LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I thought I’d start a thread for some of the top tips I’ve realised about motorhoming in France, in the hope that it’s helpful to other people. Please add your own!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t plan to eat out at the top restaurant in town on a Sunday or a Monday. They’ll be closed.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
August is both better and worse that you might think for camping. The sites (at least away from tourist hot spots) are not all full, in fact some are almost empty. But shops and restaurants are likely to take their annual holiday then too. Personally, I’d go for July or September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
The iPhiGénie maps app is invaluable in finding good walks. It’s not a great app from the UX perspective but it does work. Not cheap though.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Buying your daily baguette. Definitely the shop must say “boulangerie” on it - if not it might just be a plain old depot, selling other people’s bread. Look for the blue maître boulanger sign to find the best.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
1) Purchase 5 litres of water in a plastic container.
2) Empty the water.
3) Fill up with wine from a cave petrol pump style dispenser.
4) Decant desired amount into a carafe
5) Use frozen grapes to keep temperature down without diluting the wine.
Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 on several occasions
Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 just prior to coming home.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Don't mistake Petrole for Petrol... It's paraffin!

Don't expect Mcdonalds to be the same as the UK

Convenience foods in supermarkets are very sparce

Proper bacon is virtually non existent (considering the proximity to holland!)

You can buy Horsemeat in supermarkets

White Vinegar is extremely strong and mainly used as a cleaning agent

Some villages have automatic cooked pizza vending machines and automatic potato dispensing machines (Yeah...I know)

Most large supermarkets have outdoor washing and drying machines 24/7, powder included.

EVERYTHING is shut on sundays and bank holidays

Due to limited staffing in rural France most public services, post offices, local establishments. town halls, etc only open a few days a week.

You need to be registered by the town hall and have a pass to visit the dump (dechetterie)

A TV licence is included as part of your local taxes.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tip 1

We use Google on the phone to type in -

'Supermarkets around me'
Same for 'Restaurants', 'Boulangeries', 'Diesel' etc.

They come up on a map and can be linked to by clicking on the image.

This gives you links to websites with times of opening etc.

Then click on the ones you like and often they have 'Directions', or addresses for the satnav. - then we put the phone in our cradle on the dash and off we go.

Tip 2

Download 'truckfly' app to get access to truckstops with good 'Menu or Plat de Jour' at reasonable prices - current seems to be about €13 without drinks.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Camping Gaza
Excuse me, but I d like to know what you mean with TV licence? I have never had one and wonder what it is. As for registering at the town hall...AND get a pass... Never did that either. Never had a pass, except a nice Bonjour with a smile. The first time I went to the dump I took a "quittance de loyer" which is the proof I live in the same town where the dump is, and they never asked me a thing and I have a GB . I learn a lot on here about rules I ve never known anything about before.

Deleted User
Don't mistake Petrole for Petrol... It's paraffin!

Don't expect Mcdonalds to be the same as the UK

Convenience foods in supermarkets are very sparce

Proper bacon is virtually non existent (considering the proximity to holland!)

You can buy Horsemeat in supermarkets

White Vinegar is extremely strong and mainly used as a cleaning agent

Some villages have automatic cooked pizza vending machines and automatic potato dispensing machines (Yeah...I know)

Most large supermarkets have outdoor washing and drying machines 24/7, powder included.

EVERYTHING is shut on sundays and bank holidays

Due to limited staffing in rural France most public services, post offices, local establishments. town halls, etc only open a few days a week.

You need to be registered by the town hall and have a pass to visit the dump (dechetterie)

A TV licence is included as part of your local taxes.
Camping Gaza
Excuse me, but I d like to know what you mean with TV licence? I have never had one and wonder what it is. As for registering at the town hall...AND get a pass... Never did that either. Never had a pass, except a nice Bonjour with a smile. The first time I went to the dump I took a "quittance de loyer" which is the proof I live in the same town where the dump is, and they never asked me a thing and I have a GB . I learn a lot on here about rules I ve never known anything about before.

We have had our static caravan(mobil home) in S.Brittany for 12 years and have visited the dechetterie several times each year in UK registered vehicles and never been asked for any form of ID.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Don’t have to register to use our dechetterie, nor did my sister when she lived in Carcassonne.
Maybe it’s just a thing local to some depts.
lots of shops open on Sundays, mostly in tourist areas. We were at Mont St Michel on Sunday and every shop and restaurant was open.

To add a few, many French restaurants close early in the evenings because most locals take their main meals at lunchtime.

You can argue with a Gendarme or Police Officer, if A, they speak English or B, you speak French or C, you have a good case. ( not knowing the law is no excuse)
They aren’t going to shoot you!

Say Bonjour when you walk into a shop. And Au Revoir when you leave. It’s polite and generally expected.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
We have had our static caravan(mobil home) in S.Brittany for 12 years and have visited the dechetterie several times each year in UK registered vehicles and never been asked for any form of ID.

Mine has a barrier and needs a card to activate it from the local public services. guess it depends on the department you live in.

Yes Frankie, you DO need a TV licence! and bacon is impossible to get. (didn't see much argument over that one ha ha!)

AND.... For god's sake I impart all that top secret information... especially about the potato availability 24/7 365 days of the year, ask yourselves, come on, what withdrawal symptoms do you get when you can't get wrap your fingers around, and get a good grip on a Purple Majesty ???....... Come on Mrs!

So...not one like, or a thanks, not even a nice one!! just critique...?

I'm off to join the other website!

Goodbye!

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Mine has a barrier and needs a card to activate it from the local public services. guess it depends on the department you live in.

Yes Frankie, you DO need a TV licence! and bacon is impossible to get. (didn't see much argument over that one ha ha!)

AND.... For god's sake I impart all that top secret information... especially about the potato availability 24/7 365 days of the year, ask yourselves, come on, what withdrawal symptoms do you get when you can't get a hold of a Purple Majesty ??? Come on Mrs!

Goodbye!
I gave you a like for the spuds !

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Camping Gaza

yodeli We have registered at our local Mairie to use the dechetterie and were issued with an electronic card. it should be scanned everytime we go there but we are asked for it perhaps once every 10 visits!! The TV licence has been dealt with earlier

Deleted User

AND.... For god's sake I impart all that top secret information... especially about the potato availability 24/7 365 days of the year, ask yourselves, come on, what withdrawal symptoms do you get when you can't get wrap your fingers around, and get a good grip on a Purple Majesty ???....... Come on Mrs!

Goodbye!

I have given you a like......happy now!:)

My reply was meant to be informative not critical, I agree that the dechetterie policy is likely down to the local Marie.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh, Frankie!:pinocchio:

It is the redevance audiovisuelle which should be included on your taxe d'habitation if you have a TV in your residence principale..... tsk, tsk:giggler:
Now, let me explain. A licence to me and to French people, is a paper, allowing you to do this or that, as in driving licence, or chasing licence or fishing licence. If you don't t show it when asked you can t do whatever you wanted to, chasing fishing...etc.... But TV redevance is a tax, as in road tax English seem to have, we don't.
I don t need a paper to buy my TV set. I buy one, put it in my house and watch the programs. Now, when I receive my papers to declare income tax and it can be a year later, I must leave the box unticked if I have a TV set, or tick it if I haven t got one. This is part of my income tax, and we never use the word licence for that, otherwise you should also have a licence to work. It might be a matter of word for you, but to me it is not, it's totally different. I can buy a TV, keep it for 6 months and sell it, won t have to both declare it and pay for it. Does it make sense?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Goodbye!
We have bought bacon in France so not impossible..BUSBY.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I'm surprised you haven't heard anything from the sites No 1 Francophile Chris
Although he only ever seems to encourage you to drive excessively fast :)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Driving in France is dead easy but watch out if you see a sign like the one below. It basically means people in adjoining roads are liable to pull straight out without stopping.

Paul

12011F3B-0495-4C67-9ECD-3E269374F4C6.jpeg

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Now, let me explain. A licence to me and to French people, is a paper, allowing you to do this or that, as in driving licence, or chasing licence or fishing licence. If you don't t show it when asked you can t do whatever you wanted to, chasing fishing...etc.... But TV redevance is a tax, as in road tax English seem to have, we don't.
I don t need a paper to buy my TV set. I buy one, put it in my house and watch the programs. Now, when I receive my papers to declare income tax and it can be a year later, I must leave the box unticked if I have a TV set, or tick it if I haven t got one. This is part of my income tax, and we never use the word licence for that, otherwise you should also have a licence to work. It might be a matter of word for you, but to me it is not, it's totally different. I can buy a TV, keep it for 6 months and sell it, won t have to both declare it and pay for it. Does it make sense?

yodeli The licence in the UK allows you to watch TV, you are allowed to own a TV without a licence but are not allowed to use it!! But it is a tax used to fund the BBC. There is a similar system for cars and many years ago you needed to pay to have a licence to have a dog, but not a cat.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
yodeli The licence in the UK allows you to watch TV, you are allowed to own a TV without a licence but are not allowed to use it!! But it is a tax used to fund the BBC. There is a similar system for cars and many years ago you needed to pay to have a licence to have a dog, but not a cat.

Correction. Part fund the BBC - other funds come from HM Govenment, i.e. out of all my tax I pay in the UK, but BBC will not allow me to watch many things outside the UK.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back