Garmin GPS any ideas om here? (1 Viewer)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Good morning all and to start off todays discussion does anyone know a firm or person who can sort out a Garmin LM660 D? I went to upload the latest maps and lo and behold the screen froze after 5.3% upgrade. Done all the tricks on the Garmin website and nothing! Spoke with customer services and their Tech Expert and their reply? Its obsolete! ( Its 4 years old!) we can give you a discount on a new one! Have you seen the price of a new one! The screen switches on and reads Software update then goes to the Garmin logo then goes bright, dim, off and reverts to Software update and repeat. I know there are apps for phones and tablets that do the same job but we did rather like the Garmin, any ideas who to turn to for a repair if it can be done?
No comments please about cheap sat navs or my Tom Tom, Xgody etc never goes wrong I just want to know if it is repairable Thanks

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Done all that and nothing done the whole factory thing as per website I have a feeling that something has corrupted the software on the download hence the problems

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Are you plugging it into a PC with the Garmin application onto do the update or using it wirelessly?

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Had a similar issue with my old 770, ended up being a fault with Garmin Express even though Garmin never admitted it. There were loads of issues reported on the Garmin Forums, the common denominator was that everyone had run the Garmin Express update before attempting the device updates. Strangely Garmin released a new version of Express a few days later. I managed to update my device by removing the new Express version and installing an old version but that is a real pain to do as Garmin do not write a very clean uninstaller and I spent several hours going through the registry to trace and remove references to the new version and find all the updated OS files.
I am guessing you are not getting any error messages re insufficient space? My old Nuvi had issues with map updates due to space issues (old maps weren't being deleted) so had to resort to deleting maps manually before running updates.

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Died completely now guess it is to coin a phrase Buggered

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Died completely now guess it is to coin a phrase Buggered
We had one that did just that, bought second hand.
we could just see a faint screen so it was on but would not brighten enough, tried several resetting instructions which did seem to reset but not the screen brightness.
this was after a map update but wireless, never again.
we ended up getting a discounted replacement from garmin.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
If I was cynical I would say Garmin trashing your Sat Nav in order that you are put into a position where you have to buy a replacement sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back