First year MH insurance (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
I’m quite surprised really, I thought it would be astronomical for the first year especially as I can’t use my NCD from the car as I’m still using it!

My license/insurance history is all clean but I was worried by the dreaded question “how many years MH experience do you have?” None!

Still, the best price is £511 and that includes euro cover, euro breakdown, legal cover and onward travel cover. Not bad compared to what I expected.

The company is Advance Insurance. If anyone has used them please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks 🙂👍

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
That actually sounds a bit expensive depending on the van and location. Have you tried Comfort Insurance?
I haven’t, but I will give them a go now, thank you. I’m not sure why but I expected to be paying almost a thousand as MHs aren’t mega safe and very desirable to Burglar Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
That was quick, Comfort came in at £333 but they don’t ask who the owner/keeper is and assume “You are the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle”

The MH will be in my partners name as she is funding it, but she won’t be driving it. Some pleb ran into the back of her at a roundabout in Jan - despite it being a no fault claim it adds about £400 to the insurance if we put her on it now 😡

I think perhaps £511 is the best we will get with our owner/driver situation, thanks again for the suggestion though 🙂

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think it matters who the keeper is, does it? The keeper just means the person responsible for paying the Road Fund Licence (road tax).

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
The keepers name and the insured name do not have to be the same ask Comfort if you wish to confirm if under £60,000 it should be cheap, breakdown cover £62.00 or it was. Bill

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
2020 Benimar Mileo 231, 2.3 150bhp, automatic
I have 11 yrs NCD on the car, no MH experience
Nice van but that £511 sounds a bit expensive even with a bump? When I first took out MH insurance they gave me a discount which considered my car ncb, can’t remember how much though.😊

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
I don't think it matters who the keeper is, does it? The keeper just means the person responsible for paying the Road Fund Licence (road tax).
Not sure why I hadn’t tried this but I’ve done the quotes again and even if I was the registered owner/keeper the quote is exactly the same down to the penny!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Insurance is a minefield😀Some mirror NCB, lots don't give NCB and so none accure and simple a low premium year after year.Most insist that the insured is also the registered keeper. Now lots are insisting on a tracker being fitted on anything above 50 k
Have a search on here for MH insurance it will give lots of company's my own fav is AIB who always find us a good deal or match the new best price on our cars and vans 👍😉

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I’m quite surprised really, I thought it would be astronomical for the first year especially as I can’t use my NCD from the car as I’m still using it!

My license/insurance history is all clean but I was worried by the dreaded question “how many years MH experience do you have?” None!

Still, the best price is £511 and that includes euro cover, euro breakdown, legal cover and onward travel cover. Not bad compared to what I expected.

The company is Advance Insurance. If anyone has used them please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks 🙂👍
If you are not going abroad, then the Europe cover and breakdown can be separated off and paid for if and when you go abroad. Also if you advise a limited mileage. Just take it all into account when the next year's is due. (y)

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Cheers all yes I think the euro cover can wait this time really so that’ll save some money. Breakdown cover I’m not sure about yet as it’s a new van there might already be some cover through Fiat’s warranty.

Apparently ours comes with a tracker, not sure which type but there was a little black box in the cupboard above the microwave with a couple of WiFi-type aerials sticking out of it

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
little black box in the cupboard above the microwave with a couple of WiFi-type aerials sticking out of it
That’s probably not the tracker as that will be hidden out of the way😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The MH will be in my partners name as she is funding it, but she won’t be driving it. Some pleb ran into the back of her at a roundabout in Jan - despite it being a no fault claim it adds about £400 to the insurance if we put her on it now
A couple of years ago I had an accident in my car, my fault, Comfort didn't increase the Motorhome premium.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Try asking for a quote from NFU and they will normally mirror your car NCD

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Try asking for a quote from NFU and they will normally mirror your car NCD
My first years MH insurance is coming up for renewal. I have full NCD for car and 60 foot long 44 tonne lorry. Couldn't get any NCD for MH last year so I will try NFU.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The onward journey check if it’s a motorhome or a hire car when we broke down we could have had a hire car for 1 week And then if broken down and want to fly home you have to arrange it yourself and buy suitcases to put clothes in. insurance companies think you are a car when travelling abroad found this from personal experience and we were with Comfort

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I had a quote from the NFU yesterday, which was £1440. I know that price isn’t their selling lint, but, streuth! Cheapest I’ve seen is £380 (but I doubt that includes windscreen cover)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You can mirror your ncb 55 years. I did with Lifesure you can’t drive 2 vehicles at the same time. Rang them got it cheaper than on line

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had a quote from the NFU yesterday, which was £1440. I know that price isn’t their selling lint, but, streuth! Cheapest I’ve seen is £380 (but I doubt that includes windscreen cover)
An ott quote is a polite way of saying we don't actually want your policy but don't wish to decline a quote

My 4x4 navara was 3 years old and on renewal the policy with another company suddenly leapt up to near £3000 from about £500. I phoned them to query a computer error and the manager I ended up speaking to explained it was company policy that they no longer wanted to insure 4x4 pickups as they were becoming a lifestyle choice for the wrong type of demographic. Therefore they upped the price to prevent unnecessary declinations

mrh74

Free Member
May 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
A S Northants
Exp
since 2019
When got quotes for first year I thought I'd try c&cc as I was a member, 9 years ncb on car but I don't think they considered it. Took all my details and said without pausing £2960! I asked him to repeat thinking he'd missed a decimal point, but no that was their price. Ended up using Advance but will be hitting the phone come renew time, might not bother with the friendly club though.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just going throughthis now with first camper, full no claims discount in car but I have to declare a bike accident 4 years ago. Wife will also be named on policy
Best quote for me with is with Adrian Flux through Compare the Market who came in at £293.
AIB was£330
Saga was £500
Camping & Caravan club £900
Think Adrian Flux will be getting my business

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have you tried Comfort? They've always come in lowest for us.
Just had a look at Comfort as we are due for renewal currently with Safegard
Comfort came out about £100 more for same cover
As ever folk need to shop around
No real rime or reason re what company's charge
Would be suspicious if they all came out the same :RollEyes:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If this is a new Fiat based MH, look at Fiat's Camperassist which is part of their warranty system. It is a European wide breakdown cover. If you have that you may decide you don't need additional cover via your insurer, keeping that first and second years premium down.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I had roughly the same amount last year from the NFU for our van, I allowed them to quote me for my car this year and it came in at twice my renewal price from the current insurers. I don't think I'll be going back!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back