Food to EU after Brexit. (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
This is a question that has been around the block several times but still no comprehensive answer..What food stuffs can we take/ not take to the EU now we are a 3rd Country?? For instance, if we buy Danish bacon in Asda, can we take it to the EU seeing as how it originated in a EU country, was exported bulk to the UK and then was packaged here. Can we take home made pre-cooked frozen meal portions, i.e. cottage pie mix across in our freezer for personal consumption. What about long life milk, and breakfast cereals?
Is there a definitive list anywhere and if not why not?
We hate food waste and would be very upset if some official in Dieppe decided to bin our perfectly good (and safe) food.
As our food safety standards are higher than a most, if not all, of the EU, this just feels like bloody mindedness, or is this just profit driven? Am I getting it all wrong?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Information will be in mmm on the 27th of May. I think that the rules apply to all countries outside the EU not the UK in particular.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tim P
Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
So there is already a list of Non EU countries ie Switzerland, that are exempt from this ruling why is the UK not just added to the list.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Info here

Don’t think it matters where the food was produced Or originally from.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is a question that has been around the block several times but still no comprehensive answer..What food stuffs can we take/ not take to the EU now we are a 3rd Country?? For instance, if we buy Danish bacon in Asda, can we take it to the EU seeing as how it originated in a EU country, was exported bulk to the UK and then was packaged here. Can we take home made pre-cooked frozen meal portions, i.e. cottage pie mix across in our freezer for personal consumption. What about long life milk, and breakfast cereals?
We hate food waste and would be very upset if some official in Dieppe decided to bin our perfectly good (and safe) food.
As our food safety standards are higher than a most, if not all, of the EU, this just feels like bloody mindedness, or is this just profit driven? Am I getting it all wrong?
Unless you are eating bacon for medical reasons then no bacon I'm afraid. :confused:
Customs control 2021
You are not allowed to take meat or meat products to France apart from fish or fish products (up to a maximum of 20kg). You are not allowed to take milk, cheese, yoghurt or other milk-based products except for infant milk, infant food or food required by humans or pets for medical reasons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
So there is already a list of Non EU countries ie Switzerland, that are exempt from this ruling why is the UK not just added to the list.
Switzerland is in the Single Market so have the same agreement on food standards etc the UK choose not to remain in the Single Market an option they could have chosen as replacement for full membership of the EU.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Info here

Don’t think it matters where the food was produced Or originally from.
Excellent. Many thanks for posting. In short we "are not allowed to bring in meat, milk or their products". Makes sense considering the 2001 Foot and Mouth outbreak came from a single farm where pigs probably fed food waste from personal imports from the Far East (and that we exported to the rest of the EU). So it's more than likely that we wrote the EU rule you quoted!
A pity that we are now just another foreign country. Guess us getting a Switzerland-like exclusion would have required adjudication by the European Courts, so unacceptable. So the food rule is what we chose.
FYI - source of data on the 2001 F&M outbreak:

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You either smuggle it and accept it may be confiscated or you buy when you get there.

Our govt decided not to align with EU food standards.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I'd not bother taking any meat or dairy or maybe a pint or two so if I need to get rid, I'll just drink it. There's a well stocked Lidl on the 2nd or 3rd roundabout out of the Dieppe port. We've had a 7.5m motorhome in the carpark a couple of times, no worries.

Same at the likes of Ouistreham, you pass two supermarkets leaving the town, Carrefour & Lidl. Big Auchan by the hippodrome on the way out of Cherbourg, carpark is huge, if you head out of St Malo towards the aquarium there's an Intermarché and a Carrefour., the latter has better parking.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the UK choose not to remain in the Single Market an option they could have chosen as replacement for full membership of the EU.
Unfortunately they couldn't.If they wanted to they had also to remain in the free movement for people so there would not have been a lot of point leaving.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Its very annoying, but what was voted for. What's even more annoying (to me) is that if you bring an extra bottle of wine over the duty free allowance, which is not very generous, you are charged duty on the whole lot. That is in the control of Boris.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I take what i want and will continue to do so, if anyone wants to count 300 creme eggs at the border they are welcome :LOL:

We (in normal times) cross borders and bring back things we are not supposed to on a weekly occurrence. My calculation is that once in a blue moon i'll get the lot take off me, no big deal as i'll have enjoyed it the other 100 times previously.

I got stopped 4wks back coming back from Italy, they weighed all the prosciutto and it came in about 100grms within range (just by chance), he guy hadn't spotted the 2nd bag i had under my coat:sneaky: there's always ways around it and some good tactics like following an Eastern European plated car as it will always get stopped before you do(y)

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
For me it’s not the obvious things, it’s stuff like........

Gravy granules
Oxo’s
Coffee pods
Other stuff like that I can’t remember.

Oh and “Milk” Chocolate😂😂

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just abit like it was years ago. way before we joined the eec etc .
france customs or uk customs could and did do searches . not all the time but did do them.
remember my mum and dad having to give sausages away or should i say throw them in a bin.
coming back was same but different things .
it was a hide and seek game.
mind food ,clothes etc were alot cheaper over there than in uk then.
as a kid always had french,spanish or italian clothing ,spain was really good for shoes and leather goods then.
seem to have got rid of cheap things abroad now .other than fags and beer etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back