Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi All,

Looking at putting in a 11kg and 6kg Gasit System,

I don't really want to go drilling into skirt of MH, is there any reason external filler couldn't be attached to the Gas Locker Door?

Thanks a mill.

Gordon

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
All the flexing, when you open & close the door is frowned upon. I put mine on a bracket inside the cabinet. Some say that there are garages that won't let you fill with that arrangement, though. I never found one.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
As above,
Fitter did not think drilling through the locker door was a good idea and in retrospect I probably agree.
Not had any trouble filling with lpg (although haven't been abroad with it yet.

Graydo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi and welcome to the fun house! :welcome4:

Can you tell me what MH you have and ideally an image of it so we can see where's suitable. I fitted a small filler in the side of my Carthago recently, much easier to find a spot for than the larger Gaslow fillers:

gas filler - close up.jpg
gas filler.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mines in the skirt as well, has been on all the vans we have had. I wouldn't want to cut a hole in the bodywork unless absolutely necessary certainly wouldn't fit in a locker door.

IMG_20171011_133051.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
Wasn't able to fit mine in the skirt so it was fitted by a very reputable fitter in the gas locker door. Perfectly OK so long as there's space to accommodate the hose without stressing it. Also means all the hoses are inside the locker out of harms way.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wasn't able to fit mine in the skirt so it was fitted by a very reputable fitter in the gas locker door. Perfectly OK so long as there's space to accommodate the hose without stressing it. Also means all the hoses are inside the locker out of harms way.
Its not 'stressing' the hose that's the issue, but the joint becoming loose due to the movement of the door being opened/closed. I believe one of the companies used to offer a specific fitting for putting it through a door but don't do it now.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel, I thought it was a new van, it looks filthy.
Cheeky s*d! :laughing: That was taken a few days later - we'd been out in it and when we got home I remembered to take the photos for you lot! So ... :moon2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
That makes alot of sence. I was leaning towards putting it into the locker, I have a Mileo 231 Benimar... Will take another look at the body work and see if I can find a nice spot for it... Thanks everyone. Super responses.... :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I assume it's something like this with the gas locker at the rear? The obvious place is to take the hose down through the bottom of the gas locker drop vent and into the side skirt next to it, it keeps the run short and should be easy to do, this is exactly what I did on our MH.

1574272090066.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thats the one..... :) I like your logic.... I think that definitely a better option than the Gas Door...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thats the one..... :) I like your logic.... I think that definitely a better option than the Gas Door...
Having fitted our refillable gas system a few times now to different MHs/campers I've found that this is by far the easiest way to fit the filler ... it's taken me longer to compose the below than it would to do it for you! :laughing:
  1. Work out where the filler will go so that the back of it doesn't foul on anything - you can get straight and 90 degree angle ones so work out which is best for you.
  2. Put some masking tape on the skirt where you intend to place the filler and using the back part of the plastic filler housing as a template mark the location of the large hole and 4 bolt holes (check, check and double check both front and rear of the skirt for brackets etc).
  3. Mark the centre of the large hole and using a bradawl make a small indentation on it to make sure you drill bit/hole saw doesn't 'skid' off when you first start drilling; do the same for the 4 small bolt locations too.
  4. Using the correct size hole saw carefully cut out the large hole then the smaller bolt holes with a suitable sized drill bit.
  5. Put the fill hose in the locker and feed it down through the drop vent.
  6. Hold the back of the plastic filler housing and place a nut in each of the 4 retaining 'holes' and put some tape over each one to keep them in place (otherwise you'll end up searching for them under the MH as they push/drop out quite easily!).
  7. Put the back of the plastic filler housing over the hose (with the nuts facing the rear), don't forget to do this otherwise you'll end up having to undo some of your work!
  8. Push the hose through the filler hole and put the front of the plastic filler housing over the hose (the 'skirt' is in effect the 'cheese' in the plastic housing sandwich!) - take care NOT to break the cover part off ... it's not difficult to do so (don't ask!).
  9. Pull the hose through sufficiently so that you can attach the metal filler point securely.
  10. Place the front part of the plastic housing over the square rear of the filler (making sure you have the cover flap in the position you want it, usually on the side with the hinge part facing the front of the MH) then feed the pipe carefully back through the hole until the filler/housing sits flush with the skirt.
  11. Poke the bradawl through one of the top bolt holes and line it up with the appropriate hole in the skirt and then the rear part of the housing (with the nuts in, careful not to push them out) - this is easier than trying to do it with a bolt.
  12. Leave the bradawl in place and put a bolt in the other top bolt hole, line up with the rear housing and carefully tighten it sufficiently so it holds in place but not so tight that you can't move the housing itself.
  13. Now put in the bottom bolt diagonally away from this one, then the other bottom one, and finally remove the bradawl and put that one in.
  14. Gradually tighten the bolts up a bit at a time, going round them so you don't distort the housing/it stays straight.
  15. Close the flap over the filler so it keeps dirt etc out.
You can now go and play with the other end of the hose in the locker! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ah Wow Mel.... Thats brillant... thank you for that..... I will give it a shot and let you know how much destruction I do... :)

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Mine is in the metallic skirt, which is much stronger than the bodywork. Some of the LPG nozzles can be a fair weight. For your info, I witnessed a van turned away at a Repsol garage in Spain a few years ago.........because he had the filler in the door!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ah Wow Mel.... Thats brillant... thank you for that..... I will give it a shot and let you know how much destruction I do... :)
You're very welcome. Below is where I put it on our last Globecar PVC, you can see the filler hose on the left (the green snake!) which came out of the bottom of the bumper then up through the gas locker drop vent which was located behind the aluminium protection plate (there was a 8cm or so gap between them so sufficient to get the hose in). The 'green snake' is actually a piece of large bore hose pipe that I cut down lengthways and then cable tied over the filler hose to give it some protection.

There's a bit more info on my Globecar website that I've left running, even though I haven't' got it now, as it's useful for some to read it.

1574368763596.png

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
The skirt on ours curves in and out, and wasn't sure about taking the strain from the filler hose. To fit it there would also involve making a shaped packer. Didnt fancy drilling holes and couldn't put it near the locker door as the ehu point is there.

Made a custom bracket for ours, shaped then painted white and fitted in top corner of the locker when you open the door. Looks good. Will post a pic when get chance

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Mel I think Im just going to get a ferry and get you to do mine. :)
Nix... that would be great to see it....

I have to admit Im still 50/50 on whether to put it internally in the gas box. is it definitely as big an issue with Petrol Stations not allowing you to fill the tanks... if its a rare occasion then i might chance internal...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A ferry? Where are you?

I prefer to keep the filler outside the gas locker if possible and it was quite important to do this when we had campers as we had to open the rear door(s) then the gas locker door to attach the filler. Apart from this being far from ideal if it was cold, windy and/or raining as this could get into the camper, there was also the fact that there was always some gas leakage as the filler was removed (just what was left in the nozzle and can't be avoided) which permeated the camper and it took ages to get shot of the pong. Also some fillers have a large 'saucer' type protector round them to prevent you getting hit with any escaping gas and this prevented us filling on a couple of occasions when we did have the filler in the locker.

We've had at least a couple of refusals when wanted gas when the fill point was in the locker and sometimes were asked if it was for driving which was difficult to blag when the filler was inside! With our new MH we don't have the issue of having to open the rear doors but I still put the filler externally as it means less future hassle as it looks like it could be used for propulsion.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
That makes alot of sence. I was leaning towards putting it into the locker, I have a Mileo 231 Benimar... Will take another look at the body work and see if I can find a nice spot for it... Thanks everyone. Super responses.... :)
I have a Benimar and it fits perfectly on the skirt. I did originally fit it in the gas locker, but the wide safety collar round the pump nozzle made it difficult to fit on. I only fitted an 11kg bottle. As its refillable I don't see the point of having a second bottle. I have a bluetooth gas sensor on it which is accurate to a few % so I always know exactly how much gas is left.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I fitted the filler in the skirt on our Benimar and our current Roller team, Autogas 2000 do a flat bracket that I bent to 90 degrees and bolted and glued it to the floor.
IMG_20191121_223739.jpg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can actually buy an angled bracket which is meant to be put in a locker, that's what we had when we bought our system originally but I suspect your's will be a lot cheaper!

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have a benimar and have fitted ours next to the locker door, the connections go straight through into the locker. If you are on FB look at the benimar adaptions page. Some different photos from different folk on there.

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
IMAG1130.jpg
IMAG1128.jpg

This is what I did with ours. Made it out of some steel plate.

Its not been filled with LPG yet so only concern is if the pumps with the shield others have mentioned will fit... Hope so. If not back to drawing board.

Also got some tank support brackets to fit as don't trust those weedy ones

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine is on a bracket between the cylinders. The cylinders are on a steel carriage that (originally) allowed the cylinders to pull out for easy changing. The carriage is now locked in place & the filler is on a bracket fastened to it. I've not had any issues filling.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the images... Some very clever adaptions... I especially like yours Nixdorfer....
Maybe you should consider a patent on that one... :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Mel.... It on order..... :)

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks for all the images... Some very clever adaptions... I especially like yours Nixdorfer....
Maybe you should consider a patent on that one... :)
That's about where I had my filler originally, but it the plastic safety ring on the filler nozzle made it very difficult to connect up. Hence I put the filler on the skirt underneath.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours was fitted by dave newell lvs. He was very clever in choosing where the filler went. Putting it at the corner of the gas locker avoided all the aforementioned problems and meant no bending to fiddle with skirts (I'm too old for that sort of thing! ?), direct access into the locker, no movement on opening the locker, no risk of refusal. Very pleased with it.

2018-02-05 16.34.31.jpg

Wyn

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
They should bring out a white cover for the detachable fillers like those.

Suppose could paint it but they are hard rubber/plastic aren't they so wouldn't take well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back