Fridge buzzing on 12v

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by paddymcc, Sep 21, 2018.

1. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Our Dometic AES fridge RM7655 has started making a rapid buzzing/clicking on 12v -it comes on just after the engine starts. The green light for 12v operation changes to orange in time with the noise. The fridge still seems to be working. I suspect it is a faulty connection/relay clicking on and off. It seems to be coming from behind the control panel at the top. (I read another thread about a relay at the back being a problem but don't think that the noise is coming from the back).
    Anyone know how to get the control panel off-no obvious screws so I suspect that it just clips on but don't want to force it.
    Paddy

2. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Ratings:
    +2,727
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks a lot @namwaldog
    Page 17 -pull off the control nobs and undo the screws concealed beneath. I think you saved me from breaking the control panel cover.
    Now I've got to try and find what's causing the noise. No doubt I will be back!

4. J&S

J&S Funster

Ratings:
    +167
    Hey mine had just started doing the same.. makes a hell of a noise... got the controller panel off . But the fault is intermittent so sods law it's stopped making the noise when I got a repair man to look at it.
    Think I'll have to get a new printed circuit board , feel fairly sure it's a component on the board or
    Have you solved it yet? @paddymcc

John

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Hi John @J&S
    Not solved it yet.... I took the control board panel of but without taking the fridge out I can't locate the noise. It does seem to be coming from that area.
    Will keep you posted if I can solve it. Otherwise it may be a trip to Dave Newell.
    Cheers
    Paddy

6. J&S

J&S Funster

Ratings:
    +167
    Ok Paddy... Funny it all works normally just buzzies when on 12v ..
    I'll let you know if I discover a solution...
    Have fun. John

7. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Hi @J&S
    Just to let you and anyone else know that I did solve the problem :it was the relay at the back of the fridge clicking on and off as the voltage dropped intermittently due to an iffy fuse -the 12v supply to the fridge from the starter battery ( it's situated next to the starter battery). Replaced the fuse and it now works fine.

8. J&S

J&S Funster

Ratings:
    +167
    Well done PADDY. when you say at the back of the fridge do you really mean the rear? As my clicking comes from inside the fridge control box at the top of the fridge on the front.
    Could be the same relay just mounted in a different place?

9. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Yes at the rear and accessible through the lower vent. I could do a photo of it tomorrow if you want?

10. J&S

J&S Funster

Ratings:
    +167
    Oh please that would be most helpful.. thank Paddy your a star!

11. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Here you are @J&S :
    A view through the lower vent, silver gas pipe along the bottom going to the burner on the right. Above it the coolant tube in black with the black cube of the relay behind it. The 12v supply from the starter battery (20A fuse by the battery) is blue and brown coming into the white connecting block directly above the relay. I guess if your supply comes in at the top of the fridge it might be somewhere else although this looks like the standard place? I certainly thought that the noise was coming from the control panel initially but I was incorrect. 20181116_102139.jpg