Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Since March 23
We have a 2017 Bailey Autograph 79-4, it has the Seattle Control System, we had our first main outing as newbie motorhomers and noticed when we fill up the fresh water tank it overfills at 70% full, pushing water through the floor cap! does anyone know if there is a way of calibrating it back to a true 100% full, I've seen a few YouTube videos but not one has done it through the same Control system as ours.

Thanks in advance for any advice

20230404_183818.jpg 20230404_183837.jpg

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
The sensors are notoriously inaccurate on mohos. Have a google for the various hacks to clean them. Some fill tanks like yours through the top hatch. enjoy the journey With your new van.
Cush

edit to add - looks like the sensor array should be be fairly easy to remove if it’s the white cap with three screws

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
We use the 'overfill' as our meter (under the hab, on the outside, that is) as the one we have on out elddis is always at 3/4 on the gauge when it's actually full, had a replacement gauge and same happens with that 😀

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a 2017 Bailey Autograph 79-4, it has the Seattle Control System, we had our first main outing as newbie motorhomers and noticed when we fill up the fresh water tank it overfills at 70% full, pushing water through the floor cap! does anyone know if there is a way of calibrating it back to a true 100% full, I've seen a few YouTube videos but not one has done it through the same Control system as ours.

View attachment 738078 View attachment 738079
As above - you can't trust the water or waste gauges.
You probably shouldn't be traveling with a full water tank anyway. Only put enough water in for any journey to the campsite

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994

View attachment 738078 View attachment 738079
This is the instruction for resetting Bailey Water indicators

Water Probe.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Burstner fit an over fill valve to stop you - probably due to lack of payload.
But why carry a tank full of water to a campsite?

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
We happily carry full water, and the van is designed for it. We always leave home full.
More concerned your water overflows through the floor cap? Tank should be vented externally and that doubles as an overflow. (unless the vent is where its leaking from and not routed anywhere?

Depending on how you fill, if you use a sealed filler, then if you use too fast/high pressure input the overflow can't cope with the flow and you can over pressure the tank and potentially crack it. So give some thought into how you fill and where the breather is?

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Burstner fit an over fill valve to stop you - probably due to lack of payload.
But why carry a tank full of water to a campsite?
Why get to a campsite to then have to fill up? The extra 100kg will make * all difference in fuel usage. Can't notice any mpg or performance difference in ours from "empty" to fully loaded for 2 month trip.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
More concerned your water overflows through the floor cap? Tank should be vented externally and that doubles as an overflow. (unless the vent is where its leaking from and not routed anywhere?
This happened to us - see below.
Depending on how you fill, if you use a sealed filler, then if you use too fast/high pressure input the overflow can't cope with the flow and you can over pressure the tank and potentially crack it. So give some thought into how you fill and where the breather is?
We made the mistake of using one of those replacement hose attachment water filling caps (ie you attach a hose to it), unfortunately the breather/overflow pipe on the Globecar was way too small (it exited via a small hole within the filler cap surround) consequently when the tank was full the water couldn't get out fast enough so forced it's way past one of the internal tank inspection caps and flooded the floor, running out of the sliding door. Fortunately we noticed and immediately turned off the tap, mopped up and tightened the tank inspection cap as much as we could, then ditched the new filling cap as no way did we want to risk that happening again. I then adapted our water hose by fitting a 'hook' (from a metal/plastic coat hanger) about 6 inches from the end which holds the hose in place whilst allow overflowing water to come out past it, works a treat.

hose hook.png

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Not every Motorhome has the payload to carry 100 litre of water. My previous Motorhome was 4500 kg with about 800kg pay load after loosing C1 I am down to 3500kg with awning towbar fitted and the two of us only got 300kg left with 20 litres water in a 100ltr tank. Just lucky I have toad that can carry the surplus weight. And I am within maximum train weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not every Motorhome has the payload to carry 100 litre of water. My previous Motorhome was 4500 kg with about 800kg pay load after loosing C1 I am down to 3500kg with awning towbar fitted and the two of us only got 300kg left with 20 litres water in a 100ltr tank. Just lucky I have toad that can carry the surplus weight. And I am within maximum train weight.
Where there's sufficient capacity though why limit yourself, that's the point I was trying to make, I understand your situation has changed so you are managing it as best you can.

If I was looking at buying a MH but discovered we had to carry a reduced amount of water to stay legal that would immediately rule it out regardless of how may other boxes it ticked. Also if the fresh water tank was small it wouldn't get a second glance either - we had a PVC with a 60 litre tank and it was an absolute pain in the bum, never again.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
As above - you can't trust the water or waste gauges.
You probably shouldn't be traveling with a full water tank anyway. Only put enough water in for any journey to the campsite
We always travel with full water. Never know how easy it is at the next stop. Haven't found any measurable difference in mpg.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging

We made the mistake of using one of those replacement hose attachment water filling caps (ie you attach a hose to it), unfortunately the breather/overflow pipe on the Globecar was way too small (it exited via a small hole within the filler cap surround) consequently when the tank was full the water couldn't get out fast enough so forced it's way past one of the internal tank inspection caps and flooded the floor, running out of the sliding door. Fortunately we noticed and immediately turned off the tap, mopped up and tightened the tank inspection cap as much as we could, then ditched the new filling cap as no way did we want to risk that happening again. I then adapted our water hose by fitting a 'hook' (from a metal/plastic coat hanger) about 6 inches from the end which holds the hose in place whilst allow overflowing water to come out past it, works a treat.

View attachment 738237
Not just a pretty face, eh?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Water gauges are notorious for not being too accurate, grey water gauges are worse. But don't worry, after a while using your van, you'll instinctively know what is in your tanks and rarely get caught out.

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We always travel with full water. Never know how easy it is at the next stop. Haven't found any measurable difference in mpg.
We just don't have the spare payload to carry that much dead weight.
We never have a problem finding water when we want a shower.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
CaralouH , also worth remembering that your fresh water tank may be larger than your waste. Mine has a 20L difference.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp

View attachment 738237
I've just taken the hose connection thingy (that was spring loaded and sealed to the filler) - and removed the innards so it just loosly fits in the hole but clips in place but does not seal. (I also have a "tap" next to it so I can stop flow at the end the hose).
Thanks for the reminder to do something about it!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I calibrated our fresh water gauge to be more accurate at its lower levels as I'm more interested if we are likely to run out, but this made it inaccurate at the higher fill levels.
Our fresh and grey waste tanks are external under our van, and this allowed me access to fit a float switch connected to a buzzer close to the top of the fresh water tank that gives me an audible indication when the tank is coming up to full.

1681737375119.png

I have since fitted Mopeka Pro Bluetooth sensors to both the fresh and grey tank which now gives me an accurate indication of our tank levels.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I use the wife as a water level gauge.
You put her in the garage and stick her hand in the top of the tank.
When she says her hand is wet you stop filling.
Simples !

As for travelling with a full tank.
If I'm going to a campsite or where I know there is water then I'll travel empty (or nearly empty).

I have a Hymer, most of which have a 25% drain, which will drain the tank to 25% full, or, give the tap a full turn will drain to empty.
Hymer do not recommend travel with more than 25% full tank.

We have found travel with 100% full tank can cause the lid on the top of the tank to be pushed off.
It can also cause the pump to be disengaged from the pipe.
As the tank does not have baffles, you get a tidal wave in the tank going around roundabouts.

Bottom line, you don't travel with a full tank unless you really need to.
(For example, I'll be filling up before the Peterborough Show as I know it's difficult to fill on site, but I'll dump down to 25% when I leave as I can fill when I arrive at the campsite)

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Our first motorhome had several “issues” but the water guage worked really well. Part exchanged for something 9 years younger and the water guage is absolutely useless, either empty or full if it has any water in. Took out the magic rods and cleaned them, removed a load of putty round the cap showing an amateur has been made previously … but no joy, might as well ask the dog how much is in there !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back