French Toll Costs (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2018
Funster No
We are off to France in June, the first time in our motorhome which is 4.5t and 3.22m high. I believe that this means we will be classed as a HGV and liable for 3x the car rate to use the tolls and that a toll tag is not available for this vehicle size. I’m planning to use non-toll roads therefore as much as possible.

Would be grateful if anyone else with a similar size vehicle could provide advice on their experiences driving in France using toll and/or non-toll roads.

Thanks

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
I am not as high (3.05 m) and do come up as class 3 (very expensive) Push the help button and mention that you are a Camping Car. It’s the most rewarding bit of French to know! It has worked 90% + for me in last three years. It drops to class2, much less expensive. Your height however may be more difficult but worth trying

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are 4.5t but under 3m, hardly ever use tolls on the odd occasion we have been charged Cass 2 but it's normally the height that triggers the sensors.
We find the ordinary roads are fine we are not normally in a hurry.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Would be grateful if anyone else with a similar size vehicle could provide advice on their experiences driving in France using toll and/or non-toll roads.
I rarely use tolls but to answer your specific question......
Non toll roads often have very many roundabouts at the four compass points around towns and villages which can become tedious.
The speed limits change frequently - although this isn't a problem for me as in my 27yr old m/h I'm never in a hurry so rarely drive faster than 50mph. The longer the journey takes the more scenery I can enjoy.
If I want to be somewhere sooner I leave earlier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Last van was 4.5t and 3.05m tall, always class 2 if not automatically then request class 2, no problems. Current van 4.5t and 3.2m, always class 3, it is the height.

Our routine was :

1. put hazard lights on as approaching toll booth
2. wait for class 3 to be displayed
3. press bottom button,
4. When answered, say 'Je suis une camping car, classe Deux si vous plait' .

50% of the time change to class 2, other times try again and again swapping between top and bottom button, eventually they or I give up. My record was more than 10 minutes, got the same operator every time no chance, eventually got someone else they changed to class 2🤣

We now avoid tolls in France, unless really tedious and only ever short sections.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back