Folding electric mountain bike. Advice please. (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Is it possible to get a folding electric mountain/all terrain bike.
Does any one have one and would they recommend the model or brand they have.
We won’t be using them to go helI for leather on trails although we are finding our current folding bikes let us down in anywhere but an urban location.
Our garage door is only 100cm tall which is why I’m thinking folding.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
You could take the front wheels out of normal bikes and they sit a lot lower and secure for storage

www.radfazz.de for the bike storage

6B20EB2F-A64E-4409-8C74-24A3D5E43569.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A folding E mountain bike is going to be really heavy. I don’t think you need to get folding with a 1 meter high door.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Is it possible to get a folding electric mountain/all terrain bike.
Does any one have one and would they recommend the model or brand they have.
We won’t be using them to go helI for leather on trails although we are finding our current folding bikes let us down in anywhere but an urban location.
Our garage door is only 100cm tall which is why I’m thinking folding.

Hi, I’ve got some insight here having set our garage up to take both of our MTB’s with the front wheels out, and also having sold folding bikes (at retail & distribution) and helped set up a folding bike brand from scratch.

Don’t do it! They’ll fail at the main hinge eventually as all folding bikes, with the exception of Brompton, do. All of the strain will be through the main hinge and they’ll start creaking and get slack which will drive you insane.

We have a similar set up to the pic above and it works well. It’s a little bit of a faff, but not much more than having to fold up two bikes. Also our bikes are a lot more secure. I’ll try and get some pics of our set up for you later.

We’re quite serious about our MTBing though, and want our bikes to ride properly off road on challenging terrain. If you just want a couple of bikes to pootle about on then just bite the bullet and get a couple of Bromptons. The ride quality isn’t great due to the 16” wheel size, but they hold their value, are reasonably reliable when specced correctly, and have a certain amount of caché.
If you want to go off road at all, and want your bike to last, then get proper MTB’s!

Drop me a PM if you want any advice or help.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
At the minute we also put a Suzuki address scooter in the garage as well.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Hi, I’ve got some insight here having set our garage up to take both of our MTB’s with the front wheels out, and also having sold folding bikes (at retail & distribution) and helped set up a folding bike brand from scratch.

Don’t do it! They’ll fail at the main hinge eventually as all folding bikes, with the exception of Brompton, do. All of the strain will be through the main hinge and they’ll start creaking and get slack which will drive you insane.

We have a similar set up to the pic above and it works well. It’s a little bit of a faff, but not much more than having to fold up two bikes. Also our bikes are a lot more secure. I’ll try and get some pics of our set up for you later.

We’re quite serious about our MTBing though, and want our bikes to ride properly off road on challenging terrain. If you just want a couple of bikes to pootle about on then just bite the bullet and get a couple of Bromptons. The ride quality isn’t great due to the 16” wheel size, but they hold their value, are reasonably reliable when specced correctly, and have a certain amount of caché.
If you want to go off road at all, and want your bike to last, then get proper MTB’s!

Drop me a PM if you want any advice or help.

Paul
So I’m now looking for a electric mountain bike with quick release front wheel.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How about these

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Doubtful you’ll find one as most new MTB’s come with bolt through axles now. Easier to use & safer than the old QR style axles.

Can you let me know a rough budget and I can make a suggestion. If you let me know where you live I can recommend your best local shop.
PM me if that’s best for you.

Paul

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
How about these

Please don’t waste your money. Never has the maxim “buy cheap (and this is very cheap), buy twice” been more true.

Paul

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
All mountain bikes Ive looked at recently have quick release wheels. Either by a skewer, or on better bikes a bolt that just winds out with allen key.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure if this would be of interest to you.
I converted my old but good quality mountain bike to an ebike with a mid drive kit and a good size battery back in March at the beginning of lockdown as a trial to see if I would use it much before considering the substantial investment in a 'proper' E mountain bike.
Honestly, it's excellent. I've done over 500 miles since converting with no problems at all. It took almost no getting used to and goes anywhere! Big hills, off-road, single-track, it's excellent. Range is realistically about 80 to 100 miles. Cost me around £800 and about half a day to fit. IMG_20200807_103419487.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_100528345.jpg
    IMG_20200616_100528345.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 52

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Not sure if this would be of interest to you.
I converted my old but good quality mountain bike to an ebike with a mid drive kit and a good size battery back in March at the beginning of lockdown as a trial to see if I would use it much before considering the substantial investment in a 'proper' E mountain bike.
Honestly, it's excellent. I've done over 500 miles since converting with no problems at all. It took almost no getting used to and goes anywhere! Big hills, off-road, single-track, it's excellent. Range is realistically about 80 to 100 miles. Cost me around £800 and about half a day to fit. View attachment 440027
Where did you get the kit from?

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
We've had two 'Riese and Muller- Tinker' E-Bikes for a few years and we're very pleased with them. Admittedly they are expensive to buy but the build quality, usability and comfort are excellent.

Our's are on 20" wheels with switchable power settings, multi gears, guards, lamps and carriers etc. Strictly speaking they don't 'fold' as in the frame is in one piece, however, they are suited to being carried on a MH because the handlebars and handlebar stock have quick release catches, meaning the bars can easily be turned sideways in line with the frame, and the stem can lowered to make stowage easier and to load straight into the garage side by side. No spanners required.
Though to be honest we just put ours onto a Thule tow bar bike rack.

We got our e-bikes from On-Bike at Worcester, highly recommended and they actually let you try any of the bikes out on the street. (You might have to leave a hostage in the shop;))

Since we bought our's they now stock a similar sized bike that has a fully folding frame. Again, not a cheap jobby, but top quality build, and IMHO, far superior to a Brompton for example.
A lot depends on your budget. (y)

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Samebike LO26 26” foldable e-bike.

Have two and loads of people using them and they are well built.

7BE02EE1-C2EC-4896-8462-D8BA34D18D8F.jpeg

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Where did you get the kit from?
I used Besbike, a UK supplier A few quid more than on eBay but everything arrived in just a couple of days. Excellent service 👍.
If you want more info just message me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back