ring gaslow and speak to someone, it might help you sleep a bit better. Obviously something is bugging you about the suitability of the stainless hoses.

Quite the contrary, this thread was entitled Gaslow vs GasIt and I'm only interested about why there is such a price difference between red and yellow? I chose red because they are considerably less expensive, have a good reputation and have more extensive applications. Yellow seem to have a good reputation but don't quote EN 10380 on all hoses on their website. Red seem to have picked up on this, see their claim in my previous post.

I don't have any problem with this and nothing could possibly worry me about the stainless hose I chose not to use, but again I ask, are there any experts here who can explain why Gaslow is worth paying considerably more for when GasIt claim that other stainless steel hose are "not certified to any regulation".

It's more a matter of why are people paying a lot more money for what appears to be the same product for camper vans - apart from the colour and cost?

I really don't think that phoning Gaslow or GasIt for that matter would clarify anything. I'm more interested in what the experts think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Quite the contrary, this thread was entitled Gaslow vs GasIt and I'm only interested about why there is such a price difference between red and yellow? I chose red because they are considerably less expensive, have a good reputation and have more extensive applications. Yellow seem to have a good reputation but don't quote EN 10380 on all hoses on their website. Red seem to have picked up on this, see their claim in my previous post.

I don't have any problem with this and nothing could possibly worry me about the stainless hose I chose not to use, but again I ask, are there any experts here who can explain why Gaslow is worth paying considerably more for when GasIt claim that other stainless steel hose are "not certified to any regulation".

It's more a matter of why are people paying a lot more money for what appears to be the same product for camper vans - apart from the colour and cost?

I really don't think that phoning Gaslow or GasIt for that matter would clarify anything. I'm more interested in what the experts think.
Where is this large price difference. Gasit 11kg battle £173.76 Gaslow £179 according to there web sites 2 minutes ago plus the gaslow is the R67 bottle. Stainless hoses pig tails change at 20 years and filler hose change at 15 years. Rubber hoses change at 5 years.
If you google EN 10380 you will find dealers selling gaslow hoses and gaslow with information about the hoses.
Or www.boatsafetyscheme.org that is also mentioning them.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Where is this large price difference. Gasit 11kg battle £173.76 Gaslow £179 according to there web sites 2 minutes ago plus the gaslow is the R67 bottle. Stainless hoses pig tails change at 20 years and filler hose change at 15 years. Rubber hoses change at 5 years.
If you google EN 10380 you will find dealers selling gaslow hoses and gaslow with information about the hoses.
Or www.boatsafetyscheme.org that is also mentioning them.

I compared prices and bought our kit based on price alone. You got the current cost of a Gen 2,11kg refillable bottle bang on sweetie, but price up basic kits from both 'yellow' and 'red'. By basic I mean bottle, filler point, fill hose, step down thread adapter, bayonet fill adapter and all European fill adapters. Maths isn't my best subject, but £100 saving works for me.

Obviously cost will also depends on whether you fit your own kit or payed someone to do it it for you, but even with the added d.i.y. costs for things like the correct sized hole cutter, basic tools, leak detector spray (washing up liquid if you don't want to do a proper job).

Other additions like tank gauges will also affect cost. They range wildly in cost and effectiveness, perhaps already discussed in similar threads?

The fact is a basic 'red' kit beats 'yellow' hands down in terms of cost. However, I'm interested to know if their are any independent experts (and yes I am aware that 'expert' can be defined as an 'ex' being a has been and 'spurt' being a drip under pressure) out there who can definitively compare both systems and explain exactly why one is better than the other in terms of safety, quality of components etc.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi everyone that has re-fillable gas Tanks I heard a nasty rumour yesterday that Shell are removing ALL lpg Tanks pumps etc from there forecourts due to an idiot who managed to blow up the filling station somewhere up Country. Which will be a major problem down in Sunny Cornwall because as far as I know they are the main supplier along the A30 corridor.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
You won't go wrong with either make

Search on here and you won't find any where a gasit, gaslow or even Alugas has failed. And if they do have a problem they all quickly resolve it. They just work.

I went for gasit as they were a bit cheaper and had a great deal on the 11kg Plus bottles at the time. I think it was £169 at the time. I fitted our whole setup for £220 And the support before and after purchase was good, I emailed the tech guy quite a bit and always came back with all the info I wanted and more.

Next time I'd go Gasit Plus(if still avail), Gaslow, or Alugas to save weight.

The Gasit gen2 is just the old bottle with a removable collar so they told me. Good but think Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
You won't go wrong with either make

Search on here and you won't find any where a gasit, gaslow or even Alugas has failed. And if they do have a problem they all quickly resolve it. They just work.

I went for gasit as they were a bit cheaper and had a great deal on the 11kg Plus bottles at the time. I think it was £169 at the time. I fitted our whole setup for £220 And the support before and after purchase was good, I emailed the tech guy quite a bit and always came back with all the info I wanted and more.

Next time I'd go Gasit Plus(if still avail), Gaslow, or Alugas to save weight.

The Gasit gen2 is just the old bottle with a removable collar so they told me. Good but think Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison.

Not quite sure what your point is here. You say that Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison, yet next time you intend to go for the Gasit Plus (if still available), Gaslow or Alugas to save weight? If Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison, why not use them specifically next time?

Had any competitor had a failure, I doubt any search would be necessary.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi everyone that has re-fillable gas Tanks I heard a nasty rumour yesterday that Shell are removing ALL lpg Tanks pumps etc from there forecourts due to an idiot who managed to blow up the filling station somewhere up Country. Which will be a major problem down in Sunny Cornwall because as far as I know they are the main supplier along the A30 corridor.

News feeds anyone ?

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Not quite sure what your point is here. You say that Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison, yet next time you intend to go for the Gasit Plus (if still available), Gaslow or Alugas to save weight? If Gaslow has the edge in a direct comparison, why not use them specifically next time?

Had any competitor had a failure, I doubt any search would be necessary.

I meant the standard gasit vs gaslow, the gaslow has some extra safety features amd and a better gauge.

Gasit plus vs gaslow there is nowt in it but the Gasit was cheaper at the time.

Hence if buying again it would be, gasit plus, gaslow or alugas as I posted.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I meant the standard gasit vs gaslow, the gaslow has some extra safety features amd and a better gauge.

Gasit plus vs gaslow there is nowt in it but the Gasit was cheaper at the time.

Hence if buying again it would be, gasit plus, gaslow or alugas as I posted.

Wow, that's quite a bizarre concept. What extra safety features do Gaslow have that other brands don't? What is it about their gauge that makes it better than the Gasit gauge? Bearing in mind my previous observations about gauges? Are you saying that any brand will do as long as it's the cheapest? Very confused now.

This is exactly why I'm looking for independent expertise regarding quality vs economy? Is this a difficult concept?

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Try doing some of your own research instead of trying to knitpick and deliberately misunderstand on a thread where people are trying to help other whicj you didn't even start. The info is there but you don't seem to grasp it without it being explained in the minutest detail

I did a lot of own research before I bought ours and had numerous discussions with Nick at Gasit, and Autogas about the Gaslow and Alugas bottles. Nick explained some of the plus bottle features over their std bottles. Liquid phase seperator, Rupture protection, etc, can't recall them all. The gaslow and Alugas have many of the same features

The gasit plus, gaslow and alugas have more accurate mechanical gauges than the std gasit.

Its simple, the gasit std is good but for a bit more you can have extra safety features and a better gauge. And for a bit more again a lighter bottle. Only you can decide what you want to spend and what features you want.. Is that a diffucult concept?

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I have posted before on the subject of some garages/supermarkets here in France insisting on seeing the gas 'cylinders' before switching - on the LPG Pump, despite the van having an external filler.

Gas -It are 'red', Gaslow and Borel (French manufacturer) are 'yellow' ie R67.

Worth keeping in mind when making your decision if you spend a lot of time in France. I know Gas - It says 'R67' makes no difference to a M/home installation for various reasons, but here 'yellow' is definitely the way to go. I'm sure the Forecourt staff, where the rule applies, are told 'if it's yellow it's OK'.

Robert

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
There is a difference between nitpicking and trying to decipher contradictory statements Nixdorfer.

I've shared some of my research and own experience of the subject here in order to try and help others without getting personal.

It looks like you actually do have some good information to share, but as for me deliberately misunderstanding, no I get it Nixdorfer, you are quite rude.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
As stated if you are purely comparing the various cylinders on price alone they all hold lpg ?
Start looking at the warranty period and additional features like excess flow valve and a more accurate mechanical contents gauge and the picture starts to look different ??
On cylinder price alone at RRP standard Gasit cylinders are a few pounds cheaper.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I fitted Gasit on our last van due to price, really couldn’t see any significant advantage for the extra cost of Gaslow and for the extra cost didn’t feel stainless steel hoses were worth it!
Decided on Alugas for new van, fitted a single 14kg yesterday for the significant weight saving, my set up weighs less than a 6kg Calor! Kit all matches previous quality or better and Chris at Autogas a great source of help and info.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
As stated if you are purely comparing the various cylinders on price alone they all hold lpg ?
Start looking at the warranty period and additional features like excess flow valve and a more accurate mechanical contents gauge and the picture starts to look different ??
On cylinder price alone at RRP standard Gasit cylinders are a few pounds cheaper.

If you are referring to my post (not sure cos you didn't quote), I haven't been "comparing the various cylinders on price alone". If I've misled you about that please explain how. I was asking for details about things you briefly mention like "warranty period", "excess flow valve" etc. in order to inform and help people to decide which system is right for them (not just the cost), but you don't elaborate a different picture?

On cylinder price alone I think it's been mentioned repeatedly here that red is marginally cheaper than yellow? I've stated that my particular set up in terms of red vs yellow as per the misspelt title of the thread cost approximately £100 less than yellow when the other basic components required are concerned.

Does yellow counter this saving in some way in terms of safety, quality or whatever the neighbours think?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I gave up:cry:

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006

You may have missed previous 'banter' regarding red vs yellow and after reading your post again I apologise if I was a little hasty in questioning your motives.

Red vs Yellow will always be a contentious issue, especially when some people think the cost of their bottle(s) is the be all and end all. Fact is, most ancillary components from both camps are interchangeable and I'm sure quite similar in terms of quality.

As previously mentioned my basic red setup cost about £100 less than the equivalent yellow setup. Again I'll say - I'm only interested in how or why extra expense is justified - be it red or yellow.

You mentioned warranty period and excess flow valve, which colour has the longest warranty and what exactly is an excess flow valve (red or yellow?). I am aware that mine has an emergency shut off valve should anything on the pressure side fail, does this also apply in the yellow camp?

Indoctrinated subscribers need not reply ?

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
...what exactly is an excess flow valve (red or yellow?). I am aware that mine has an emergency shut off valve should anything on the pressure side fail, does this also apply in the yellow camp?
Truma rupture protection hoses and Duo Control regulator??
Think I’ll paint my cylinders orange ?

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Forgive me for not being back to check this thread for a little while, I’ve been a bit busy and my mind was elsewhere. Thank you so much for your replies, it’s helped me understand a great deal more. One last question though, although I’ve seen LPG filling stations before, I’ve only actually searched for where the stations are once, so I’ve no experience of what’s happening over time. Is it likely that LPG will be around for the foreseeable future ?

Paul

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
calor are pulling the plug on all shell garage then BP will follow,so soon autogas will be very hard to get
That’s come from a guy well up in Calor

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Some stations are taking pumps out but there should always be somewhere to get it. Even if it means driving a bit further or going to a gas supplier rather than a petrol station. Some cars still use it so can't just dissappear overnight

Remember the big advantage of our refillables is we can just top up when we see it and not have to wait till empty.

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
I worried about availability after fitting the tanks a year ago, but practical experience has allayed my fears. Whilst the number of new cars running on Autogas will fall off over time, the number of motorhomes using it is increasing; whether we will replace the cars consumption may be doubtful, but as the oil majors pull out of the supply chain, those smaller independents still left selling Autogas will have a larger slice of the cake. I would imagine gas will still be easily found, as we'll all go to the independent garages that are left, who will have a nice little niche earner. Locally, our Asda has Autogas 10p a litre cheaper than the local Shell station, so why would I buy from Shell? When Shell pull the plug, Asda will sell even more and be able to increase the price!
My experience in Germany was that none of the oil majors (Shell, Aral (BP), Jet) sell Autogas, but there is still plenty available at independents, including sometimes at standalone gas vending pumps, which sometimes are on garage or engineering companies forecourts; where a card pay pump is sited at the end of a rather large gas tank to fill up at.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back