Ford Transit Custom ( SWB ) - Awning Advice... (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
I don't want to drill any new holes in the body, so was hoping to use the existing roof rack pre-drilled / thredded things to attach an awning to. However I assume I'd need an awning with either flexible fixing points or an exact match. Anyone else done something similar?

I was also thinking of something like moonshade if it's a no go-er.

https://moonfab.com/

I don't know though if I'd need to add roof rails and attach the moodshade to it each time.

Last question - with a "flimsy" awning - what to people use to secure it ( in case the wind blows? ) I was thinking to take some of those blocks you can but for patio furniture umbrellas if you can't peg into ground.!

LilacSea

Free Member
Jan 10, 2020
Powys
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 70Q
Exp
We attached a drive away awning using throw over straps. We threaded the usual Keder 4-6mm tape onto the edge the awning as usual, I had punched three eyelet holes through it with a crafting tool, then tied it over the top of the van with guy ropes from the eyelets...for light weight awnings what about storm straps?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
We attached a drive away awning using throw over straps. We threaded the usual Keder 4-6mm tape onto the edge the awning as usual, I had punched three eyelet holes through it with a crafting tool, then tied it over the top of the van with guy ropes from the eyelets...for light weight awnings what about storm straps
Thanks for that - where on the van did you attaché it to?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

LilacSea

Free Member
Jan 10, 2020
Powys
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 70Q
Exp
Hi sorry for delay, no attachment on the van, just guy ropes over and pegged down other side, the keder rail was threaded on the edge of the air awning, we dont have a roll out awning on the van.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You can buy a magnetic strip to attach to the side of the van, no need for holes

Upvote 0

LilacSea

Free Member
Jan 10, 2020
Powys
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 70Q
Exp
We actually just bought a rail to stick on the side just fits above the door so can go more or less the entire length of the van but its not magnetic just a slide in.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back