Full timing in Europe post brexit (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Which bit ?
Well ,all of it ?
I live in spain yet have only one passport ? If I applied for nationality & got it then I'd have a spanish one as well ,as the UK doesn't reclaim the other. Also with the spanish one I'd also have another "spanish" name.
I think they have an open invitation for Russians as well if they can pay for it
By a hhouse here for 500k gets you residency .
EU report on it last week stating, obvious to anyone with half a brain, that it encouraged undesirables & other riff-raff who you wouldn't allow in if they applied in a normal fashion.

Reactions: DBK

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If everyone just had a passport where they lived or a time limited visa if living in another country but wanted to keep another passport it would be a lot more simple.or really people who live in a country but hold another country passport are really just cuckoos and reality residents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
or really people who live in a country but hold another country passport are really just cuckoos and reality residents.
True but in many cases under EU regulations you cannot apply for nationality . They spent years fobbing people off who wanted it as "not necessary" . Even here you had to be here 10 years before you could even apply.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
True but in many cases under EU regulations you cannot apply for nationality . They spent years fobbing people off who wanted it as "not necessary" . Even here you had to be here 10 years before you could even apply.
It’s to late now the barn door is open never to be shut again, it should of been done in the first place.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you get French residency and happen o need a builder/landscape gardner. I may have a proposition for you.
I know this thread has not been giving the answers that @Pyke13 wanted but it should be noted that other countries laws are very different to the UK, the suggestion above is very unfair to newby ex pats like @klaatu wanting to make a home in France, because it is illegal to pay cash for work without proof that it is a registered business doing the work. It is the householder who will be in trouble possibly much later. The Banks even supply special cheque books for paying casual labour. You give a cheque for say €50 the bank pays the worker €50 but deducts that plus the tax from your account. That's not to say that it does not go on, because it does, all the time but those doing the hiring should be awair of the possible consequences. In some cases it has even stopped the sale of a house because black labour was used in the construction or renovation. I wish you well @Pyke13 but unless you can prove that you are of the culture suggested by your name, I think you will struggle.
Steve

Wysh

Free Member
Nov 17, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one. Yet.
Exp
On and off 30 years.
I don't know the answers I'm afraid.

However I live in Guernsey and although we are technically out of the EU we are called something like 'associate members' due to our status as a British Crown Dependency.

Will VAT and TVA (or equivalent tax in other countries) still be equally recognised Europe wide?

I ask this because several channel islanders have been caught by raids on various garage morts, French friends driveways, sheds etc. and received hefty fines and told to leave because they do not have VAT/TVA documentation.

Once out of the EU will British VAT still be accepted as equivalent to TVA? If not there could be problems ahead.

Wysh

Free Member
Nov 17, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one. Yet.
Exp
On and off 30 years.
I don't know the answers I'm afraid.

However I live in Guernsey and although we are technically out of the EU we are called something like 'associate members' due to our status as a British Crown Dependency.

Will VAT and TVA (or equivalent tax in other countries) still be equally recognised Europe wide?

I ask this because several channel islanders have been caught by raids on various garage morts, French friends driveways, sheds etc. and received hefty fines and told to leave because they do not have VAT/TVA documentation.

Once out of the EU will British VAT still be accepted as equivalent to TVA? If not there could be problems ahead.

Sorry, should have pointed out that these peeps had motorhomes stored in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry, should have pointed out that these peeps had motorhomes stored in France.
I think that answers the question. A vehicle visiting the EU should be fine if it is legal in the country it came from - a Russian vehicle driving into the EU doesn't have to pay VAT if it is only visiting*. But the cases you mention suggest these vehicles were being kept in France so I guess they need to comply as if the owner was resident in France.

*There may be a triptyque involved to cover the event of the vehicle being sold but I'm trying to keep things simple. :)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Somehow I dont think you will pass the attitude test on your first encounter .
If you can afford to lose the lot , and get deported go for it .[/QUOTE]

I suspect that EU countries won't be going in for vehicle confiscation and deportation. That's where Pyke13 wants to travel.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Completely depends on your circumstances. If you're impoverished, without property, income , forced to leave your own country you are entitled to very little in France unless you're a French citizen, EU member or aFrench tax payer.
I found when I worked first of all in Eastern Europe (1990s) and then Africa ( 2003-4) there was a huge myth of " Britain provides" I had African women, qualified teachers, begging to work for me in a care home for £2 an hour. When I pointed out this was illegal for them and me I was looked at as if I was mad. To them the streets of Britain really were paved with gold. In Eastern Europe I was told it was easy living in Britain because everyone got given a mobile phone and a car. I was more or less called a liar when I stated this was untrue.
If you've retired ( or got a good trade and are willing to work hard) and a bit of money in reserve, then moving abroad can be wonderful---- less stressful, warmer, interesting, better food. If my partner hadn't died I'd still be living on a mountain in the Pyrenees.... but France got too tough on my own and now I have a chronic illness my head knows I'm better off in the UK but my heart wishes I was still on that French mountain.

Then go to Germany. If you're from 'certain countries' you'll be given a place to live, food, pocket money, medical care, preferential treatment under the law, and are extremely unlikely to ever be deported, no matter what you do. The Scandinavian countries are even better, though Denmark has dropped a peg or two.

P.S. This applies not only if you're forced to leave but if you choose to.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Somehow I dont think you will pass the attitude test on your first encounter .
If you can afford to lose the lot , and get deported go for it .

I suspect that EU countries won't be going in for vehicle confiscation and deportation. That's where Pyke13 wants to travel.[/QUOTE]
I was giving and overall view , and the remark re attitude test is relevant to a greater or lesser degree of sanction in pretty well any jurisdiction when dealing with officialdom . Germany is in Schengen
so is somewhat not in control of what the EU decides to do with those transgressing . re entry at a later date is also under their(EU) control . I have been visiting Germany (part German myself) since 1963 , and its certainly changing in other than expected ways , whether that is going to be a positive is very debatable at this time ,
IMHO.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
".......................and its certainly changing in other than expected ways, whether that is going to be a positive is very debatable at this time." (tacr2man)

I would say, tacr2man, the debate - if there ever was one - is over and the verdict in.

IMHO

(We live in Germany.)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If the EU police this correctly then would I be right in saying that any full timing in the EU, Post-Brexit, would be dead in the water. The only exceptions would be the 'golden ticket' rule whereby you pay €500K for residency via a property portfolio investment (Spain and Cyprus etc).

(As an example): This is the most recent link from the Spanish Govt as disseminated by the FCO today:

http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/index.aspx

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
".......................and its certainly changing in other than expected ways, whether that is going to be a positive is very debatable at this time." (tacr2man)

I would say, tacr2man, the debate - if there ever was one - is over and the verdict in.

IMHO

(We live in Germany.)
:cry:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Just wondering about reciprocal arrangements, there must be tens of EU residents who want to full time in UK after Brexit, mustn't there?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
If the EU police this correctly then would I be right in saying that any full timing in the EU, Post-Brexit, would be dead in the water. The only exceptions would be the 'golden ticket' rule whereby you pay €500K for residency via a property portfolio investment (Spain and Cyprus etc).

(As an example): This is the most recent link from the Spanish Govt as disseminated by the FCO today:

http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/index.aspx

Need to keep an on the visa scheme. Hopefully there will an extended visa that we can apply for-to take us over the 90 day rule.

May be able to claim vat back onanything we buy as we leave.
Subject obviously to uks custom rules about value of goods we back in to the uk

And need tobe aware of what we can take into Eu. Amount of fags boozze etc.maybe types of food as well.

Still all to be agreed though so all issues to keep an eye on.
What a pain.

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Eventually
Exp
they know your there as your passport is swiped either in uk or there and everyone knows when you went over or didnt come back. but try it if you must . vehicles need rules etc etc .
dont expect support though if you get caught . but i,m sure many will give it a go.

Just a random thought but you could go from Northern Ireland to Ireland, and then get a ferry to France. As you are traveling from an EU country there should be no border checks in France.

I should add that this random thought is not a well thought out random thought.....

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
In answer to your original question ... as things stand, no, it will not be possible legally but, over time, deals may be made, extended visa schemes might be introduced and you might be able to.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
If you have a UK registration after Brexit Day then I think you should expect to be stopped quite regularly. So you should make sure that you are legal in respect of Mot, road tax and insurance. You should do this anyway, otherwise you are potentially a danger to your fellow road users.
I would also have proof of date of entry to EU, in the form of ferry booking, then keep an eye on the news
Good luck

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think for full-timers in a MH there may be possibilities to 'rig' the system.

For example.

One enters Schengen and after 5 1/2 months one applies for permission for Residency in Schengen Country A.

Two weeks later one applies for Residency in Schengen Country B and informs Countrry A that you are withdrawing the initial application there.

One has not breached Schengen rules because one has applied to stay in Country B

One could continue this process for years.

Address? - give a campsite/Aire address with a fictitous pitch number, and tell the neighbours you have 'gone shopping/taken the dog to the vets.

Anyway, by the time Country A come to check on the address they have already received your letter withdrawing your application in Country A.

Since you have already applied for Residency in Country B you are not in breach of Schengen 90 day rules, as far as I can see.

Maybe somebody wiser than I will see a flaw in the strategy.

In theory any Citizen of any country within Schengen would have to do similar if they stayed more than 90 days in another Schengen country.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back