Fitted another Solar Panel today (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Fitted a 100watt panel the other week but after 3 days at Stratford it wasn't enough so decided to fit another, plus change the charging system around.
Our Autocruise has the Sargent system, which controls every aspect of the motorhome even how much the alternator charges the leisure batteries. On the Solar side you are limited to 10amps of Solar.
So today I fitted another 100watt panel and wired it into the 100watt I fitted two weeks ago, bought MPPT solar regulator, disconnected the existing regulator and just left it with the 40watt panel Autocruise fitted, by going in to the dealer settings on the control panel, you can tell the Sargent controller to only charge the engine battery on solar, I think 40watts is enough for that.
I mounted my new solar regulator in with my leisure batteries and both my 100watt panels feed directly into my new regulator, which is wired straight to my batteries cutting the Sargent system out of solar charging the leisure batteries. Lets see what its like at Peterborough as I don't have room for any more panels. :happy:
As my regulator is under the seat I also bought a remote panel so I can see whats going on.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You can always add a portable folding if no space on the roof. I made a foldable out of two 115w panels with door hinges and a separate controller. I take it out if I’m with the van. If not, the roof will do enough till I return.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fitted a 100watt panel the other week but after 3 days at Stratford it wasn't enough so decided to fit another, plus change the charging system around.
Our Autocruise has the Sargent system, which controls every aspect of the motorhome even how much the alternator charges the leisure batteries. On the Solar side you are limited to 10amps of Solar.
So today I fitted another 100watt panel and wired it into the 100watt I fitted two weeks ago, bought MPPT solar regulator, disconnected the existing regulator and just left it with the 40watt panel Autocruise fitted, by going in to the dealer settings on the control panel, you can tell the Sargent controller to only charge the engine battery on solar, I think 40watts is enough for that.
I mounted my new solar regulator in with my leisure batteries and both my 100watt panels feed directly into my new regulator, which is wired straight to my batteries cutting the Sargent system out of solar charging the leisure batteries. Lets see what its like at Peterborough as I don't have room for any more panels. :happy:
As my regulator is under the seat I also bought a remote panel so I can see whats going on.
See you at Peterborough - I finally got a system that I am happy with (and doesn’t try to set fire to the van)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back