French Government unveils plan to extend use of private radar cars following trial in Normandy (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Whilst I understand your reasoning, and it is a perfect philosophy, how does that sit with that car, van, bike buried in your back bumper when you do it?
Its all very well in a perfect world but that's the problem.
I would also point out that signage isn't always visible to a point where brakes, however applied, would save you from a fine.
BTW, in this context, I passed my test in 1966 and I've never had anything other than a 'clean' licence.

Last edited:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
That is because Foreign Blankets, are ALL enveloping, and take no mind of the individual. The vast majority of recent UK law, (the last 40+years) and the more "restrictive" of which are of EUSSR origins. UK Bureaucrat`s have joyfully jumped on that bandwagon, to enhance and create more "shiny bums on seats" and hence the more restrictive the UK has become, Few "home grown" regulations are as restrictive.

In my own field, we had some very sensible safety regulation for many years, which where "modified" under "EU rules" and became a logistical and Bureaucratic nightmare, I finished up doing far more "paperwork" and a lot less actual examinations. In the end it was the "paperwork" that figured to some extent in my decision to retire early

I do remember hearing UK politicians boasting in recent times about EU regulations are a minimum standard and how proud they are in imposing more stringent regulation!! Strange this all encompassing blanket seems to have large holes in it which cover the remainder of the EU....

Your comments above don't cover the restrictions on strikes, demonstrations, CCTV, Face recognition cameras, control of the press by a few individuals who are not resident in the UK, so as I say the UK seems to be a very controlled environment which the individuals seem to enjoy.. Of course the ' Gilets Jaune' have shown that some countries have the confidence to allow individuals to express themselves and to listen..Yes some idiots went to the extreme but the majority are your local individuals who you would see in your local supermarket..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
9FEC03D4-38D5-40D4-BC6E-43F05321EF1E.png

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
No sure why it isn’t showing u my edit . Just to clarify the second number should have a 4 So is 4283 . In my opinion not enough to feel ‘ruled ‘ by Europe . Many of them also improved workers rights . I find it strange given this number why people feel they are ruled by Europe and when asked which rules they don’t like are unable to name any !

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I would suggest that the vast majority of drivers, even attempting to comply with limits by taking their foot off on seeing the signs will still get caught simply by the momentum of their vehicles.

My vehicle is fitted with brakes which when applied reduce the speed ... is this not a norm?

Ooops just seen same comment prior to mine, sorry for the duplication

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Whilst I understand your reasoning, and it is a perfect philosophy, how does that sit with that car, van, bike buried in your back bumper when you do it?

The vehicle following should maintain a sufficient distance to be able to brake before become "buried in your back bumper".

Not wanting to be picky here, but I brake to reduce my speed, not by slamming on, but by seeing what is in front of me and changing my speed and direction at a reasonable rate. If this causes problems for those behind I suspect the fault lies with them and not myself. That said, emergencies where one must apply the brake more vigorously do occur but still, the responsibility of the following vehicle maintaining sufficient distance nearly always rests with them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi.
Don't forget the..... SOUND track as well,(y) from a 2 stroke diesel at revs....Coooooooooooooooooooooooooool.
Tea Bag
That's what crossed my mind although I suspect they used to have 2T petrol and now have conventional 4T Diesel. They actually, in my limited experience, sound like a Thwaites dumper.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Part of the problem is some think they are or should be the only ones.
Hi.
Not me..... Its..."My Motorway/road/lane/footpath cycle lane." All you lot are trespassing. Lets change tack,for "Motorist read Cyclists:whistle:" (Now we can have a good spat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).... As a motorist,you have to give PLENTY of room when overtaking a cyclist or be branded a bad driver...How come two Lycra louts can ride abreast on a narrow pavement and a person walking out the gate has to jump for their lives ? it would appear that ALL people who have a bottom facing the floor need to acknowledge that everybody else is at fault...... Come the revolution.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;);)(y)
Tea Bag

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
That's what crossed my mind although I suspect they used to have 2T petrol and now have conventional 4T Diesel. They actually, in my limited experience, sound like a Thwaites dumper.
They have a 'orrible sound to me ... always sound as if the engine is trying to escape the bonnet, but then, when they have "ammended" the limiter probably not a surprise. Some of the young 'uns have even put go faster strips and enhanced exhausts on theirs

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why would you drive to kill them?
I don't they choose to wander around on the phone, wearing head phones, oblivious & think nothing of just stepping out in to the road illegally. No crossing , centre refuge,etc; cannon fodder.
They've made it totally illegal here to cross anywhere other than prescribed places.

IMHO one of the biggest hazards on todays roads is people wearing headphones, particularly in urban areas where they wander round in complete oblivion to their surroundings.
Exactly & as above.
Some of the young 'uns have even put go faster strips and enhanced exhausts on theirs
many come here with all that from new + there are convertibles:giggle:
Have you ever seen how they are made ?? o_OFrightening. :eek:Used to be what was left of one that had burnt out in a local garage. My trailer is better built.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Motorist are one of a number of road users. Part of the problem is some think they are or should be the only ones.

Well, Lets face it, They DO pay more that enough motoring related taxes, to more that pay for all the roads AND a healthy surplus to the exchequer.

IF, you are watching the road and surroundings (and perhaps paying slightly less attention to your speedometer?), you will be far more likely to observe upcoming hazard and reduce forward motion without recourse to braking. And I still like the "2 second rule", as regards the distance between vehicle in front. It is my personal observation that the vast majority of drivers WILL drive too close to the vehicle in front.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Well, Lets face it, They DO pay more that enough motoring related taxes, to more that pay for all the roads AND a healthy surplus to the exchequer.

IF, you are watching the road and surroundings (and perhaps paying slightly less attention to your speedometer?), you will be far more likely to observe upcoming hazard and reduce forward motion without recourse to braking. And I still like the "2 second rule", as regards the distance between vehicle in front. It is my personal observation that the vast majority of drivers WILL drive too close to the vehicle in front.

Well actually pedestrians also pay taxes and also road fund tax if they have a car.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh it is. Just don't drive on the limit all the time
Indeed it is good to know we have someone who is perfect in our midst.. one who never breaks any rules or laws and is totally in control of their lives :notworthy2:

As it seems ok to tell member what to do now, I insist no one can drive a motorhome unless they carry a motorbike of 125cc or more on the back .. It is the sensible thing to do in case of a breakdown :)

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Indeed it is good to know we have someone who is perfect in our midst.. one who never breaks any rules or laws and is totally in control of their lives :notworthy2:

As it seems ok to tell member what to do now, I insist no one can drive a motorhome unless they carry a motorbike of 125cc or more on the back .. It is the sensible thing to do in case of a breakdown :)

Well I've never had a speeding ticket yet.:D:D:D:D

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@moulin 87 The Connection is, in my opinion worse that all the red tops in the UK. Intended for non French speaking Brits in France I am, frequently gob smacked at their inflammatory reporting. We are, sadly, subscribing to a second year as I forgot to cancel the auto renewal, there will not be a third year.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
@moulin 87 The Connection is, in my opinion worse that all the red tops in the UK. Intended for non French speaking Brits in France I am, frequently gob smacked at their inflammatory reporting. We are, sadly, subscribing to a second year as I forgot to cancel the auto renewal, there will not be a third year.

I'm not a subscriber, I'm not sure I ever have been, but I receive an email each week with a few titbits attached, two of which I posted above. Not sure either of these two pieces are inflammatory!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How can you have "private radar" cars:rofl:They have a vested interest in catching people. If you are 'tendering' for the contract then you are going to be wanting to make a profit.If it then involves shareholders it gets even worse.
Same as outsourced parking & other scams the UK does. Anyone who has any type of interest will attempt to generate income even if they do not realise they are doing it.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
How can you have "private radar" cars:rofl:They have a vested interest in catching people. If you are 'tendering' for the contract then you are going to be wanting to make a profit.If it then involves shareholders it gets even worse.
Same as outsourced parking & other scams the UK does. Anyone who has any type of interest will attempt to generate income even if they do not realise they are doing it.

I understand they are tendering to provide a service where for 6 hours per day minimum an employee drives around in an unmarked car collecting data, perhaps on pre-determined routes? What happens to the data is not their concern.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back