Flea meds (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use Advocate spot on treatment.

You need to find out if Lungworm is an issue in your area. Your vet will be able to tell you.

If it is then you need to make sure whatever treatment you use is effective against them. Most aren't.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you sign up to a vet plan you get the advocate included within the price.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use Advantix etc however when in France we popped into a pharmacy in a large mall to see what was on offer as lots of stuff is available there rather than from just a vet ... we found these which do the same as the 'expensive' products but much, much cheaper:

IMG_20161026_074742513.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would advise all dog owners to get there dogs hair cut at home as against taking them to a dog salon. We have had pairs of dogs for over 30years . We have found out over a period of years every time they came back from a salon five or six different ones they had flees and we have always used Frontline or a similar .I think a salon must be very difficult to to keep clean with lots of dogs going in and out daily ,in the last 20years we have never had a problem and Shirley checks them regularly , a good quality treatment should be used at all times and one that covers ticks which when living in the country we have had the odd one or two , easy to remove with the correct tool but if missed the medication you use should kill them off quickly .Love your dogs keep them well and enjoy .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use Advantix etc however when in France we popped into a pharmacy in a large mall to see what was on offer as lots of stuff is available there rather than from just a vet ... we found these which do the same as the 'expensive' products but much, much cheaper:

View attachment 131975

We use Advantix as well when we're far enough South to need Sandfly cover.

It doesn't protect against Lungworm though so no use for us for the regular treatments.

French pharmacies are cheaper than vets even for the two Bayer products. (y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Advantix also kills sandflies which are prevalent in Mediterranean areas. Do you know if the one in your post does?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Advantix also kills sandflies which are prevalent in Mediterranean areas. Do you know if the one in your post does?
I'll get it out later and have a shuftie as I can't remember!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My vet told me last time I was there that there have been a recent couple of cases of Leishmaniasis in the South of the UK in dogs that have never left the country.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I found Beopheure spot-on liguid, (not sure of spelling) or powder.
Vet in France told us there is a tablet now so when we got home our Vet got some in for us but didn't tell us price.
£40.00
That's just one tablet lasting 3 months!
If you have a prescription you can get it slightly cheaper online.
No I didn't buy it!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here you go @ShiftZZ stick your postcode into this http://www.lungworm.co.uk/lungworm-map/

If it comes up with cases in your area then you need something that's effective against them.

At one time Advocate was the only thing that offered effective protection but that may well have changed now.

It is important because cases tend to be fatal if not diagnosed and treated early.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you sign up to a vet plan you get the advocate included within the price.

Prices they charge now in the UK I should think so.:LOL:
I use whatever the vets use when having it done with there + advantix/advocate/frontline/ something from an online vets
/ the stuff they sell here in Icelands.:) at other times. Which reminds me that I was going to splash him all over today (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I thought you said Advocaat. No wonder the dog is falling all over the place after licking herself
IDShot_540x540.jpg

Hic, good cure though!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I know I'll get shot down in flames (again) but I would be very wary of the new tablets which stay in the dog's system for 3 months.

If the dog has an adverse reaction - seizures, gut problems, skin lesions or even worse - there is no antidote.

It would seem that the manufacturers did not do adequate testing on animals.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know I'll get shot down in flames (again) but I would be very wary of the new tablets which stay in the dog's system for 3 months.

If the dog has an adverse reaction - seizures, gut problems, skin lesions or even worse - there is no antidote.

It would seem that the manufacturers did not do adequate testing on animals.

I quite agree. (y)

The only 3 month thing I would ever use is tapeworm treatment, Droncit or whatever, because that is the standard and is proven.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We visit Anglesey a lot and the dogs often pick up ticks so I use frontline before a visit. Vet said as long as a couple of weeks between Advocate and Frontline - no problem but don't give them together

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Advocate and Drontal, likely to add in Advantix for tick cover once the van's finished.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Vet said as long as a couple of weeks between Advocate and Frontline - no problem but don't give them together

That applies to any Imidacloprid based flea treatment.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Advocate and Drontal, likely to add in Advantix for tick cover once the van's finished.

You also need to leave 2 weeks between Advocate and Advantix treatments.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Yep, Bayer says atleast a week, but alternating two weekly at the height of tick season would seem most sensible.

For now they're low risk for ticks so going with Advocate for it's broad spectrum and lungworm cover (greyhoudn and lurcher and so ticks would be relatively easy to see)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Can I just add that the 3-month tablets don't kill ticks until they have latched-on and fed. This leaves the dog open to infection from the tick until it dies and drops off.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
That's the case for any tick treatment Janine. The theory is that the shortest time attached the better - in human medicine less than 24 hours is often quoted. It's minimising risk of transmitting tick borne disease

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've always used Frontline but for the first time it had no effect this summer so we went on to Nexgard which is a chewable tablet. It appears to have done the trick but they're not cheap, are any?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Advocate and drontal with a Scalibor collar if required.
Were considering the 3 month tablet though

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Always Frontline, but changed to Advocate & Advantix when we did our tour of France / Span. Stupidly ordered 4 months supply from my local vets before we left, did not realise how much the bill was going to be!!!!. Found out later would have been a lot cheaper to get a prescription from the vets and order them online or even cheaper still to have bought them in France. Oh well you live and learn. Anyway now back home for the winter so back on Frontline and Drontil, both of which you do not nets vets prescription so get get the best price on line (our vet charges £11 per prescription, is this the norm?).
Tweed says that Frontline and Drontil works for him, keeps the pesky's at bay (lungworm not an issue as far as we are aware here at present). Anyone know why you need a prescription for some flea treatment and not others when on the face of it the ingredients seem to be the same?? whoops sorry just realised have hijacked the thread sorry:sneaky::sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back