Flyscreen on Remis Blind not retracting (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The Flyscreen on my small Remis Blind is not retracting. I would like to dismantle it to see if it can be re-tensioned or else to replace the spring.

However I cannot see any way of getting to the mechanism. There don't appear to be any visible fixing screws, so does the surround just unclip?

Before I apply too much brute force, I would appreciate some advice on how to get it apart!

Thanks, John

WP_20180421_001[1].jpg

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The Flyscreen on my small Remis Blind is not retracting. I would like to dismantle it to see if it can be re-tensioned or else to replace the spring.

However I cannot see any way of getting to the mechanism. There don't appear to be any visible fixing screws, so does the surround just unclip?

Before I apply too much brute force, I would appreciate some advice on how to get it apart!

Thanks, John

View attachment 226283
I am afraid that you need a leap of faith, grab with both hands and pull down hard. You will see that the prongs on the cover engage with rubber sockets (or the other way around) I used a bit of dry lubricant on them to make the next failure easy to fix. And believe me, you will........ usually one of the bits of cord come off a guide.

Tip: look very, very carefully how the cord is threaded before messing with it. Usually an easy fix, though.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Yes, it just pulls off - CAREFULLY!
Ease it off all the way around the surround.
One of the strings is probably caught up. Some good videos on YouTube for repairs etc. (had to fix mine last week as one of the guides snapped off - superglue was my friend!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, it just pulls off - CAREFULLY!
Ease it off all the way around the surround.
One of the strings is probably caught up. Some good videos on YouTube for repairs etc. (had to fix mine last week as one of the guides snapped off - superglue was my friend!)

“CAREFULLY” - but it needs a good hard pull to get it off :Eeek:

On the last van, I fixed one about four times....... not the best bit of design. And rub talcum powder on the lip seal of the actual rising roof light. The rubber sticks, and with only a single raising arm on the 400x400 ones the fitting distorts and can fracture the roof light itself......

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
@BreweryDave @DuxDeluxe

Well I wish all "fixes" were that simple!!

I watched a YouTube video, eased it off gently by inserting a knife, and then pulled firmly. Laid it on a flat surface and pulled the flyscreen out and it retracted perfectly!! Decided to leave well alone, so vacuumed out all the dirt, applied talc to the rubber, and refitted it.

Thanks for your swift and helpful replies!

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back