Garage question (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We've had our Fiat Hymer in local commercial garage for last two weeks for a new clutch. It goes to this garage for normal servicing and they usually give good service. This time I'm not sure, they have done the clutch but said they had a engine service light come on when they road tested it. So they thought it was an electrical fault so had an auto electrician trying to find the fault, which they said was down to them and they would foot the bill for.

Now they say it's something else, wife took the call so no idea what they said, but it apparently needs a part replacing and they are billing me for this. The service light wasn't on when it went in and we weren't having any problems apart from a sticking clutch. So I'm not sure how to broach this with them re payment for the service light problem.

Do I argue that it's down to them ? my thought is offer to pay for the new part but not pay the labour charge (but obviously pay the clutch bill).

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As it was your wife that took the call I think you should ring them and just ask them to clarify. Nothing against her,but you need it from the horses mouth.
Its not uncommon for garages to find things that need sorting out whilst working on something else.
Sounds like you trust them,so if you really do,make a phone call......and then pay up.

MarkDa

Free Member
Sep 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
How did this turn out?
They said investigation would be free as down to them - of I knew the garage and would use them again I'd be inclined to pay for the part but expect them to fit it.
I guess that 'engine service' light covers a multitude of sins and tha diagnostic check would have been my preferred option rather than getting auto electrician in unless they cut cables while doing clutch.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've had our Fiat Hymer in local commercial garage for last two weeks for a new clutch. It goes to this garage for normal servicing and they usually give good service. This time I'm not sure, they have done the clutch but said they had a engine service light come on when they road tested it. So they thought it was an electrical fault so had an auto electrician trying to find the fault, which they said was down to them and they would foot the bill for.

Now they say it's something else, wife took the call so no idea what they said, but it apparently needs a part replacing and they are billing me for this. The service light wasn't on when it went in and we weren't having any problems apart from a sticking clutch. So I'm not sure how to broach this with them re payment for the service light problem.

Do I argue that it's down to them ? my thought is offer to pay for the new part but not pay the labour charge (but obviously pay the clutch bill).

A lot may depend on what the new part is. It may be obvious if that part is likely to be damaged by a clutch replacement, or is a frequently worn out service part that they've just picked up on before the next service.

MarkDa

Free Member
Sep 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
We're all guessing because the OP didn't close out the thread - which is always a bit disappointing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We're all guessing because the OP didn't close out the thread - which is always a bit disappointing.
The question was only asked at 2.30 this afternoon, maybe he really is a busy builder?

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
LOL

This was weeks ago, I didn't realise threads had to be closed. We paid the bill, and the van runs better now than it's ever done in the 3 years we've owned it so very happy. Cost me £1500 all in, not sure if thats expensive but we had full clutch replacement with Fiat parts. No idea if thats good or bad, but the end results says enough. The extra part was something to do with winter starting or running as it was designed for continental seasons ? they did say what it was but can't remember, they also said it's not needed here, but they couldn't delete it.

Now.....how do I close a thread ??

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
LOL

This was weeks ago, I didn't realise threads had to be closed. We paid the bill, and the van runs better now than it's ever done in the 3 years we've owned it so very happy. Cost me £1500 all in, not sure if thats expensive but we had full clutch replacement with Fiat parts. No idea if thats good or bad, but the end results says enough. The extra part was something to do with winter starting or running as it was designed for continental seasons ? they did say what it was but can't remember, they also said it's not needed here, but they couldn't delete it.

You don't. Someone might reply in 10 years times not noticing the dates. It happens all the time!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL

Bloody hell ! I had a recon gearbox and new clutch fitted for £900 ... I was quoted ££520 for a replacement clutch the year before by Fiat Professional

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bloody hell ! I had a recon gearbox and new clutch fitted for £900 ... I was quoted ££520 for a replacement clutch the year before by Fiat Professional
It's an A Class so that can add a few hundred to the bill & had genuine Fiat parts fitted so more money.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This was weeks ago, I didn't realise threads had to be closed.
You can't close a thread only Jim can do that but it is nice if you come back and tell the readers the final result.
Nothing worse than a thread where members offer loads of help & the OP never comes back and tells the outcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back