Full time from 1st june, not by choice! (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
So, looks like I might be full timing in the van soon as the wife is being made to go back to work in a kids nursery, possibly on june the 1st, this is too much of a risk for me as she won't be getting any PPE and nothing spreads germs and viruses like a snot nosed kid!. I am classed as "at risk" as I have Parkinsons but not high enough risk to get supermarket home deliveries etc. Driveway in the van isn't an option as its next to a busy 60mph road so will be looking for places to park up in South Lincs/North Norfolk if anyone has any suggestions? Relatives are either over 70 and vulnerable or recovering from cancer so can't help.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you are shielding and really vulnerable then should your wife be made to go back to work?

You need to look into this further, has your wife explained the situation to work?

Your wife's place of work should be completing a thorough risk assessment for staff going back, to include any PPE as well if required.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so sorry I can't help you.

The following is only my opinion and only backed up by my own observations which could well be biased and inaccurate.

And I fully agree that as children build up their own immunity they do become "germ factories". For the adult population that is usually not a problem or an issue as we are already immune to a lot of things they are spreading. When there is a new disease or virus that is when the children (who are building immunity) become the transmission vector. Children tend to be much better at building immunity than adults - possibly because they are growing and their bodies cope well with stress and change. They cope with stress (illness) is what becomes a positive way. Older people are no longer growing and stress (illness) causes further stress and more illness.

Please Bomber county wanderers keep yourself safe and I hope your wife also remains well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
I never got the letter from the government. The official line seems to be I am at no greater risk of catching it than anyone else but much higher likelyhood of not surviving if I do get it. Wifes employer has said all she will get is SSP if she doesn't go back to work. I am self employed but my season is cancelled as all shows/rallies/festivals are off (I got £1400 through the grant scheme which won't last long).

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You are making the right decision in protecting yourself, your wife is also making the right decision to return to work despite the risk. Its a bit like the last war, some got called up as anti aircraft gunners in the Hebrides, some to a swamp in Singapore and some to a nice cushy post with plenty of women around. It was not fair but was largely accepted. Unfortunately this virus is also meaning some are expected to take greater risk than others, we acknowledge thus with our Thursday clapping. She is a hero.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I feel for you as OH TinaL has Parkinsons, asthma, and has sustained 2 strokes, and she also did not get the gov letter to confirm she was in the high risk category to qualify for any special home delivery options.
I go out as little as possible to get the groceries in, and pick up her carrier bag size of meds from the local chemist each month.
To have to self isolate away from home in your van sounds like a horrible experience, but I do appreciate that sleeping on your drive may be difficult with road noise.
If it were me, I would certainly give the drive option a try, even with earplugs its much better than having to leave home.
You would still have all the usual problems/risks of collecting your food & meds, as your wife would probably have to deliver them to your remote site.
I hope you can find a suitable arrangement that does not involve such drastic measures to remain safe.
Keep us posted please on what happens with your wife's school arrangements, I think that the threat of SSP only is unfair for any teacher living with a high risk partner.
Best wishes.
LES

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So, looks like I might be full timing in the van soon as the wife is being made to go back to work in a kids nursery, possibly on june the 1st, this is too much of a risk for me as she won't be getting any PPE and nothing spreads germs and viruses like a snot nosed kid!. I am classed as "at risk" as I have Parkinsons but not high enough risk to get supermarket home deliveries etc. Driveway in the van isn't an option as its next to a busy 60mph road so will be looking for places to park up in South Lincs/North Norfolk if anyone has any suggestions? Relatives are either over 70 and vulnerable or recovering from cancer so can't help.
There will be many on here who will be very envious of your new found freedom.(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I do sometimes wonder why some people are in one group and not in another.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
From the Guardian:

Munro described this finding as reassuring and said he thought it would be safe to reopen schools slowly and carefully. “I can understand why people are afraid,” he told the Observer. “We still do not know the exact role of children in the transmission of the virus. However, it does seem to be less than adults’ involvement.

“Children are the safest group to take out of lockdown because they have the lowest risk of becoming ill from Covid-19 and appear to pose a lower risk of infecting others. And we should also remember that keeping them out of schools is detrimental to their long-term prospects in life.”

Yes, we need more evidence of the role of children catching and spreading the virus but so far is looks like the risk is very low. If schools have used the last week or so to prepare for June 1st, I think that the risk of staff getting the virus are slim. PPE won't be issued to many as it has little effect in most situations - far better to have good ventilation and maintain good hand washing regimes.

I suspect that schools will shut down again quickly if it seems that the virus is being spread faster than had they kept shut but infection rates do not appear to have jumped up in the countries where schools have reopened so most people should be safe in schools (excluding those shielding).

For most schools, the students returning will be limited to Reception, Yrs 1 & 6 and 10 and 12. If the SD practices don't work, they will have to look for another option.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

It does appear that it's down to where you live or your GP

My sister has decompensated liver cirrhosis and an associated whole load of related serious health issues, yet she hasn't had a letter or calls from her GP.

Others I know with serious heart issues and recovering from cancer no letters either, I can't work it out.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Lets face it guys, I like many others do not take any test, infection rate, or even death figures as being accurate.
Neither do I accept that sufficient test kits or PPE is being distributed evenly across the country.
I fully appreciate however, how difficult this task is, but why not just state something like, we realise the situation, we are doing our best, and apologise.
I know that in political terms it means holding your hands up to failure, but everyone by now should realise, no party in the drivers seat, could have done any better, as it is after all, a worldwide problem, with everyone wanting endless supplies.
All we can ask is that those in charge, live & learn, do their best to improve the situation, but be honest about it.

Rant: to add insult to injury was the decision to to not only reinstate the London Congestion Charge, but increase it to £15 per day! It should be free of charge until we get over this, at least those travelling to work in cars are not using public transport, but to be penalised for kick starting even in a small way, our economy, is just so wrong.
Its supposedly free to all NHS & Key workers, but its not surprising to hear that many are have hit a brick wall in getting their vehicles registered as key workers on the database.
LES

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I think a lot of the reasons people at risk haven't got the shielding letter and ongoing support is down to individual gp practises . If you think you should be in the shielded group and are not get in touch with your practise , its sometimes a breakdown of communication and needs chasing up (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Bomber county wanderers could you phone your GP and ask about being in shielding? Once you have your letter you can register with the council where ever you are staying (well you can in Scotland as our guest had his letter - from England - and just had to phone the local council here - in Scotland. He has found it the weekly food parcel too much to cope with in a motorhome though). BUT he just has to phone the Resilient Communities Coordinator, she phones a volunteer who collects any shopping for him. Also I ask if there is anything to put on my delivered order every week :)

I asked my GP why I was in the shielding group ...... she said you have (or have had) x,y and z. None of these by themselves would qualify for shielding but in combination they do.

She also said that records were being examined manually and one at a time - a LOT of work and it is not all being done by qualified medical people. The reception staff are also helping to weed through records that need to be looked at more closely and those that appear to be clear of risk factors. Some records may well fall through the gaps, especially if you haven't seen your GP for the qualifying condition recently.

If you have not had your letter, and think you should have had one, it might be worth contacting your GP surgery in case you have been missed. It does take a while to get onto the supermarket priority lists (4 weeks in my case) and getting a delivery slot can still be hit and miss. I get one delivery a week from Sainsbury (today's the day yippee!!) but if I want a Tesco delivery the next available slot is in 3 weeks and the delivery charge is £10. Sainsbury is more expensive than Tesco (and more limited choice) but the Tesco delivery charge eats up all the savings and more. I am going to stick with Sainsbury (also it is closer to where we live by 18 miles). I'm really looking forward to being able to shop in Lidl again :)

Our local greengrocer do a click and collect but I have found their produce doesn't keep for the whole week :( In the past I would shop there twice a week so it didn't matter.

Asda made a real mess of my order so I won't use them again and Morrisons don't deliver here.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I find that not funny in his circumstances. Other times maybe, but not now.

Geoff
Try visiting the children's ward in the general hospital just now where the cured bell has been removed because it was too traumatic for those who will not make it. Sorry nicholsong but I don't find this particular situation deserves too much sympathy. Wife going back to work for financial reasons, husband too concerned for his own situation to live in the same house. Sorry I am the most sympathetic person but not for this sort of posting.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Try visiting the children's ward in the general hospital just now where the cured bell has been removed because it was too traumatic for those who will not make it. Sorry nicholsong but I don't find this particular situation deserves too much sympathy. Wife going back to work for financial reasons, husband too concerned for his own situation to live in the same house. Sorry I am the most sympathetic person but not for this sort of posting.
Really !!! and there by the grace of god go I...... i really hope you do not find yourself in this situation

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Really !!! and there by the grace of god go I...... i really hope you do not find yourself in this situation
In what situation could I find myself in TCG, you know nothing about my situation how can you make such a judgement.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013

It does appear that it's down to where you live or your GP

I got the shielding letter for no reason I could think of other than cancer/chemo over 30 years ago which hasn't needed any treatment since.

Phoned my GP surgery who said the letter came from the NHS not the surgery, although it had their details on it. She couldn't see anything in my notes to indicate high risk. She also said she'd had quite a few similar calls. I think I heard that about 100k people had received the letter in error?

I didn't register online as vulnerable but I did get a call asking if I needed any help, which thankfully I don't.

Good luck Bomber county wanderers hope the situation doesnt last too long.

Karen

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Sorry to hear of your problem, and I apologise now if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
You are vulnerable because you have Parkinsons, but your not at the moment severely debilitated and can still look after yourself and able to work when its available?
I take it your wife does the shopping and looks after you at the moment.

If that's the case, If you do go and live in the motorhome, you will have to go shopping at some point, You will also have to empty the toilet and fill up water etc, putting yourself at risk. A small risk maybe.
I dont know your household, but why can't you shield in your own home?
If you only have 1 bathroom, make sure its cleaned properly when used. If you have 2, use 1 each. use separate towels etc.
Sleep in separate bedrooms. Turn 1 bedroom into a bedsit, with a TV etc.

You could cook the dinner for your wife for when she gets home, then go and eat yours in your bedsit room. When the wife leaves for work, you can wipe down the traffic areas with anti bacterial and do the housework!
(watch TV:smiley:) You would need to be disciplined, but after a while it will be 2nd nature.
Personally I would prefer that, to going off on my own. At least you are close, even if you can't kiss and cuddle.
Its got to be better mentally at least. Just my tuppence worth(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Remember that your post that I was commenting on was

"There will be many on here who will be very envious of your new found freedom."

I cannot see any 'new found freedom' in their situation.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Remember that your post that I was commenting on was

"There will be many on here who will be very envious of your new found freedom."

I cannot see any 'new found freedom' in their situation.
This is possibly the very first time that I have seen "Full time from the 1st June" in a negative form. Perhaps it is attracting the wrong punters me included. If it were me then I think I would be parking on my own drive with some ear protection so I could assist at home if needed. This would easily give the recommended 2m barrier for social distancing.

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
It won't really work us trying to isolate from each other in the house due to the layout, we only have one bathroom and kitchen etc. I am still trying to get clarification as to what stage of "vulnerable" I am, Parkinsons's UK are trying to sort it out with the government. I am mobile and able to do shopping on my own although doing so brings on "severe anxiety" that comes as part of the disease as things are at the moment. Government are saying under 5's are very unlikely to spread it in person but its the clutter that comes with them like toys, pushchairs, baby seats etc that will carry the virus in from homes (in my opinion anyway), not everybody is as keen with the bleach as they ought to be at the best of times. Moving into the van seems the most sensible option at present if only for a few weeks, I guess we will know by mid july if covid is going the rip through schools and nurseries like it has done through care homes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back