gas bottle regulator/connector.

paul lofts

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 155 envy 2016
Hello and thanks for letting me in, we have just bought a 2016 elddis 155 envy on a peugeot boxer and very pleased with it. the previous owner said he would be keeping the gas bottles and regulator, which he allowed for in the price deduction. looking into the gas compartment there is a regulator (whale) mounted on the bulkhead with a high pressure hose on the inlet side. this hose fits my 4.5kg calor butane bottles from my gas barbecue. is it safe to use that? as i think you only need 1 regulator and he might be getting regulators and 6kg bottle connectors mixed up. will attach pics. first picture shows inlet hose to whale (regulator) ? and the second the 4.5kg bottles i have which fit that hose, thanks in anticipation paul

Attachments

• 20221009_153421.jpg
    20221009_153421.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221009_153739.jpg
    20221009_153739.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 56
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Perfectly safe as far as I can see.

Looks like a 30 mbar regulator, so should be fine.

I think he may have meant the switchover / gauges or a more expensive regulator setup. He has probably removed that and made a basic setup.

If you intend to use your motorhome in winter, you will need to switch to propane or refillable cylinders

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Is there an external filling point? If not, then perhaps consider getting a refillable system installed, it will prove invaluable if you intend touring in mainland Europe and there are still plenty of places to fill in the UK, despite "some reports' ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul lofts

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 155 envy 2016
Perfectly safe as far as I can see.

What mbar is the regulator?.

If you intend to use your motorhome in winter, you will need to switch to propane or refillable cylinders
hi yes thankyou,its a whale 30mbar regulator. i only want to use one cylinder just to try it out and will purchase 2x 6kg with the correct connector as soon as. got bloody covid so cant get out at moment, electrical lead for external power coming today so just wanted to try everything out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul lofts

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 155 envy 2016
Is there an external filling point? If not, then perhaps consider getting a refillable system installed, it will prove invaluable if you intend touring in mainland Europe and there are still plenty of places to fill in the UK, despite "some reports' ...
thank you will look into that for the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
thank you will look into that for the future.
The sooner you do it the better. Each time you exchange a bottle it only adds to cost, whereas if you did it asap it deducts from the cost ! You might want to consider an underslung tank, that way it frees up an external locker aswell? Buying two new cylinders now is just money wasted if you intend fitting refillable, see if you have a cylinder (BBQ/gas heater) you can use without buying (putting deposit) one?

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think past owner is getting mixed up with the "clip on adapter" that connects to the butane bottle.
The regulator (bulk head) is already there and your pigtail, so all you need is the bottle and the clip on.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul lofts

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 155 envy 2016
Thank you tonka, i guessed he might have been confused on that one, i have managed to source some calor lite propane 6kg bottles and will get the clip on adaptor as well when negative. will just use the 4.5kg to test everything for now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul lofts

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 155 envy 2016
Thanks to everyone for the help and information. will be getting the necessary bottles and adaptor now.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The 'clip on' adaptor that Tonka has shown screws onto the end of your hose and then connects to a 6kgs Butane bottle.
However, butane is not much good in the UK from about now to March because it does not vaporise from it liquid state when it is cold.
The default gas to use is Propane because it vaporises right down below freezing so ideal for Winter use.
The Propane bottles use a different pipe (that is called a pigtail) and it has a left hand thread male connector that screws direct into the Propane bottle.
If you are going to use the van over Winter I would not go down the Butane route (it's OK for just now) but fit a Propane pigtail and put in a Propane system.
If this causes confusion, come back and ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question when starting out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
paul lofts

You've used up your 5 free posts.
You've been given the best advice (no light under my bushel)
Put your hand in your pocket and spend the best £20 you could ever spend and join the Fun as a Full Member to continue having a never ending stream of help.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back