Fitting a new head unit - connections to camera (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
hi, I am trying to fit a new (to me) double din head unit. the rear view camera is terminated in a din jack plug with three wires

20190310_122235.jpg

however the connection at the rear of the head unit is a standard phono connection

20190310_122434.jpg

can anyone point me in the right direction please for the correct connector/adapter or a solution? thanks

I am assuming the three wires from the camera will be 1 as the video signal and the other 2 for stereo sound

this is the sort of thing but I need a female jack plug and male phono ends without having to use additional converters/adapters

camcorder.small.jpg

and this one

$_57.JPG

I think they will do the job!!

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I am assuming the three wires from the camera will be 1 as the video signal and the other 2 for stereo sound

Are you sure it's video + stereo audio?
Wouldn't think the rear view camera would have audio (never mind stereo!).
For it to have video and stereo audio it would (probably) have to be a 4 pole jack plug.
Do you have a double rear view camera fitted? If so, are the connections camera 1, camera two and a common return (for both)?
Something like this would convert from 3.5mm jack to rca sockets but how you would use it \ would it work?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
how do I found out if its a double rear view camera? it looks like a factory fitted camera on a 2008 swift bolero. came with a blaupunkt radio and camera set up already installed but we wanted a larger screen

ps - our previous motorhome had a rear camera with sound !!

pps it does have a four pole jack plug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
how do I found out if its a double rear view camera? it looks like a factory fitted camera on a 2008 swift bolero. came with a blaupunkt radio and camera set up already installed but we wanted a larger screen

ps - our previous motorhome had a rear camera with sound !!

pps it does have a four pole jack plug
So it does.:doh:
Teach me not to look at the photo and only the text!
Did your previous Blaupunkt display output from two different cameras (either side by side of independently)?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
ive done some digging around and removing panels

the 3.5 din jack plug terminates into 3 phono plugs which plug into what I assume to be an original module

20190311_105034.jpg

into this module are two cables taken from the rear of the existing radio connections. I assume these to be + and - power supply to the module which then in turn feeds the camera (the module might be an amplifier of some sort?)

then a single wire is taken out and is attached to and runs alongside the camera wire - not sure what this wire is for yet as I would assume the camera cable already contains a live feed from the module (with the negative to the camera being introduced near to the camera ??) but it may be a + live to the camera if the camera can be focused or its orientation changed? - can anyone with a swift bolero 2008 clarify that please?

I am currently stuck though on a singe wire red/grey which goes down under the dash somewhere. my initial thoughts are that it is either connected to the handbrake to allow video display when stationary or more likely its a reverse gear connection that automatically turns on the rear view camera when reverse is engaged - as that seem more appropriate

20190311_105506.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back