Four cats in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
We just bought our first motorhome (more photos and details on that soon), and we'll be moving into it full-time in a few weeks.

We did a 20 day rental trip in England to see if we'd like the full-timing lifestyle—and we loved it! Of course we brought along our four cats and they got on surprisingly well.

I'm starting this thread as several users have asked about our experience with keeping cats in a motorhome. So ask your questions here!

We'll be blogging and vlogging soon, but for now check out our Instagram @FulltimingFelines

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Lovely cats :)! The kitties look quite content. Are the allowed to run free in the m/h while you are drinving?
Yes. Smudge is the bravest one and occasionally sits on Maya's lap when she's driving. The other three go into hiding but maybe after a few weeks they'll start coming out when we're in motion.

I know some people say it's dangerous but it really depends on the cat. Our cats have been very calm and won't freak out and dive under the pedals.

American bloggers Gone With the Wynns have 2 cats that they let roam free. Lots of good cat motorhome tips on their blog.

Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with your new home on wheels :). Would you mind opening a new thread about travelling/fulltiming in a moho with cats? I have a dog and 2 cats myself and would never have thought about taking the cats, as I figure they would have to be caged most of the time which they would hate. Therefore, I am very interested to hear if and how it can be managed.
Thanks for the idea to open a new thread!

Our cats don't like being caged either. Why do you think you'd need to keep your cats caged? Are you afraid that they'll dart out when you're going in and out of the door? That hasn't happened to us yet, thankfully. We've also been doing clicker recall training, so if that were to ever happen we'd be able to call them back.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I didn’t think da weed was legal yet...................:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We had Annie on my wife's lap when we were driving. She was far happier there than in the carrier where she'd continuously do anxious meows... but we always had her in a harness that was tethered to the seatbelt. And as a backup, the carrier was between the seats (with a strap attached to the seat base), so she could be stuffed back in there if she decided she wanted to go walkabout.

What happens if Tiddles decides to rub up against the driver's leg when they are changing gear (or worse)? The police could definitely pull you for an unsecured load or driver distraction.

I'm interested to know how good they get on when the van is parked up. Do you let them wonder outside? How far do they go?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
interested to know how good they get on when the van is parked up. Do you let them wonder outside? How far do they go?
Our Daisey is a bit timid as far as going outside, we put her in a harness and extended lead, she normally just sits on the step, and watches the world go by..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We did a 20 day rental trip in England to see if we'd like the full-timing lifestyle—and we loved it!
20 days is but a short holiday .. full-time is not a holiday.. come back after 20 months and let us know how you found it

legally, and for their safety , they should be tethered, or caged to travel .

we have two dogs and going abroad can work out expensive with pets.. Pets passport for each, Eurotunnel is £19 each way for each pet, worming on way back.. .. some sites also charge ..

I would rethink this plan.. one cat is probably doable.. but four.. yikes..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed with 2 cats ( and 2 dogs) for almost 2 years.
One of the cats was 14 when she had to come and live with me and she must have been almost 18 when we set off in the motorhome. She had no problems at all, could go outside as long as were somewhere quiet.
Other cat went out on a lead and harness. They travelled in a very large, sift crate that also doubled as an outside space for them.
Surgical spirit will remove any smell from litter trays. Use best quality litter you can find. I also had a litter catcher mat so they didn't walk bits of it around the motorhome.
You'll also need one or two small cages for transport to vets, taking them out of vehicle in the event of repairs etc..
I'd recommend a contingency fund and plan for getting them out of the van in an emergency ( accident, fire).
At present, cats don't have to visit vet before entering UK but this may change. They do need passports of course.
Crates--- I had 2 very large of this type. Open ends could be put together outside and crates bungeed together to make a good sized space. https://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/dogs_...WrvtaE3UkpVigNaJ0rzJDvOgb8MvFcScaAtLGEALw_wcB

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I don't know of any dog owners that tether their dogs when they go in the car.

I'm interested to know how good they get on when the van is parked up. Do you let them wonder outside? How far do they go?
We take them out for walks on a harness and lead. I read about a lot of people letting them roam free outdoors—maybe we can do that once they're more accustomed to life on the road.

Ragdolls?
Yes, two of them are ragdolls, a seal point (black) boy and a blue point (grey) girl.

we have two dogs and going abroad can work out expensive with pets.. Pets passport for each, Eurotunnel is £19 each way for each pet, worming on way back.. .. some sites also charge ..
We've got the pet passports already. Getting the rabies shots (required for the passport) was around £50 per cat, but only needs to be done every three years I think.

We'll probably do ferry instead of Eurotunnel.

Cats don't need the worming pills, only dogs.

Surgical spirit will remove any smell from litter trays. Use best quality litter you can find. I also had a litter catcher mat so they didn't walk bits of it around the motorhome.
We're using the Link Removed and put it down the cassette toilet. The litter dissolves in water like toilet paper—magic! This really keeps the smells down and I only change the litter every 5-7 days—with four cats!

Disposing of their waste together with human waste is probably a little more environmentally friendly than into landfill.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We'll probably do ferry instead of Eurotunnel.

slightly cheaper at £15 per pet, each way .. and they have to be left in the camper during the crossing

I don't know of any dog owners that tether their dogs when they go in the car.

well, they are breaking the law and can be fined.. they should either be tethered using the rear seat belt, in a cage, or behind the rear seat with a dog guard

Highway Code states:
Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

Breaking the Highway Code doesn’t carry a direct penalty, but drivers could still be pulled over for driving without due care and attention.

This can result in a maximum fine of £2,500 and nine penalty points - and if an unrestrained pet has caused an accident, insurers are unlikely to pay out.

Wording of The Highway Code
Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I would strongly recommend crating for travel. Motorhomes have a lot of space and a lot of hard surfaces. Even sudden braking could result in flying, injured cats. I put one of the large, soft crates on my rear bed and both cats curled up inside and slept. It couldn't move forward because of the wardrobe at the foot of the bed. They all got on so well that I could put a dog and cat in together. Feliway spray might help to settle them.
It is perfectly doable, it's not easy and can be hard work though.
If they are loose in the motorhome during a ferry crossing you have to be careful that a cat doesn't slip past you as you enter the motorhome. I never had this happen on a ferry but the older cat did get past me, unnoticed, when we arrived at a campsite. I walked the dogs on the beach then thought how sweet it was that another black cat was sat under my motorhome........

Last edited:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I dont tether my dog when travelling although it is illegal she lays down and goes to sleep in the back - even using restraints they can get hurt or injured - she always has water available in a bowl as well - and like people some wear seatbelts happily and some dont some pets dont travel very well tied down

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My wife took part in closing the M62 once.

Car in front had a dog on his knee, something went wrong with it, he hit the central armco, bounced into my wife, motorway closed.

Wife OK, car a write off.

Guy did not get charged by Police, never understood this.

I got to drive 30 miles to pick her up. Then 30 miles next to day to empty car. Then many miles to find a replacement car.

All because of a loose dog in a car.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The mathematics of lose objects is quite simple. You brake had and can lose 30 mph in a few seconds. An unrestrained object at the back of the MH has no brakes except the back of your head or the windscreen.

So as an experiment I urge interested parties to dangle a cat out of a car at 30 mph and make it hit the head of another interested party stood by the road.

The more adventurous can repeat the experiment with a microwave.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
The mathematics of lose objects is quite simple. You brake had and can lose 30 mph in a few seconds. An unrestrained object at the back of the MH has no brakes except the back of your head or the windscreen.

So as an experiment I urge interested parties to dangle a cat out of a car at 30 mph and make it hit the head of another interested party stood by the road.

The more adventurous can repeat the experiment with a microwave.
What has dangling a pet outside a window got to do with having them in a vehicle unless you let it poke it's head out of window which is asking for trouble anyway.

And would only touch lower part of seat anyway

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Been traveling for years with our 2 cats whom we secure whilst driving.
A word of warning about cats "roaming free" whilst on the move. Firstly would you allow your child to roam around MH whilst driving? the thing you love - surely the cats fit in the same category as your "loved ones"
Secondly maybe not in the UK, but in Spain and I believe EU generally if spotted by the Police you will be finned.
Then there is the worst case scenario you are involved in an accident the cat/cats/animal get thrown across MH and get hurt or killed? would you ever forgive yourself.
If proved that a cat/dog/animal was a cause of an accident whilst roaming free within a vehicle you will not be covered by insurance.

Having said all that, it's your cats and how you look after them is none of my business.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What has dangling a pet outside a window got to do with having them in a vehicle

It's easier to do a controlled experiment this way. To try and do the simulation inside the vehicle is more difficult so do it as I suggest and you can be sure of finding out how much damage/distraction a cat impact can do.

I've seen many huge dogs in MHs, they'd take out a windscreen or head with ease.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Cats don't need the worming pills, only dogs.

I find this comment very odd.

Our old cat was an outdoors cat & had a nasty habit of picking up worm infestations & needed treatment regularly.
I believe cat worming tablets need to be cat specific. I know that in the case of flea treatment you need cat specific treatment, dog flea treatment is harmful to cats & vice versa.

Sadly its all too easy to bring flea eggs into your home or motorhome on your feet.

Good luck...Robert.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It's easier to do a controlled experiment this way. To try and do the simulation inside the vehicle is more difficult so do it as I suggest and you can be sure of finding out how much damage/distraction a cat impact can do.

I've seen many huge dogs in MHs, they'd take out a windscreen or head with ease.
My dog lays in her bed behind seat and she just sleeps even hardish braking she is protected by the bed and cushion being up against seat - probably just lucky as she travels very well - if she was all over the place i would restrain her

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
- probably just lucky as she travels very well -

Fair enough and 99.9999% of the time you'll be fine, but you have seen the various MH crash pictures on here, that's when it gets tricky and who knows a dog could come off worse in a cage than loose, it's all down to luck. That sums up life doesn't it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I find this comment very odd.

Our old cat was an outdoors cat & had a nasty habit of picking up worm infestations & needed treatment regularly.
I believe cat worming tablets need to be cat specific. I know that in the case of flea treatment you need cat specific treatment, dog flea treatment is harmful to cats & vice versa.

Sadly its all too easy to bring flea eggs into your home or motorhome on your feet.

Good luck...Robert.
I guess the reference was to the need for worming before returning to the UK. This is done because of one specific species of tapeworm which can be a danger to humans. It isn't carried by cats I guess so that is why there is no requirement to worm them. :)

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Yes, I'm just going by what our vet told me.

We do use Broadline which covers ticks, fleas, tapeworm, heartworm, hookwoorm, roundworm. I think those deworming pills for dogs cover another kind of worm.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Four of these ... job done.

cn316dolyl3z.gif

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Perhaps we could setup a cargo net behind the cab area or something like that to keep the cats out while driving. That addresses the concern with the cats interfering with the driver, but not the hard braking scenario.

We just bought a Hymer 534 with a U-lounge in the back. I believe it's rated for four passengers and two passengers can legally ride in the U-lounge if they sit on the side facing seats, even though there are no seat belts in the back at all. How does that work? I suppose they wouldn't go flying as much as if they were facing forward, but it seems about as (un)safe as a loose pet.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I guess the reference was to the need for worming before returning to the UK. This is done because of one specific species of tapeworm which can be a danger to humans. It isn't carried by cats I guess so that is why there is no requirement to worm them. :)[/QUOTE

As someone once said, "Every Day is a School Day"

Ah we live & learn....Robert.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back