Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
My on board water tank is 60 litres, and if I overfill it water runs out of an outlet a few inches away from the drainage port. I assume this is intentional and I can do no harm by overfilling? My guage shows it as 3/4 full when its overflowing so its hard to judge! Sorry for another newbie question!

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can any Hymer owners tell me how to tell if my 1999 B644 has an overflow, & before anyone states the obvious I don't want to fill it up and just see if it overflows the screw off lid under the seat, I am not looking for a soggy bottom!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can any Hymer owners tell me how to tell if my 1999 B644 has an overflow, & before anyone states the obvious I don't want to fill it up and just see if it overflows the screw off lid under the seat, I am not looking for a soggy bottom!
Hymer fit two types of overflow, normally if the tank is in a bedbox the overflow will be built into the filler cap you will see a 10mm pipe running alog side of the filler pipe. If the tank is in a double floor or an under floor enclosure they often fit a 10mm in the side at the top of the tank and feed it out under the chassis.
Make sure the big blue inspection can & the cap where the pump is fitted are very tight and fill the tank right up, when full water will either come out the filler or a pipe under the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had Hymer had said that on their web page, I wouldn't have crossed them off our list so abruptly. We like to take a full tank when moving 'cos we never be sure where we will end up and what facilities will be there.
Nearly everyone I know with a Hymer travels with a full tank never heard of any problems.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hymer fit two types of overflow, normally if the tank is in a bedbox the overflow will be built into the filler cap you will see a 10mm pipe running alog side of the filler pipe. If the tank is in a double floor or an under floor enclosure they often fit a 10mm in the side at the top of the tank and feed it out under the chassis.
Make sure the big blue inspection can & the cap where the pump is fitted are very tight and fill the tank right up, when full water will either come out the filler or a pipe under the van.

Lenny,
Thank you, so I either way it should have an overflow.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
As newbies, I've been thinking how handy it would be to have a water gauge like the one on kettles outside by the water inlet....... :LOL:

View attachment 57013
Now that is so sensible and dare I say obvious, I think MH designers should be employing you very soon, Cheers

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Now that is so sensible and dare I say obvious, I think MH designers should be employing you very soon, Cheers
I've seen one but I can't remember where.

Our coach built had a bed box tank and as far as I remember had no overflow. The campervan only has a bottle behind the rear doors so does slip a bit if I drive with it full.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="WillH, post: 1347200, member: 1453" We know that our consumption is around 5 litres a day, plus a kettle and a jug for drinking water. So, in theory, the tank has 18 days supply in it. Result is I don't bother much, just a watering can a day. In over 40k miles we have never run out of water, anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I use more than that for tea ! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Is it safe to use a watering can? Is it food grade, or is too much emphasis put on food grade?

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
I only use food grade hose, but we do drink the tank water filtered, others choose not to drink it so not so important, and some of the hoses that I have seen used, I would not use to wash the van let alone fill it yuk..

Hoses are usually coiled and so it's difficult to get all the water out before storing so can go off, watering cans do not contain stale water as they are easier to empty. Even with food grade I always let the water run for a while before filling.

Your choice, but with a new to you van that you do not know the history I would fill the tank and add a bottle of Milton, stand for a few days then flush until the taste has gone..

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I should hope not it's a German van.:)
Our Hymer has the overflow in the side at the top of the tank and never looses any water either.
We noticed a trail of water from our Hymer after filling when going up hills. I fitted tap in the overflow. Open it to fill, as it blows back if you don't, and close it once full. No more water trail and loss of water.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We noticed a trail of water from our Hymer after filling when going up hills. I fitted tap in the overflow. Open it to fill, as it blows back if you don't, and close it once full. No more water trail and loss of water.
Must admit never looked going up hill, hope you open the tap when in use otherwise no air can get in to replace the water, could put unnecessary strain on the tank & reduce water pressure.

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I think the problem with the visible tube idea is that it quickly gets misty and then manky with waterlines on the inside, unless you have access with a test tube cleaner it soon is unusable.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Changed our Motorhome a couple of months ago. Previous van, no loss when driving, Compass Avangarde. New one, Elddis Autoquest 155, smaller tank and on 150 mile journey to site lost half a tank. Before people start, we usually leave home with a full tank and are happy with the extra cost per mile, what ever it is. Losing that much water is too much though. Last weekend I went under the van, located the overflow and measured up. Quick trip to the day shop for some fittings and the overflow is now piped to a valve beside our fresh water drain. Open when filling. Close when travelling. So far it works well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back