Fridge (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi , does anyone travel with the fridge on battery or gas, was at dealers today over water tank issue , I put the fridge on to battery before I set off, when I arrived the service manager told me that I shouldn't put the fridge on battery as it will screw the leisure battery up but on gas when I stop ,but wouldn't that mean that the freezer would defrost when on the move , I thought that if you have one of those travel gas regulator it was safe to do so or am I wrong . It is a dometic fridge

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Why not just leave it on auto? It can then pick the best fuel source itself. When travelling it will automatically pick battery. No the freezer will not defrost, unless of course you forget to choose electric or gas for a few days once parked up.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Do leave on auto but is it safe to leave the gas turned on so it can pick the best way but what happens if you want fuel if on motorway you would have to turn it off before filling up ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There should be a built in delay in your system I believe, so that there is a period between using battery when driving and the gas system kicking in to allow for fuel stops.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Ideally, you would switch the fridge to battery when the engine is running, and switch to gas when the engine stops. The engine alternator will supply enough power to run the fridge, and charge up the batteries if they need it.

With a manually switched system the problem is remembering to do the switching. It's so easy to forget. The fridge will flatten an average leisure battery in a few hours.

Some fridges have what is called 'Automatic Energy Selection' (AES), which automatically switches to battery (12V) when the engine is running. It switches back to gas when the engine stops (with a safety delay of about 20 min in case you've stopped for fuel). If you plug in an electric mains hookup it automatically switches from gas to mains 240V power.

So the answer to your question is, yes, most fridges run from 12V (the alternator/battery) when on the move.

If you have a crash-protected gas regulator you can run a fridge from gas while on the move. But you have to be careful that you switch off the gas when you intend to get fuel.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Do leave on auto but is it safe to leave the gas turned on so it can pick the best way but what happens if you want fuel if on motorway you would have to turn it off before filling up ?
As far as I’m aware there’s a 15 minute delay after engine off before gas kicks in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Thats what I thought but service manager says that you should not leave on battery but turn it on to gas when stopped .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Ideally, you would switch the fridge to battery when the engine is running, and switch to gas when the engine stops. The engine alternator will supply enough power to run the fridge, and charge up the batteries if they need it.

With a manually switched system the problem is remembering to do the switching. It's so easy to forget. The fridge will flatten an average leisure battery in a few hours.

Some fridges have what is called 'Automatic Energy Selection' (AES), which automatically switches to battery (12V) when the engine is running. It switches back to gas when the engine stops (with a safety delay of about 20 min in case you've stopped for fuel). If you plug in an electric mains hookup it automatically switches from gas to mains 240V power.

So the answer to your question is, yes, most fridges run from 12V (the alternator/battery) when on the move.

If you have a crash-protected gas regulator you can run a fridge from gas while on the move. But you have to be careful that you switch off the gas when you intend to get fuel.
Cheers autoroute, but would it make a big difference if left on battery while stopped for a brew /toilet break other wise you would be in and out to the gas locker.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Thats what I thought but service manager says that you should not leave on battery but turn it on to gas when stopped .
Many fridges will only run on 12V when the engine is running. Others (my Hymer for example) allow you to run the fridge from the leisure battery when the engine is stopped. That's usually not a good idea, especially with a memory as bad as mine. It will flatten the battery in a few hours, as your dealer rightly says. I always leave the fridge on auto. The only exceptions are on the Channel Tunnel or ferry (gas turned off at the cylinder tap) and when in storage.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Cheers autoroute, but would it make a big difference if left on battery while stopped for a brew /toilet break other wise you would be in and out to the gas locker.
When switched to 12v and the engine is running, the fridge is powered via a relay directly from the alternator. Once the engine is turned off, the fridge is no longer powered by 12v, except for the light and controls which are powered from the leisure battery. The fridge won’t cool down significantly (or the freezer defrost) if left unpowered for the time it takes to make and drink a brew. Ours beeps when turned to 12v if the engine isn’t running, so we either turn it off or switch over to gas. The gas has to be turned on to make the brew anyway!

Edit, thanks Tombola! That should won’t warm up significantly not won’t cool down!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Put on auto and the fridge / ecu will select battery when the engine is running.
And I always switch bottles off when travelling.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on much older vans the advice might have had a basis in truth. You had to manually change the heat source before you set off and when you stopped. If, as was a fairly common thing, the 12v relay for the fridge stuck in the closed position, the battery would rapidly drain

these days with electronic automatic heat source selection, it is much less of an issue

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Gas off whenever on the move. Fridge on auto. 5000+ miles without there being any problem with the leisure battery (or the fridge). Not sure what your dealer in on about.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back