Fresh food at Christmas

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
I've just heard from our family who live in France that the French customs are stopping Brits entering France and searching for fresh meat and diry products and then confiscating them. Has anyone heard anything?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
With no idea on how many active members on here there are or how many trips they have done post brexit when the regulations came in about the food, the only information that has been confirmed (to my knowledge) is truck driver on day 13 who had his ham sandwich taken in Holland and it happened to have occurred in front of a TV crew.

There will be the odd one who loses food, customs officers have arguments with partners and take their issues into work as well !

OP
OP
Vennwood
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
This appears to be something new and I hope that as there will be many Funsters travelling South for Xmas I hope there will be some feedback. We have travelled several times (twice this year) and had no problems so really wanting to know if this a "new" persecution

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We travelled via Eurotunnel last week and customs were interested in nothing other than the gas being off in the van. Never asked to enter the van - same as the previous 5 times we have travelled to across to France in the past 18 months.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've just heard from our family who live in France that the French customs are stopping Brits entering France and searching for fresh meat and diry products and then confiscating them. Has anyone heard anything?
Not new. There have been loads of posts here about this ever since the 'regulation' was introduced coincident with Brexit but few if any first-hand accounts of it happening since some lorry drivers had their ham sandwiches confiscated almost 2 years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
This has been asked many times and the general experience is that they are not interested - unless your friend was talking about a one off unusual event or a change in policy, who knows? I've been 3 times in the last year and a bit it and had no problems with a full fridge of fresh and frozen stuff.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
😂😂😂😂lucky if you get a French customs bloke to look up at you.
Came over last week and just the gas check as usual.

When we go back it will be just the French border control chap popping his head in the motorhome to make sure I have no illegals.
Strange they don’t look at my lockers as I could get 2-3 in their stretched out😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Still… if they take your food, you can buy some more in France…..😎
If I was a French Border guard and I was going to be duty over Christmas, the last few days leading up to it, I might be tempted to stocking up the office fridge.

Why pay when you can get it for free and it would be a waste to throw it away! 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Vennwood
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Thanks for all your replies guys. It sounds like an old story re-gurgitated. Must admit on the times we have crossed they were not interested one little bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If I was a French Border guard and I was going to be duty over Christmas, the last few days leading up to it, I might be tempted to stocking up the office fridge.

Why pay when you can get it for free and it would be a waste to throw it away! 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely….😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
just-looking
I now how true this is! My husband is Mexican. His family makes 30+ dozen tamales at Christmas time. Wake up Christmas morning, have a tamale, sit down to open presents, have a tamale, clean up wrapping paper, have a tamale. This goes on all day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back