fitting a dc to dc charger to sargent ec155 (1 Viewer)

jessestrum

Free Member
Jul 14, 2021
richmond yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
8 years caravaning
hi is there anyone who can advise me , i bought an EC 155 PSU for my ducato which is euro 6 and i need to fit dc to dc charger. just stuck on what relay to buy, i have the sargent wiring diagram , has anyone done the same installation , or know a motor home electrician in darlington area

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
There is a guy on eBay who sells b2b chargers much cheaper than the big outfits who might we worth a shout. Otherwise the Tech departments of sterling or victron should give you a steer as would Sargent themselves. I'm no expert but I cannot see how they would interfere with each other...?

Cheers James

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
hi is there anyone who can advise me , i bought an EC 155 PSU for my ducato which is euro 6 and i need to fit dc to dc charger. just stuck on what relay to buy, i have the sargent wiring diagram , has anyone done the same installation , or know a motor home electrician in darlington area
Hi
We have a sargent ec500 system along with a victron orion 30amp B2B with no problems

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fitted a Stirling 60a B2B with a Sargent 325 unit... No problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jessestrum

Free Member
Jul 14, 2021
richmond yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
8 years caravaning
thanks very much for advice TCG and JAWS thats made me feel better, i feel confident to wire it in, sargent say i need to put a relay in about 30 to 40 amp , just a bit confused about deactivating the split charge in the psu and where the d+ signal is . thanks again

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
thanks very much for advice TCG and JAWS thats made me feel better, i feel confident to wire it in, sargent say i need to put a relay in about 30 to 40 amp , just a bit confused about deactivating the split charge in the psu and where the d+ signal is . thanks again
They said that to me..
I just left all as was and nailed the B2B in... All worked fine but then I thought... good opportunity to get rid of the stupid 'no 12v in the hab area when running' brit van thing
So I sussed out which wire was used to detect the 12v up to the Sargent box and just cut it..
So now got a decent charge, and all the electrics work whether the engine is running or not
I have done the same on a couple of Sargent equipped vans and it has always ( so far ) been a thin orange wire

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted a Victron orion to my lithium and I have the EC155, no issues. fire up and getting full amps into the battery The funny thing was I was expecting a smart alternator too on my 2019 van, but it isn't ??
youll poss find a d+ and the fridge on the floor behind the drivers seat

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
They said that to me..
I just left all as was and nailed the B2B in... All worked fine but then I thought... good opportunity to get rid of the stupid 'no 12v in the hab area when running' brit van thing
So I sussed out which wire was used to detect the 12v up to the Sargent box and just cut it..
So now got a decent charge, and all the electrics work whether the engine is running or not
I have done the same on a couple of Sargent equipped vans and it has always ( so far ) been a thin orange wire
Hi Jaws
Is this orange wire actually in the sergeant unit or in the fuse box on the floor behind drivers seat.
Also if you disconnect it does the step still automatically retract when you start the engine

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Jaws
Is this orange wire actually in the sergeant unit or in the fuse box on the floor behind drivers seat.
Also if you disconnect it does the step still automatically retract when you start the engine
It goes in to the Sargent box
The step circuit is not affected.

• Thanks
Reactions: TCG
OP
OP
J

jessestrum

Free Member
Jul 14, 2021
richmond yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
8 years caravaning
tombola thanks for some good input, i did 2 tests on my 2018 ducato for a smart alternator, 1 i looked for a small sencsor type thingio on my battery neg terminal and couldnt find one. 2 i did a check with a multimeter with engine running it was about 14.3v and after 10min it went down to 14.1 v. i assumed it was not a smart alternator. the guy in the fiat garage said at that year they all had smart alternators its doing my head in .apparantly you could order the van without

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
tombola thanks for some good input, i did 2 tests on my 2018 ducato for a smart alternator, 1 i looked for a small sencsor type thingio on my battery neg terminal and couldnt find one. 2 i did a check with a multimeter with engine running it was about 14.3v and after 10min it went down to 14.1 v. i assumed it was not a smart alternator. the guy in the fiat garage said at that year they all had smart alternators its doing my head in .apparantly you could order the van without
Dealer told me Autotrail requested some without , but cant do that any more.
How true it is I dunno, but I defo dont drop below 14v and all points to "dumb"

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I fitted a Sterling 60A B2B to a camper with an EC400 if that is of any help. I also fitted a relay to cut the power from the alternator so that the B2B was able to do its job properly. It was a blue/white wire on my system that is the 12V+ ignition live. Easy job to find with a multimeter if you are unsure as I do see the references to an orange wire in previous posts. I have also been tempted to cut the ignition wire into the EC400 but I once started the van with the EC400 turned completely off and drove with the step out. I missed my house by 1 to 2 inches!! I got the diagram below from soneone on the SWIFT forum when it was still active last year.

Did a bit of quick googling in the meatime. Have a look at

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/threads/waeco-cr50-with-sargent-ec155.108176/ and

From a quick look it appears there is a red wire for the fridge that is also engine on signal.. You should be able to use that for your relay.

Happy hunting :)
1626860451275.png

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you get any trouble with things like water tank full alarm etc sounding as you take corners or anything Jaws
No.. but then I have not got a water tank full alarm ! :)
Having said that, as I run with full tanks I think I would disconnect such a thing any way.. Nowt but a bit of fluff and more than a slight nuisance ( just my opinion.. )

Always worth remembering it is YOUR van.. not a rental... You should always aim for a set up that YOU like and not be afraid of modifications :)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Always worth remembering it is YOUR van.. not a rental... You should always aim for a set up that YOU like and not be afraid of modifications
Agreed, 100%.
I have the b2b set up atm and an inverter running when driving to charge up leccy bikes etc or run frdige on better than 12v if needs be. works a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back